It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How the U.S. gun industry became so lucrative

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
There is a current thread about ammo positioning running on ATS and there was a large brouhaha not to long ago about US government departments buying gzillion rounds of ammunition not to long in the pass and so I started looking for some statistics about how much ammunition the government actually buys per year. Well I haven't found it yet - mostly just hysterical rantings so I'll have to look further but I did come across this article:

How the U.S. gun industry became so lucrative

at: www.washingtonpost.com...

Which says in part:

2. While private citizens still make up the bulk of gun purchases, the industry is also heavily reliant on sales to government agencies.
Back in the late 1990s, the gun industry was actually facing decline, as the economy was humming along and crime fears were subsiding. Then Sept. 11 hit. Thanks to new counter-terrorism measures, law enforcement agencies and the U.S. military started buying up weapons at a faster pace, reviving the industry. Today, government agencies make up 40 percent of industry revenues:

That’s not necessarily good news for the gun industry in the years ahead. States are now paring back on budgets and law enforcement agencies are slowing down their purchases. IBIS World projects the gun industry to grow slightly more slowly in the next five years than it did in the last five.
Case in point: In a recent filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, for instance, Smith & Wesson noted as one of its “risk factors” that it had yet to secure a long-term contract with the U.S. military. “As a result, 89.0% of our net firearm sales remain in the sporting goods distribution channel.”

and includes the following graphics: And forgive me, I am unable to figure out how to actually imbed the graphics in this post.

www.washingtonpost.com...

While not specifically about ammunition sales or positioning, I think this is interesting. Please help me to understand how SAFE I (we) AM (are) with all these guns in circulation (personal 60%, military 25% & Law enforcement 15%). This is insanity. Think of what we could do with this kind of money to make everybody (not just christians or whites or whatever) safer and healthier.

Why do people love and worship guns so much - even more then money it seems - where does Jesus say "Arm yourself and plan on killing all you are scared of?"

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

I found the following article on ammo sales: NOTE: The statistics used are only for acquisitions put out for bid - not, as the article states, No-Bid contracts awarded. Bush II used no-bid for many purchases, Obama not so much. This also does not make any claim on Total Amount of Ammunition purchased or received.

Here's the link.....

thegovernmentrag.wordpress.com...

new topics

join