It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Annoying Phrases or Words

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
The current pet peeve for me would be the term "redoubling"

As in "The police will redouble their efforts" Seriously?! You expect me to believe that they had already doubled their efforts? Not to mention if someone uses it several times, they would be exponentially increasing their efforts.

With the results that are usually attached to such statements it would seem that they (gov't, cops or whoever) either didn't try all that much to start with or they are completely inept. Take your pick.
edit on 1/2/13 by discordantone because: because my keyboard has conspired against me to mispell words... also had to nix an oddly worded sentence

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
Another one:

ORIENTATE

Not a word, people. Orient, oriented, orientation.

Think - Class, classify, classification. You do not classificate something, why would you want to orientate it, too?

Orientate is a word

Only because it has been misused by so many people so often that the dictionaries included it. Like IRREGARDLESS. Wasn't a word before, now it is. The dumbing of America - even the dictionary editors aren't immune.

I'm still going to insist that the correct word is "orient".

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

Thats true with a lot of things these days. You can thank the 90's generation for a lot of the ignorant expressions we have to endure.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by dave_welch
I don't usually get irritated by words or phrases, I've never been a fan of Grammar-Nazis.............................................................
.......................Jesus, I sound like a grammar-nazi....

LOL no # Sherlock! But I have to say, very funny with it
gave me a good old laugh that did

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog

Another one:

ORIENTATE

Think - Class, classify, classification. You do not classificate something, why would you want to orientate it, too?

Orientate is a word

Only because it has been misused by so many people so often that the dictionaries included it. Like IRREGARDLESS. Wasn't a word before, now it is. The dumbing of America - even the dictionary editors aren't immune.

I'm still going to insist that the correct word is "orient".

I didn't think orientate was a word either. Sometimes I say a word out loud a few times to make sure. But you're right. It's in the dictionary now yet there are no example sentences for it.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Another one:

ORIENTATE

I think ex president Bush could classificate something.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Totes Ceebs.

Totally can't be f#%cked.

Too lazy to even talk, let's just descend back to tonal grunts and innuendo.

I blame SMS speak .

I do like FML though.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by BABYBULL24
"Comfort Food" - for some reason i hate this phrase it really pisses me off for no reason.

"Bro or Dude" - whoever says it just want to say shut the heck up you hipster doofus.

All Office Speak like "going forward" &"lets touch base".

You guys have any?

Hey bro, let me ask you something. When you come in on Monday and you're not feeling real well, does anyone ever say to you, "Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays?" Just get back to me on that, you know, touch base with me. Haha, I totally agree with you on the comfort food saying. It is just completely dumb in my opinion, and I do not get it at all. I guess because food does not comfort me.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Annoying phrases and/or words:

We're no strangers to love
Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down

You lost the game.

Epic (unless it was truly epic)

edit on 1-2-2013 by Nemo418 because: forgot to add that you lost the game

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by BABYBULL24

*Elephant in the room" Spew.... i hate it.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I hate it when people say "believe you me".
What does that even mean?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

lets touch base

I actually stopped talking to someone for using that one....a little back story, he had just come back from boot camp (marines) and he was trying to recruit me so I would go through his recruiter and he would get some cash...something like that....everything was fine until he uttered that crap at me.

It was funny too, my face visibly changed the second I heard that gem and he asked, "what is the matter"...to which I responded, "nothing man, we will "touch base" tomorrow after my morning yaaaag (jog) and a light tofu snack"....his face...priceless.....

one I really hate is "rinse and repeat"....also, when people say "2nd" on the internet, or when I hear people say "blah blah blah, it had, a certain, "YO NO SE QUA"...INSTEAD of saying "I dont know what", which is what it means...I may punch you for slipping me that one....

I hate all sorts of useless french words people throw into everyday language for NO REASON. I understand if you say "Coup d'état", but I prefer the middle ground of coup, military coup, political coup ect...also it is pronounced ku-de-tat. I dont think most french words and phrases included into political jargon are necessary...

ALSO I hate when an Italian American (who doesnt speak Italian) corrects you when you say mOtz-er-ela

to which they say, NO, its pronounced "MOOOOOZZZEERRELLLEEEE"...I could scream....

edit on 1-2-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   

A guy at work goes around to everyone and says, "What's new? Anything?"

I hate that!

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by zedVSzardoz

I enjoyed that little rant. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Alas! I digress.

>

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by littled16

I know...right?

.....shakes fist at AfterInfinity as I yell "Get off my lawn ya whipper snapper!"

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I also hate,
"2nd line"

edit on 2/1/2013 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Well, dude, I use these phrases to fit in to your culture. Otherwise I'd be treated, like... an outsider.

It's all about fitting in and being accepted, bro. You people are, mostly, very cliquish and unwelcoming to strangers.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I absolutely hate the expression "wax lyrical".
"Food for thought" is another one.
"There are so many ways to skin a cat" and "Enough room to swing a cat", what's the obsession with torturing cats? I'd like to punch the people that came up with those phrases.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
The word/phrase in Manila and most lowland places in the Philippines I despise is..

"For awhile"

It is the local adaptation of "just a moment", or "one minute please" etc. Except it is used in every unsure situation, in person, on the phone etc. Where someone may say "hold please", you will hear "for awhile". If you ask how long is "for awhile", you get back an uncertain laugh or smile, because they don't know how to respond. Ugh... Hard to explain unless you experience it...

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join