It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is america a nation of terrified people ????

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by bellagirl

I think that the media does tend to direct peoples purchases by using a method of presenting to them what could happen if...thus generating a fear. Such fears tend to be in the majority of people who are of deep religious beliefs as so many stories of End Times...which sold a Hell of a lot of Generators...as well as scaring such people into believing they would loose all rights and to purchase anything they would need to have the number of the beast on their hand...thus sales of guns, dry goods and even bunkers.

But the average citizen in the silent majority tends to ignor such things. The reason you never hear about it is we are not saying anything.

Split Infinity

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   

I would say the US is like the world. A mix of people who are scared and those who are not. Like always.

Those of us that can only be killed will not fear. Some may threaten to take away those things and people we love in horrible ways, ruin our lives and cause us pain.....or do so outright, but we know that is all they can do.

When it is all said and done, we are still game. If anything, the threat or want to provoke in us any fear only gives us more resolve.

fear is the mind killer. All they can do is kill you...slowly, quickly...it is irrelevant......but, death is inevitable so they can only do what was true for you anyways. Living as you are because that is who you are is worth a thousand horrible deaths and all the pain in the reach of humanity. The expression of life in its true form is always born again no matter the times it is trampled and crushed. That is immortal. We know this.

Fear not, fear is only an illusion. Like power or control, just illusions of smoke and shadow.......

Mortal men have nothing to fear. We know death will come to us. Life then has no place for fear.

edit on 1-2-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Let me break it down for you OP. Having a gun is like having a condom. I'd rather have one when i need it, than need it and not have one. I'm mid thirties, grew up in a tough neighborhood, learned to fight, learned to shoot. Not because I'm a violent or scared person, but a realist. I hate fighting, and will be the first to walk away, but know that if it gets real, I'll be damned if i don't finish it. I refuse to live in fear, and refuse to be a victim. I also work in corrections, and have first hand experience in how violent people can be, I'm just not naive, or fearful about it. Personally, I don't think amerika is frightened as much as you think, I think it's ignorance, and people who are to self absorbed with social networking, and their perfect little bubble worlds. If its not happening to them, its another back page tragedy.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I believe you are correct OP. The situation is made even worse by the fact that most americans know that the police can`t protect them and in many places in america the police are worse than the criminals.
Americans have been conditioned to expect the worst and to expect that when something does happen they will be on their own with no help from the police or the court system or the government.
If the criminals don`t get you the police will tazer you,choke you to death or just shoot you down in the street like a rabid dog,and if the police don`t get you the government will tax you death or just surround your home and burn it down.
americans have been conditioned to be terrified of everybody and everything, even their own government.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 03:40 AM
link   

reply to post by eleven44

It is very ignorant and short sighted to believe that the American government will never fire upon or arrest ordinary citizens. And as i already said, this may not happen tomorrow, next month, next year or even next decade, but the fact is still that we must preserve the chance to defend liberty.

The problem I see here is that the weapons that a citizen will be allowed to own will now remain static/fixed/capped at a certain level. So given a long enough timescale, the gap between the capabilities that a citizens weapon will have relative to a government/police force will have will be huge.

Again given a large enough timescale (another 230 years) a bullet or hail of them may not be effective against someone from 230 years in the future.

The times i have visited North America (this includes Canada, not just the US), I was actually astonished at the amount of TV adverts that basically promote and sell their products on the back of fear. There's a barrage of similar ones that show masked people breaking into houses etc. Businesses are the masters at promoting fear and constantly reinforcing it, not governments, businesses do it in between each advert break.

You said that you no longer own a TV, neither do I. Other people should try it.

I think people get offended when the word fear is used because we have a mental image of someone twitching in the dark, afraid to live their life. I don't think that's what anyone is suggesting. What is happening is that reality is being twisted and a biased picture is presented to you. Horrible things happen but the suggestion that you're going to be next and that this will definitely will happen to you is over-promoted.

edit on 1-2-2013 by region331 because: TV comment

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Right on the money afterthought.

We in Australia are going down the same path as America in more ways than just Police states.

By the way, there are more guns in Australia now than in 1996 when the ban on guns took place.

Australia is a great place to live and yes you can walk around at 2am in the morning if you have left your local pub and live around the corner, but I wouldn't advise anyone to be walking around alone in the cities at that time.

We have our fair share of shootings going on, normally gang related, never the less shootings are shootings.

Do we live in fear? I'll put it this way, thirty years ago I used to frequent the city nightspots. I advise my kids, no plead with my kids not to go into the city unless they are with a group of friends.

Do we lock our doors in fear of the crackheads robbing us? Yes!! not that that stops the bastards.

Do we live in fear of leaving our car door unlocked, because it may not be there when you return? yes!!

Do we take our kids to school and pick them up in the afternoon for fear of some nut job, pervert dragging them in the back of their car? yes!!

I could go on. I think we all live in fear to some extent and we should, it keeps us on our toes.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   

OP I think you nailed it

USA is a nation of Chicken Hawks

like watching people die by US military machine on CNN

powerless to do anything at home

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Yes America is terrified after terrorist attacks like 9/11 carried out by Islamic Terrorists.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by FyreByrd
reply to post by CaticusMaximus

I would challenge you to provide sources for your ASSUMPTION that the founding fathers intended the 2nd Amendment as anything other than to assure a domestic/citizen militia. Not for vigilante justice but for the common defense against foreign threats. You can carry that on to say domestic threats as well, the government perhaps, but you cannot say that was the original intent without any documentation.

You can find the information you request in this video. Numerous quotes from the founding fathers pertaining to the 2nd.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Sure, some of the people are terrified in general. Everyone is terrified of something. I think our nation is one of a terrified Government, which is why they seek to destroy our liberty and control us.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
WHat the people of the US fear compared to what their governemt fear, are two different worlds.

