It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Annoying Phrases or Words

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
More Office speak as my eyes glaze over:

"Drill Down"
"Leverage"
"Partnering"

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thecakeisalie
What really irritates me is the misuse of the words 'literally' or 'surreal'.

For example, "My jaw literally hit the floor" sure it did, because i punched it for hearing such a stupid remark.

Or this one- "I seen a guy wearing the same shirt as me, it was surreal" No it wasn't. Seeing a banana playing bagpipes on the forest moon of Endor would be surreal.

And being an Aussie there is one part of our lingo that annoys me: When someone gets asks a question,the response would be "Yeah, Nah."

But the one that grinds my gears the most is that great sporting term "Full credit to the boys". If I had a drink for every time I heard that line I would've succumbed to liver failure years ago.
edit on 1-2-2013 by Thecakeisalie because: I was like trying to spell something when i had this surreal momement where the keys literally jumped out at me.

I agree. Another part of the Aussie lingo that annoys me is "She'll be right" and "Too easy". How can anything be "too easy"? I also notice that just about every surfer that's interviewed is "stoked".

The word "addicting" annoys me when it should be "addictive", as well as "off of" which just sounds stupid.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
“Are you with me”?
Yeah I am, I’m right here idiot!

"Oh man".
How come no one ever says "Oh woman"?

“Go figure”
“Figure what? You want to fill me in on what you’re figuring?”

“Wow that was sick!”
I’m pretty sure I didn’t see “that” throwing up all over the place!

"WICKED”!
I’m still trying to find the definition for that one!

“Quote on quote”
Is there REALLY a way of putting that word on top of the other?

“Oh please”
Are you trying to ask me for sex or something? If so, and you're pretty hot, I might consider it!

edit on 1-2-2013 by Propulsion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by CthulhuMythos
reply to post by Logos23

What's wrong with 'chuffed'? We say it all the time in Scotland, though it means a bit more than just being happy or pleased, it has an additional quality of delighted surprise at an unexpectedly good outcome usually related to a personal achievement or something that turned out really well that someone else did for you rather than being pleased /happy for someone else, e.g. you go to the hairdresser and come out with a totally new look and really like it, you could be really chuffed with the result.

Do note, that 'chuffed' must never be mixed up with word 'chuff/chuffed' in the context of 'the passing of rather offensively odorous gas from the nether regions'..... especially when accompanied by the word 'eggy' unless you are unexpectedly proud of this and feel it was a bit of an achievement, where you may wish to say how chuffed you were with your eggy chuff

Yes the word "chuffed" is also not to be confused with the word "chuff" here...as the latter is sometimes used as another word for errrrmmmmm lady parts

And then we have the word "chuffin" which then take's on a different context ...as in "chuffin hell!" when one is frustrated, annoyed or surprised in a negative way.
I think the word "chuffed" is a northern thing....

Originally posted by AtcGod

Is that where all the slang comes from in Britian? I must say that it seems all British people talk as if they are always asking a question. It took me quite a while to get used to it after moving here 3 years ago and it still gets on my nerves, doesnt it?

I live on a military base and I hear everyone saying sorted.... EVERYONE!!

It's almost like people are constantly checking if you are able to keep up with what they are trying to say or convey....do ya know wot I mean?

I'm not sure where "sorted" came from originally....but I think it is associated with being overused in the North especially in Manchester.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I'm guilty of most of the phrases mentioned, I have to say I am saddened by the idea that apparently I annoy a whole lot of people on here

edit on 2-2-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   
"Assault Weapon" or "clip"

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   
double post...sorry
edit on 2-2-2013 by kommie88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I HATE when people use the word EPIC for everything. That's one of my pet peeves I think.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   
It is perhaps a fair observation that in many of the cases presented here the annoyance was probably caused by a single person who they didn't like anyway, so anything that came out of their mouth grates.

Mine was from when i worked in the US for a few months many years back, and a woman who I really didn't see eye to eye with had ths obsession with saying "I love that" to everything... drove me nuts (not to mention the way she said it!). Everytime someone else said it, it reminded me of that single person. Again, just a phrase made bad by one bad interaction.

