It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What One KEY Issue Would Spark an American Civil War?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
If you were trying to start an American civil war, what one issue would you choose to divide the people by?

Example: In the first civil war, it was slavery. Roughly half the country wanted too keep their slaves, and the other half wanted all people to be free. It was this ONE issue that divided the country. It was this issue that got people to choose sides. After all, if the people don't choose sides -- they don't have a war.

There has been LOTs of talk about the right to bear arms being taken so that they can take the country, and conspiracy theories about many of the mass shootings being false flags to start a push to take away guns. So you get a bunch of people who are scared for their children's lives and safety screaming about how important it is to outlaw guns and they support all government attempts to regulate weaponry, and then you have a bunch of people on the other side saying they are willing to fight and die for their right to keep their weapons.

Can you think of anything more divisive? What other than guns could divide our nation into two factions of rebels and pro-government supporters?

I suppose if aliens actually showed up people might pick sides as to whether or not we should be trusting aliens or preparing our selves to prevent invasion; but even then it wouldn't start a civil was very easily because they would see the aliens as the primary enemy and the government and alien supporters would have to be totally hand-holding and obedient to the "greater wisdom" of the aliens, really lock-step, to get the suspicious people to think "Ok alien supporters are now our deadly enemy because they trust in blind faith and do as the aliens tell them and if we don't stop them the aliens will take over". So really, it seems nothing I can think of would be more divisive than guns.

Perhaps... all of our rights together(?): Free speech and guns given away for "security". But adding other rights onto it or not; it's still pretty much the same issue.

edit on 31-1-2013 by NJoyZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by NJoyZ

The first Civil War wasn't started over slavery. It was a war for southern independence.
edit on 31-1-2013 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
lack of cheap beer and nascar.. then we got a real problem on our hands.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
1. Turning everyone's cable television off.

2. Food stamp cards not swiping.

3. Cancelling American Idol.

4. Obama being impeached (least likely).

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by NJoyZ

The first Civil War wasn't started over slavery. It was a war for southern independence.

Well, there goes my gradeschool education!
Why did the civil war start This says "SLAVERY"

If you are looking for the exact moment when the battles of Civil War started, the answer would be when the Confederate forces attacked the military installation of the United States at Fort Sumter in South Carolina." ... "but the actual buildup started way back when the abolitionists threatened the unethical practice of slavery in the United States."

The American Civil War battles started with the Confederate forces attacking the Union military installment at Fort Sumter in South Carolina on April 12, 1861. In response to this attack, Abraham Lincoln - the then President of the United States, called upon all the free states to send their voluntary forces to recapture the Federal property. This prompted the secession of four more slave states, and brought the total number of rebel states to eleven. Soon enough, both the sides were ready with their armies, and thus began one of the most gruesome war in the world history - the American Civil War.

Why Did the Civil War Start?

The reasons for the Civil War to start were aplenty, and virtually all of them revolved around the concept of slavery in the United States.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
ban guns?

oh wait..

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Well at the rate of the current issues being blasted over the internet and MSM.... That lost key is due to be found, shortly if we continue on the current path.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
It started to get rid of the british from your country as they wanted you to use their pound not a US dollar. ffs people i am an australian and I know that lol. Someone was only saying to me the other day that the US didnt have a very good school system

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
People will not stand up and fight for anything until its absolutely the last thing they have to do, at least not a large portion of people.. I can safely say I think the last straw would be food.. If the majority of the population cannot afford or have access to food all hell will break loose and the GOV is gonna be glad they have those underground bases becuase the country will turn against them and the global elites..

Poeple can live without guns, a large portion of the population wont care because they don't have guns so they think it wont affect them (when in reality it will) others dont care about freedom of speech because they thing it wont affect them (but it will), ect.. but when you can't feed your family that is a problem..

That is where I would draw the line for sure, I wont turn over my guns either way but even still idk that I would risk everything although its not much to fight to keep guns not unless a whole lot of other people stand up beside me.

But I can tell you and I said it on another post.. If I walk into walmart and bread is even $10 a loaf or I can't afford to feed my family becuase the food prices skyrocket. I will fill 2 or 3 carts and I will walk out the door and no one will be stopping me short of gunfire which they don' thave guns at walmart and I will do whatever I have to do so that my family is safe. I will also get with my friends and neighbors to try to figure out how we can keep ourselves from starving.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

reply to post by NJoyZ

To keep slaves.
2nd

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Given below are the three main reasons which will give you the details about why did the American Civil War start.

In today's world, we might call this attempts to abolish/infringe upon the right to bear arms

Attempts to Abolish of Slavery
The economy of the Southern states (also known as the slave states) was dependent on agriculture and allied activities, owing to which there was a huge demand for slaves in these states. The Northern states on the other hand were much more liberal and favored the abolition of slavery. The hidden motive behind this was perhaps the fact that these free states needed work force to support their industrial sector led economy. While the politicians from the Northern states began lobbying for abolition of slavery, those from their Southern states counterparts opposed it. They even threatened to secede if the Federal administration took any such step, something which they eventually did, and this turned out to be one of the most important causes of this war.

