It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yahweh Banned from Catholic Mass?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I know this is old news, but I actually didn't know that the Catholic church banned the use of YHWH in their mass...

The decree is contained in a letter to bishops from the Vatican Congregation for Divine Worship and the Sacraments dated June 29 and addressed to Episcopal conferences around the world.

VATICAN (CISA) - The Vatican has ruled that the word Yahweh must not "be used or pronounced" in songs and prayers during Catholic masses.

www.catholic.org...

This is interesting though...

I know many Christians only use YHWH when referring to God, claiming all other names are wrong... Yet the church where Christianity originated banned the use of this name?

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Doesn't it say somewhere in the Bible that the true name of God is not to be spoken? (I'm Catholic so I haven't opened up mine in years
)

I think maybe not using the name is a sign of respect and reverence for the name of God and not some sort of diss.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I think maybe not using the name is a sign of respect and reverence for the name of God and not some sort of diss.

I wasn't thinking it was a "dis" in any way...

Im just curious as to what those that use that name for God think about this...

We have a few diehard YHWH fans on our forums...

I thought perhaps they might chime in

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Never heard of it. Too many versions of the Bible speaking something different.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Christianity originated at Pentecost 50 days after Passover. Catholicism was an invention of Rome after Theodocius I.

So I guess saying "hallelujah" is forbidden. Lol

edit on 31-1-2013 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

I thought Peter founded their church?

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Yeah, basically what other posters have said. It's because God's name isn't to be spoken.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

I thought Peter founded their church?

No. Peter was working out of Babylon Iraq until his arrest. The only time Peter was in Rome was for his execution. That's Catholic tradition, not accurate history.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
The fact that there are so many "names" just proves the original message that some will come in his name, and exclude everyone who doesn't believe in their interpretation.
It's the antithesis of the true message in my opinion.
Make no idols. Christs' life sacrifice was the divine message in the flesh (mans' word is falliable) and the gospels were an attempt to capture the holy spirit in words.
I do believe they were divinely inspired only because I can see Gods' work in peoples actions around me. Just an opinion- feel free to disprove anything I've said. Bye

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Considering there is still debate as to the correct pronounciation of the name, why bother "banning" Yahweh? It makes no practical sense, except as just another form of congregational control. Pffft.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Jews are not allowed to say it either because they believe it is the holy name. They call him HaShem instead which means "The Name".

It shouldn't be that surprising that a name considered holy is not to be spoken out of respect.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

"As an expression of the infinite greatness and majesty of God, it was held to be unpronounceable and hence was replaced during the reading of sacred Scripture by means of the use of an alternate name: 'Adonai,' which means 'Lord,'" the Vatican letter said. Similarly, Greek translations of the Bible used the word "Kyrios" and Latin scholars translated it to "Dominus"; both also mean Lord.

"Avoiding pronouncing the Tetragrammaton of the name of God on the part of the church has therefore its own grounds," the letter said. "Apart from a motive of a purely philological order, there is also that of remaining faithful to the church's tradition, from the beginning, that the sacred Tetragrammaton was never pronounced in the Christian context nor translated into any of the languages into which the Bible was translated."

The two Vatican officials noted that "Liturgiam Authenticam," the congregation's 2001 document on liturgical translations, stated that "the name of almighty God expressed by the Hebrew Tetragrammaton and rendered in Latin by the word 'Dominus,' is to be rendered into any given vernacular by a word equivalent in meaning."

*emphasis mine*

It is the Church remaining faithful. Looks like you could still use it in your own study.
edit on 1/31/2013 by IsidoreOfSeville because: the red doesn't seem to be working....

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   

It seems the early church fathers would disagree. Lest this thread get sidetracked, send me a message and we can discuss.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   

I know this is old news, but I actually didn't know that the Catholic church banned the use of YHWH in their mass...

The decree is contained in a letter to bishops from the Vatican Congregation for Divine Worship and the Sacraments dated June 29 and addressed to Episcopal conferences around the world.

VATICAN (CISA) - The Vatican has ruled that the word Yahweh must not "be used or pronounced" in songs and prayers during Catholic masses.

www.catholic.org...

I know many Christians only use YHWH when referring to God, claiming all other names are wrong... Yet the church where Christianity originated banned the use of this name?

So the Vatican has now publicly finally proclaimed it -- The sitting Pope has been and always was God. I had no idea they borrowed so much from the Buddist tradition; the reincarnation of.....

Where was the Pope hiding in ancient times; under Moses robes.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by vethumanbeing

What does that have to do with the OP?

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by IsidoreOfSeville

What does that have to do with the OP?

What does it have to do with you?

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Please explain to us all how your comment relates to the Vatican clarifying it's stance?

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by vethumanbeing

www.catholic.org...

So the Vatican has now publicly finally proclaimed it -- The sitting Pope has been and always was God. I had no idea they borrowed so much from the Buddist tradition; the reincarnation of.....

Where was the Pope hiding in ancient times; under Moses robes.

LOL oh man, ..
Is that where "blackBall" originated from?

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by IsidoreOfSeville

It is the Church remaining faithful. Looks like you could still use it in your own study.

Not sure exactly who your talking to here...

But if it was directed at me... YHWH isn't my God... so you best check yourself

I was only looking for some insight on this issue

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Well, no one in particular. Perhaps saying "one" and not "you" would have been better.

/napoleon dynamite voice: Stop taking it so personal. Gosh! /end napoleon dynamite

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join