It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing! Want To See Your DNA? It's Easy, See How!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I am amazed to see that so many of you are questioning something that not only is fact, but that you have been told to be fact, by people who work in this field everyday. A quick google search will confirm this if you do not wish to take their word for it, but do something, get some knowledge on the subject first, and then come back with your opinion. It would save a lot of bad information, or incorrect information, from spreading around. Because someone will read your reply, and think they have their answer.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by JiggyPotamus
I am amazed to see that so many of you are questioning something that not only is fact, but that you have been told to be fact, by people who work in this field everyday. A quick google search will confirm this if you do not wish to take their word for it, but do something, get some knowledge on the subject first, and then come back with your opinion. It would save a lot of bad information, or incorrect information, from spreading around. Because someone will read your reply, and think they have their answer.

Could you elaborate on these...

many of you are questioning something that not only is fact, but that you have been told to be fact, by people who work in this field everyday. A quick google search will confirm this if you do not wish to take their word for it, but do something, get some knowledge on the subject first, and then come back with your opinion

Are you saying this is DNA 100%? OP missed a crucial step in purifying the DNA, any lab manual would mention that.

He does have DNA, it just that it is mixed with many things, 1 more step needed to purify.

___

Also for better result, instead of spitting saliva, get a swab and scrap the inside of your cheek(it won't hurt), remove the head of the swab aseptically and pour in lysis solution(contains both detergent and proteinase).

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Disgusting, utterly disgusting, but cool!

Wow, I always knew that when I spit I was leaving myself all over the place.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Hi anatr, I will try and answer your questions -

It doesn't matter what color the dish soap is.

I guess you can use regular household alcohol as long as it's strong enough, I used vodka which is around 35-40% proof.

I used regular table salt so I don't think it needs to be iodized, unless table salt is iodized, I really don't know.

I'm not sure about the centrifuge but I can't see it giving much of a better visual than what you would get anyway, I stand to be corrected by those who know better. What I can confirm is that the result you see is DNA, it just may not be pure DNA, I'm waiting confirmation on this as one professor says its DNA and someone else says it's DNA mixed with proteins. Either way it's very interesting to see for something so simple.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I dont know if anyone has posted this yet thats actually a way to also tell if you have a yeast infection.. I did it too good thread!

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I have an easier method.
1. Spit on your hand
2.Look there is DNA in there!

You can swish some food coloring in your mouth if you want different colors.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by RiverRunsFree

Great thread OP!

Please dear americans, I'm brazilian and know what "washing-up liquid" is...

Just let it go, the topic is far more interesting.
edit on 1-2-2013 by LordAdef because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
if I want to see my pure DNA, I just need my girlfriend and some minutes of time

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by aLLeKs
if I want to see my pure DNA, I just need my girlfriend and some minutes of time

elaborate on that?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
So.......... someone won a "Nobel" for this?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I just did this and it works, thanks for the info.

I didn't measure anything properly and I used Rum because that's all I had. Amazing!

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

No problem, it is amazing huh, and to think what you are seeing in that small amount contains all the instructions needed to build another you.

After reading a little more on the subject I think I now grasp better what's going on here and I think the quote below describes it best in my opinion -

Originally posted by tgidkp

what you are seeing is great big globs of insoluble (in alcohol) protein that the DNA is wound (and wound and wound again) around. this makes a clump which is large enough to see with naked eye. but you shouldn't imagine that you are looking at a single molecule of the double-helix...DNA is very very tiny.

So what you are seeing is DNA that's wound around protein many times, picture below -

bio.research.ucsc.edu...

It is DNA you see, just lots of it, well I hope I've interpreted it correctly anyway.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by aLLeKs

Missed the biology class in highschool?

Hint.. a sperm only has 23 chromosomes. Cell has 46.

Unless you are talking about a fetus
! then carry on!

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   

it is a mixed reaction! DNA is within the Cell... do you know how small a cell is ? imagine DNA.... in each cells you have a complete DNA sequence.

This is not DNA. I am sorry to bust your bubble. I am a scientist and this is not true all. you cannot even see the DNA structure with the telescope. you need to mix some chemicals etc....

so your mix haha this make me laugh.

have fun

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by IamMagic

it is a mixed reaction! DNA is within the Cell... do you know how small a cell is ? imagine DNA.... in each cells you have a complete DNA sequence.

This is not DNA. I am sorry to bust your bubble. I am a scientist and this is not true all. you cannot even see the DNA structure with the telescope. you need to mix some chemicals etc....

so your mix haha this make me laugh.

have fun

Really? I'm glad I made you laugh, and thanks for the 'lesson'.

I have three scientists saying the same thing, that it is DNA, just lots of it, which has been extracted from cells via dish soap/washing-up liquid and that's wrapped around protein. The reason you can see the DNA is because it's been clumped together via the alcohol ingredient.

And it's not MY mix, it's a mix a professor shared.

A scientist you say? You made me laugh too, thanks.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
reply to post by aLLeKs

Missed the biology class in highschool?

Hint.. a sperm only has 23 chromosomes. Cell has 46.

Unless you are talking about a fetus
! then carry on!

damn... I am not good at biology

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
Make it simple.. using "washing liquid" doe snot make sense.... it does not say its a detergent or a soap, it could be washing "water", washing "kool-aid", washing "soda".

Make sense are...

-Liquid Soap,
-Dish detergent
-Dish washing soap
-Washing soap
-heck... cleaning soap...

It's a culture thing, everyone in the UK says washing up liquid, and they know what it means.
When Americans say the phrase "Break a leg", they don't actually mean break a leg.

Culture difference.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mosthated718bx
I dont know if anyone has posted this yet thats actually a way to also tell if you have a yeast infection.. I did it too good thread!

Is it? Cool. I always just relied on the itchy c*** or itchy V** method.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   

I do laugh yes indeed. It is not possible to see your DNA through what you said.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   

yes, you've got the right idea. while it is true that the sample is far from pure, when you add the alcohol you will witness what is known as "precipitation", where the DNA appears quite suddenly from the rest of the solution. so in addition to the coiled DNA, the globs also contain the particles which got trapped inside the precipitate. however, the majority of the cell guts (lipids, proteins) remains in the aqueous part.

for all intents and purposes, you are looking at DNA. I hope this settles any disagreements.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join