In today's world, we might call this the divide between the rich and the increasingly poorer middle class

Economic Divide Between the North and South
While the attempt to abolish slavery during the Civil War was the main trigger, the discontent among the people of Southern states had started building up long before. The main reason for this was the economic divide between the Northern states and Southern states. The industrial sector driven economy of the North was much better than the agriculture driven economy of the South. Similarly, the people from South were always of the opinion that the Federal government is pro-north, and all the policies which were dolled out from the White House were in favor of people from the Northern states. The people from Southern states, who were already discontent, felt that the Federal government's decision about abolition of slavery would also go in the favor of the Northern states, and hence they decided to secede from the Union.

In today's world, we might call this the election of President Obama

Election of President Abraham Lincoln
Yet another major blow to the Southern States came in the form of election of the Republican candidate Abraham Lincoln over John C. Breckinridge, who was nominated by the Southern faction. The fact that the Republicans had campaigned against the unethical practice of slavery during the election campaign of 1860 had put forth Lincoln as an ardent critic of slavery, and when he got elected all the hopes of Southerners to keep the age-old practice of slavery intact were brought down. When the seven Southern slave states decide to secede from the Union, the Federal administration, under the leadership of Lincoln termed it a rebellion. This irked the Southerners even more, and what followed was the brutal Civil War which lasted for four years and killed millions of soldiers from both the sides.

I'm not saying that these are going to be enough to spark a civil war, It's increasingly looking like they wont be enough, but it certainly is an interesting parallel. A conspiracy theorist might say an attempts are being made to foment such a conflict, as they did after all the Arab Spring uprisings and the Icelandic revolution.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ltdan08
1. Turning everyone's cable television off.

2. Food stamp cards not swiping.

3. Cancelling American Idol.

4. Obama being impeached (least likely).

You forgot about banning world of warcraft.
They tried this with Iran and they just found a new game or started on private servers.
But in the US, the fat kids would be rioting!

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

How? They would have a heart attack going from the couch to their car

A riot of fat kids would travel at like 2 feet an hour.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by sealing

reply to post by NJoyZ

To keep slaves.
2nd

The north still kept slaves during the war.
Heck there were still slaves after the war, we just called them by a different name.
Indentured servants I believe.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Taking cell phones and video games off the market. I could see it now, total pandemonium. Some people would be walking in the streets shell shocked. I on the other hand, would be sipping on a margarita and enjoying the peace and quiet.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
The war of northern aggression was caused my multiple things.... The winners are the ones that write the history. However the main reason was that during that time the states that produced the most goods were southern states and the ones that used the most were in the north. The Federal government over-regulated the goods from the south, forcing laws on states that didn't want them. Not saying slavery didn't play a role because it did, it was the straw that broke the camels back.

There is never a single issue to cause a war. It's multiple issues that get to the boiling point and the opposing parties will pick the worst things about the other to focus hatred.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by NJoyZ

I can answer the question, but only if I were the POTUS. (And why would I want to start a Civil War if I was POTUS?)

Shut down all entitlement programs. Tell the masses that there just no more money to be had for these programs.

Use the resulting unrest and riots to suspend Posse Comititus

Send in the troops in those areas of unrest on a gun grab, which would rile others outside the area as well.

Stir well with MSM painting these people as domestic terrorists.

Wait...that kind of sounds plausible.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by g146541

How? They would have a heart attack going from the couch to their car

A riot of fat kids would travel at like 2 feet an hour.

But the combined efeects of their wheezing could possibly generate hurricane force winds.

Or we call it, "Return of the Blob".

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by NJoyZ

The North needed laborers to transition fully to an industrialized producer. The South had an abundance of labor in the form of slaves and had been the seat of America's wealth thanks to trememdous agricultural production. The idea of "freeing the slaves" is a modern revision of history to toe the federal line. Reality was quite different... the freed slaves either had to stay in the South where they became sharecroppers (mind you the Civil War made it such that most of the profits from these activities were shifted northward) or they moved to the Northern states and were threatened with vagrancy laws if they did not quickly take jobs. Those jobs were industrial in nature and low paying, in fact most of those jobs paid a net gain of nothing after the employer had removed room, board, and upkeep from their pay every week. In essence, they were working to pay their own way without anything left at the end of the week. i.e. SLAVERY.

The Civil War had nothing to do with freeing the slaves and everything to do with states rights coupled with redistributing the slaves along with the seat of wealth and power to the North rather than the old South.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
1. Banning Bacon
2, Cancelling the Walking Dead
3. The Feds shut down ATS.

Lot's of people bring up "revolution" and "civil war" but come on people this nation has been pacified they elected a tyrant, they relected a tyrant, they relect the same things over and over again.

They are also just fine with have a master-Government.

ETA:

When a majority of people get a government check do you think they are going to pick up arms against their sugar daddies?
edit on 31-1-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join