It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vet office bans Swiss MP's vole paté feast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I would have posted this in the food forum but I didn't want to cause too many gag reflexes in ATSers who were looking for a legitimate recipe.

SOURCE

The canton of Jura’s veterinary office vetoed a bid by a cantonal parliament to publicly serve vole paté to fellow MPs.

Jura MP Edgar Sauser wanted to serve up the mouse meat publicly on Wednesday as a protest against the lack of resources given to combat an invasion of the rodents on farms in the region.

The Liberal party member, who is also a horse breeder in the Franches-Montagnes region, called upon an expert “charcutier” — who prefers to remain anonymous — to prepare the paté.

Last year as many as 1,000 voles per hectare were found on meadows above 700 and 800 metres.

They cause damage by digging up the ground and stripping fields of vegetation.

Because they have five to 10 litters a year, with five to 10 offspring for each litter, the vole population can explode.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

Wow! I feel sorry for the person who has to prepare those little buggers! I would imagine the amount of meat on one those would be about equal to the amount of "real chicken" that is in a McDonalds chicken nugget.....

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Stories like this make me love my country so much. So many weirdos... I should move back to those crazy alp folk, it's where I truly belong

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Vole-y Guacamole!
ooops, that might give them another idea.

I guess it's a way to make a point. I suppose they taste like squirrel, which is the only rodent that I have eaten on purpose. It's just a protein source, perhaps flavor enhanced by whatever crops they are eating.
So all the really needs to happen is they get added to the list of accepted foods?
then the hard part...make people feel they are missing out on something amazing.

Weirder things have become so-called delicacies.

new topics

top topics

join