I think it was a bit of a Californian phrase at the time.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   
One quote my ex-manager used all the time when we finished a job before the due date or got results the company desired. "Kudos for a job well done people" Kudos, I hate Kudos, what is it, doggy treats. I didn't get any treats, where the hell are my treats!! Argghhh!!

Also when having a conversation with someone and they are not into answering any of your questions or adding any comment, they just say "whatever!" as a response.

The manager always tried to use big words when writing emails to all of his underlings, but the words he used would be out of context, he would write we have a "bolus" of work coming in. Bolus is a chunk of food that your intestines will digest at some point, do not use the term to mean we are getting a ton of work to do. Sounded like something I didn't want, something to throw up into the toilet, Geez!

So many good ones, thanks for the laugh this morning

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   
My on-line disfavorites:

"TL;DR" (Too long, don't read.) Translation: "I'm a lazy piece of crap, and I hope you are too. If I can convince you that some guy is just blowing a lot of hot air, then maybe you won't notice he's actually dome some research for his argument, and I'm just a tool."

"Butt hurt." Translation: I just gay raped you and you're complaining about it.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
EVERY= BODY or ONE

When this is used by some one to explain some thing, really bugs me.

"every one was there!" or "everybody was laughing"

I wasn't there or wasn't doing that, aren't i part of "everyone/body?

OOPS! FORGOT but the one at the top of my list is "AWESOME"

edit on 2-2-2013 by panicman66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by canucks555
Stop being "anal" about the subject.
I hate that word. reminds me of anuses.

Well, it should.

And for the record, I hate it too. A LOT.

"Get on with the program" is another one.

I also dislike all sorts of neologisms that often just show unawareness of older terms.
Like "foodie".
Or maybe they are trying to be cutesy. Either way I don't like it.
BTW, I don't like the word "cute" either.

Os "sweet" as an expression of agreement. < shudder >

edit on 2-2-2013 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by panicman66
EVERY= BODY or ONE

When this is used by some one to explain some thing, really bugs me.

"every one was there!" or "everybody was laughing"

I wasn't there or wasn't doing that, aren't i part of "everyone/body?

OOPS! FORGOT but the one at the top of my list is "AWESOME"

edit on 2-2-2013 by panicman66 because: (no reason given)

Oooh yes!
"Everyone" and "all" are my pet peeves too.
Same goes for "people" (in general): like, "people" do or don't this or that.
Really? People in general?
Why not say it the way it is: "some of the people that I think I know do/don't do this"?

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Snsoc

Fabulous.

Except I hate the term "tool" too.

I HATE when people use the word EPIC for everything. That's one of my pet peeves I think.

Same here.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by saladfingers123456
It is perhaps a fair observation that in many of the cases presented here the annoyance was probably caused by a single person who they didn't like anyway, so anything that came out of their mouth grates.

It is a fair observation, and a very incisive one.

I especially like how you avoided generalization - it shows not only thoughtful writing but a very thoughtful attitude to life in general - and even provided your own example.
I'd like to see people discuss more about this aspect. Thank you for bringing it up.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
ALL THE IDIOTS WHO SAY "YOLO" YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE.
WHY NOT SAY "YODO" AS WELL BECASUE YOU ONLY DIE ONCE.
i cant stand people who say the word "like" every other word, there is a kid i know who does this to the higest degree

or during a debate people who say "okayyy...buuut" ARGH!

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beast Of Gevaudan

as well as "off of" which just sounds stupid.

That's because it is. It shows a lack of logic and absence of thought.
Not a good combination in verbal expression.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by BABYBULL24

Annoying Phrases or Words... everything she says!

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
"I could care less".

I can't stand it when people say this, without realizes what they are actually saying....i always have to mess with people on that.

Also, this is more of a lack of use of a phrase that gets to me, but seems a lot of people these days hate the words "to be". As in "the dog needs fed". No, the dog needs TO BE fed.

I am so glad I am not the only one this drives up the wall.

I hate it so much that I even posted it in my signature so people may get the message that the proper saying is "I couldn't care less".

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join