It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yahweh Banned from Catholic Mass?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by IsidoreOfSeville
reply to post by Akragon

Well, no one in particular. Perhaps saying "one" and not "you" would have been better.

/napoleon dynamite voice: Stop taking it so personal. Gosh! /end napoleon dynamite

My apologies then... Nothing annoys me more then one people assume I need to study...considering scriptural study is my hobby.

Im curious as to why some Christians insist on using this name while others seem to forbid it...

it reminds me of Judaism where one can't even say the word "God"

edit on 31-1-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

I think that's where that article stems from.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   

reply to post by vethumanbeing

Please explain to us all how your comment relates to the Vatican clarifying it's stance?

Its stance is hidden under the dresses/robes/"Togatunic" they wear. At attention, at ease, at rest, Yoga warrior 2 pose? No way of clarifying at all.
edit on 31-1-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

reply to post by Akragon

Well, no one in particular. Perhaps saying "one" and not "you" would have been better.

/napoleon dynamite voice: Stop taking it so personal. Gosh! /end napoleon dynamite

My apologies then... Nothing annoys me more then one people assume I need to study...considering scriptural study is my hobby.

Im curious as to why some Christians insist on using this name while others seem to forbid it...

edit on 31-1-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

Ironic isnt it? As hard as it is to define A God in this? 3000 years later are not allowed to speak its name even if accidently muttered in prayer. If we speak it too much maybe it will MANIFEST accidently and boy will it have to do some explaining or backpeddling as to "where have you been". I say 15 trillion times right now in a nanosecond-Yahweh! Kind of like a pet rock, if enough people bought one, it really becomes a pet (with a personalized name).
edit on 31-1-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I'm not sure about the Catholic angle, but I've known a few Anglicans who won't say "Yahweh" or "Jehovah", because they see it as being an insult toward Jews, who won't speak or write it. Whenever you see the word "Lord" being applied to God in the Hebrew Bible (aka: Old Testament,) that isn't a title, but rather a "placeholder" for the name of God, since it couldn't be spoken (even in the abbreviated form.)

Yahweh and Jehovah are two different English transcriptions of the non-vocalized Tetragammaton -- the four consonants standing for the ancient Hebrew name for God. Both Jews and Christians accept the name Yahweh as being God's Hebrew name, as it was preserved in the original consonantal Hebrew text.

The original Hebrew text was not vocalized, as YHWH was considered too sacred to pronounce. Instead, the name Adonai (my Lord) was substituted in reading. By the time a vowel system was invented, the Hebrews had forgotten how to pronounce YHWH, and so they substituted the vowels for Adonai, resulting in the name "Jehovah." This is the sixteenth century form of YHWH with “a,” “o” and “a” (the vowels from Adonai, “my Lord”) inserted between each consonant -- Latinizing the word, changing the “Y” and “W” to “J” and “V.” (Source)

(Cues one of the resident crackpots to come in and convince us all that "YHWH" is pronounced "Jesus"
)

So, for those Anglicans, it wasn't like the name was forbidden to be spoken, but rather they avoided it to prevent disrespect to those who would find saying it offensive.
edit on 31-1-2013 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 05:30 AM
link   
With so many terms and phrases it`s very hard what to think. I used to be afraid of saying the wrong name but now I know that it is my intention that matters. btw Jesus referred to Him as father.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

The name of the sacred not to be spoken ...

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
Christianity originated at Pentecost 50 days after Passover. Catholicism was an invention of Rome after Theodocius I.

Catholics point to Pentecost as the date of birth of the Catholic Church.
Catholics point to the Last Supper as the date of birth of the priesthood.
They say the priesthood came before the birth of the Catholic Church at Pentecost.

I thought Peter founded their church?

JESUS founded the Church ... and He put Peter in charge (Matthew 16:18).
Peter instituted apostolic succession. (see Acts and Matthias)

Originally posted by vethumanbeing
So the Vatican has now publicly finally proclaimed it -- The sitting Pope has been and always was God.

:shk: Absurd.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

do you recall that thread I asked you to read?

He is unnameable, since there is no one prior to him to give him a name.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Yep .. I read it .. and I'm thinking about it. I think I left a post on it.
VERY DEEP. It requires a lot of thought.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Once you consider that thread...

Be sure to review this..

The Apocryphon of James

edit on 1-2-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
adj

(Cues one of the resident crackpots to come in and convince us all that "YHWH" is pronounced "Jesus" )

One of the Biblical arguments for Jesus' divinity is to propose that when Paul writes in Philippians 2: 10-11,

that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

(with the clear echo of Isaiah 45: 23), that he is making the usual Jewish substitution of Adonai (Kyrios) for YHWH, which a Jewish author like Paul wouldn't write a letter.

It's an interesting idea, since it would make Paul in the earliest Christian writing as definite and forceful as John would be later.

Not quite changing the pronunciation, but ...

As to the topic, there is no Catholic liturgical tradition of using the Tetragrammaton in its worship. The directive was accompanied by an expession of concern that the introduction of the Name into parts of the worship service was making inroads recently, and the people who are professionally concerned with liturgy did not want that innovation to proceed further.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
My question would be... Are they still using the equally false guess name "Jehovah" though? Trading one false name for another does them no good.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Almost on cue adj.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Almost on cue adj.

I have never claimed that YHWH is pronounced as Jesus.

YHWH is a pagan god. EhJeh is the true name of God that was given to Moses.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by truejew

Where did you learn Hebrew? Moses wasn't given a "Name", he was given a title. Ehjeh means "I AM" in Hebrew. So that's not God's Name, it's one of His many titles used throughout Scripture.

Ehjeh Ascher Ehjeh = "I AM that I AM"
edit on 1-2-2013 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   

reply to post by truejew

Where did you learn Hebrew? Moses wasn't given a "Name", he was given a title. Ehjeh means "I AM" in Hebrew. So that's not God's Name, it's one of His many titles used throughout Scripture.

Where do you think that the Jeh in Jesus means and comes from?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by truejew

reply to post by truejew

Where did you learn Hebrew?

Notice the ducking of the direct question of where he learned Hebrew

Because I don't think that Hebrew has anything to do with it -- these "Oneness" people are so convinced that there is no Trinity, and that, as we're told to "call on the name of Jesus" and they think that you have to "baptize in the name of Jesus", his particular flavour of it demands that the name of God, even as written in ancient Hebrew, is "Jesus".

That perspective seems to be due to their being mired in works and, essentially, magic spells and rituals -- I've seen Gary Reckart (their "theologian") actually refer to Jesus as "the Messieh", intentionally misspelled because "Messiah" has the name of a moon god or something in it, so spelling it correctly is evil... or something.

If that ain't crazy, I owe the Scientologists an apology, lol.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Adjensen,

Does it come from "Yahweh" or "EhJeh"?
edit on 1-2-2013 by truejew because: Fixed code

edit on 1-2-2013 by truejew because: Fixed code again

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   

reply to post by truejew

What about Greek then? Iesous = "ee-YAY-soos"

And Jesus's Hebrew Name was Yeshua.

"Jesus" is a Latinized Name that was not in existence in the first century.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Adjensen,

I am not a language scholar and defer such questions to those who are, such as NOTurTypical.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join