The US governments fear is to loose world dominace. The people of the US fear how far the US government are willing to go to keep their power.
edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by shivaX
Yes America is terrified after terrorist attacks like 9/11 carried out by Islamic Terrorists.

Do you always believe what the government tells you?
Do you like being molested when you fly because they have conditioned you to fear that you'll die on an airplane?
Do you believe that it's OK for children to be felt up by a stranger in an airport?
Do you believe that the War on Drugs has been a success?
When you think about drones in our skies, do you feel safer?
Do you believe that your god is the best there is and anyone who worships another god is a fool?
Just wondering...

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Terrified?? No... Annoyed?? YES

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by region331

Great post, sir.

And the really important bit:

I was actually astonished at the amount of TV adverts that basically promote and sell their products on the back of fear. There's a barrage of similar ones that show masked people breaking into houses etc.

Unfettered consumerism.....turning a profit is the whole of the law.....

No wonder they want to hang on to their guns.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Well, obviously I cannot speak for anyone but myself, and people I know. No we are not afraid, or paranoid. Never once have I heard anyone express fear of being shot. Guns everywhere, they are just a common tool here. People don't panic when they see a dude enter town hall, or the bank, or the store with a rifle slung on their back. It is commonplace.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I'm 30 years old. I'll admit that I'm terrified for the future of humanity. Not for anything mentioned in the OP, though. I'm terrified because I think we're collectively committing suicide. I think we're going over the climate cliff in the coming years, and there's no turning back. I think big business's influence on public opinion, and politics is too large, and not much will be done about it. I honestly think the only way we can salvage civilization is to have a benevolent dictator.

Now, as to having an agenda to keep people in a state of fear, yes and no. What is known is that people like to live
and they look out for dangers. The media networks know this, so sell us this fear, and we gobble it up. That doesn't mean everything they push is a lie, but their focus is out of whack.

I think there's a chunk of the population that doesn't comprehend how out of whack the media is, but that's fortunately a small percentage. Most people are no longer buying what MSM is selling. They are looking for alternative explanations, and angles to what's going on. They're going online, hitting up youtube, and alternative media sites.

I had zero fear of 9/11. I remember the day well. I got flamed by a bunch of teenage girls for telling one to keep calm, and maintain perspective. She took it to mean I didn't think it was a big deal, or that people were suffering

Anyways, there is a lot to fear legitimately, and a lot to fret over for no good reason. I think we're put in a state of fear so some people can make lots of monies. I think the government doesn't have an agenda to keep us in perpetual fear. It simply does not compute. I think the threats of an EMP, nuclear attack, biological attack, chemical attack... I think they exist, and that untold numbers of these potential events have been thwarted. It actually seems the opposite is taking place, and the government is keeping most of these threats hush-hush to keep all hell from breaking loose.

So basically I blame the media, but ultimately the people are responsible for their good sense, and many seem to be getting an F in my book. It sucks because the average mind seems to be in an all or nothing way of thinking. Either they fear pretty much everything, else think it's all a scam. You see that quite often on ATS. Reality is not so black and white. There are legitimate threats out there, things that should be given minimal energies, and outright lies and deceptions.

That's my stance. If you're not terrified over the future, you don't seem to be paying attention.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Well I'm 30 and don't like being subjugated to being in the same category as a 50yr old. Different generation, different time. Infact i'm gonna go out on a limb here and my father is 50+ and just say that I feel that anyone 30yrs old or younger was literally born into this broken economy. I graduated in 2001 not even a year later after 9/11 we all woke up broke.

Did I wake up scared? NO, I am an Eagle Scout and did not go to the armed forces even though I come from a Army Ranger Father, Master Pety Chief (Navy) Grandfather and multiple purple Hearts pinned on my family side alone. Needless to say my actual Geneology traces back to Jonas Hill, If you want a history lesson look up who this man is. And believe me they wanted me more than "Sliced Bread".

I woke up and saw the planes hit and told my father " I think it's time " And with a laugh, followed by a frown my father says "Like hell you are, who do you think is goin to protect your mom if SHTF? OR your Sisters?" (note I am the only son so i'm not required to go, per law) And I saw the severity of the looks I was recieving from my father. What I learned from my Father that day stays with me even now.

With that I found a new fire, and found out my friends were on the same page as well, and even non friends, people who this site mocks for having guns or wanting to protect "Theirs"

America is not scared, were waiting. Why? Because the Civilian's here don't want to see the blood, so they March and Petition. Does this work???? I can say no. If it did TPTB would have listened.

I see what your trying to say. I understand where your coming from. But I do not accept this as you are an Austrailian. You gave away your right to bear Arms, even hearing that someone on that island is going for Boomerang Reform. Next they will go for your accents, and I love those Ausi girl accents~ Why not just forget who you are or where you came from?

I can walk into a bar at 2am laughing and smiling in the worst parts of America (I live in Chicago). It's called how you carry yourself. If you look weak or act weak. Expect to be pounced on. Lesson: Don't be a fool.

Put it to you like this. Japan didn't want to wake the sleeping Giant, and they had civillians that thought the same about us back then. Poke the Sleeping Dragon~

Like the Strong hand of a Pimp the smacketh will cometh, downeth~

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

30yrs or younger.... Bad Grammar error... In my beginning response. My appologies as I clicked to fast =/

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by keenasbro

By the way, there are more guns in Australia now than in 1996 when the ban on guns took place.

Are those legal or illegal?
edit on 1-2-2013 by region331 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...
edit on 1-2-2013 by signalfire because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join