It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing! Want To See Your DNA? It's Easy, See How!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Hi ATS, thought I would share this as I personally found it very cool and thought others may too. I looked to see if this has been posted before and couldn't see it, but if it has feel free to delete.

This is a cool experiment that enables you to see your own DNA, it's easy and can be done from your home.

First I will show you my DNA to prove it's possible....

Do you see the DNA strands running vertical in the liquid?

Here's a quick video of me showing how the strands stick together when the glass it twisted around, it starts of a bit blurry, sorry, but it gets clearer around 0:35....

Within those strands contains all the information/instructions required to build me, everything!

So this is how it's done -

First swish your tongue around your mouth's wall to dislodge some loose skin cells.

Then spit your saliva into a clear tube, or small shot glass in my case

Then add washing-up liquid (I used about the same amount as the saliva, maybe a bit more) . This breaks open the cells and also degrades the membrane to expose the cells nucleus which contains the DNA.

Then add some salt (I used a fairly small amount, but I think you could use a bit more for better effect). This helps the molecules to stick together.

Then add alcohol (I used vodka, about twice as much as the saliva).DNA is insoluble to alcohol.

You should start to see the DNA strands form almost straight away, I waited 10 mins and it seemed to get a bit clearer.

Cool huh? All you need is washing-up liquid, slat and alcohol and boom, your DNA.

This was all taken from the BBCs 'Wonders of Life' programme hosted by Brian Cox, if you ever get the chance to watch this programme, take it, it's amazing. Most of Brian Coxs work is amazing though, highly recommended.

The programme does go into evolution (one of ATS's hot topics) and it's very hard to walk away after watching this programme without believing in it, but that's for a different thread. I will say however, that I think DNA proves evolution beyond a doubt, but that's just me.

The funny thing was, after doing this, I didn't want to throw it down the sink when I was finished

Anyway hope you enjoyed and try it at home, it's amazing to see and even more amazing to realize that all the instructions required to build a human is there in front of you.

edit on 31-1-2013 by RiverRunsFree because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
DNA Really?

Are you sure this isn't some form of reaction you are seeing? With all those things mixing in the one glass I wouldn't be suprised.

But Brian Cox is a man of his word?

I'll give it a go

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

I can assure you it's 100% true.

Try it and see for yourself, failing that write to a scientist and he/she should confirm.

I wish I could post the documentary but only UK residents can access it on BBCi player, maybe one day it will hit youtube, I will keep an eye out for it.

Anyone from the UK want to confirm?

edit on 31-1-2013 by RiverRunsFree because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Thats your spit.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by RiverRunsFree

Oh, I believe you. And sure, there is DNA in there.....it's your spit after all.

It's just that I couldn't see it being that easy? I'm still gonna give it a go.

Anything to get the vodka out of the cupboard! Wife: "Honest love, it's for science!"

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

Heres the link that contains exact details of the DNA and how it works, this method .
edit on 31-1-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
eww, it's green.

You must be an alien descendant.

They're Here!
edit on 31-1-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

Lol, by the way the green stuff is washing-up liquid.

The saliva is not visible really, it's mostly vodka and washing-up liquid.... promise

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
How the extract DNA Why does this work?
DNA is found in every living cell and can easily be extracted using household items.

Ingredients
Source of DNA - this can be anything that contains DNA like split peas, spinach or broccoli
Detergent- like washing up liquid or household cleaner
Enzymes - meat tenderizer, pineapple juice or contact lens cleaning solution
Rubbing alcohol (70-95% isopropyl or ethyl alcohol

This linkilovebacteria.com...

Please watch the above link I posted in my post above this one. Its BBC one he makes it so that its not green. Its clear whitish..
edit on 31-1-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Better video

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
speaking as a professional biotechnician...

yes, this is an actual dna extraction protocol and, yes, the "goo" is DNA.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by tgidkp

Great, thanks for the confirmation, I do have a question but I'm not sure if you would know.

Do the DNA strands stay like that for a long time or do they eventually dissolve or disappear? Does anyone know?

Thanks for the additional info guys

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Plenty interesting, SnF. Is there any benefit in seeing your DNA?

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainBeno
DNA Really?

Are you sure this isn't some form of reaction you are seeing? With all those things mixing in the one glass I wouldn't be suprised.

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if the OP is willing to try it again, only this time with no spit? I would do it but I don't drink, so no booze in the house.

Even if it works without adding DNA, it's still pretty cool.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by RiverRunsFree

what you are seeing is great big globs of insoluble (in alcohol) protein that the DNA is wound (and wound and wound again) around. this makes a clump which is large enough to see with naked eye. but you shouldn't imagine that you are looking at a single molecule of the double-helix...DNA is very very tiny....electron microscope tiny.

but it will stay just like that in solution indefinitely, AFAIK.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
There will be some DNA in there but it largely won't be yours. Candida albicans grows readily in the oral cavity. What you are seeing is strands of yeast proteins.

There is a medical test whereby you spit into a glass of water and look at the saliva pattern to determine candida overgrowth. You've Just got a glass of yeasty spit there no matter how much dish detergent or alcohol you put in it. You should note that when they do a DNA test, they take a swab of the lining of your cheek so they can collect cheek cells to test. They don't have you spit in a cup.

Nice try but faulty premis.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by rimjaja

incorrect. the globs that are visible in the op's image is a proper DNA extraction.

the swab kit that you describe is merely a fancy version of the op's protocol. the reagents and technique outlined in the op are common experiments done in the biotech classroom. the DNA in the image is pure enough to run a reliable PCR or cloning or digest/electrophoresis reaction.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I'm not saying that they are not DNA, but they are yeast DNA and not the saliva doners true dna

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Very interesting but for us dummies, what is 'washing up liquid'? Would like to check it out but this ingredient name is foreign to this US person.
edit on 31-1-2013 by liveandlearn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   
it is dish-soap, the thing (liquid) you use do clean up your dishes

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join