It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shooting at Price Middle School - Atlanta

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoOfYFoOt
The story is getting more and more hilarious, as the Media, is figuring out that it's not the "tragedy they were hoping for"!

Hilarious?

Wow.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack

Originally posted by GoOfYFoOt
The story is getting more and more hilarious, as the Media, is figuring out that it's not the "tragedy they were hoping for"!

Hilarious?

Wow.

Yes! The "story"....As in, the written or spoken words that are put forth as news, usually with words and phrases chosen and arranged, to incite, demonize, propagandize, or spin the facts, to promote an agenda, or to sell advertising. The "Story"...

There is nothing hilarious about an injured child, or frantic parents, or yet another situation where someone felt they needed to take a life, to continue their own!

GF~

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Another day, another shooting.

It seems the injured are going to likely be alright, thankfully.

This is way past surreal. What in the world is going on?

The local channels have helicopter, wall to wall coverage right now. Does that just inspire the next shooter?

Would putting restrictions on the news coverage of shootings help to stop it? Does the attention help or hurt?

edit on 1/31/2013 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

The number of shootings isn't increasing, only the coverage is due to the agenda of the current administration and it's lapdog propaganda machine/media. I feel that it is intellectually dishonest for someone, especially the media, to equate this type of shooting to a mass shooting like Sandy Hook because the two situations are completely different.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised - disappointed, certainly, but not surprised - to discover that these copycats are engineered to develop a "no news coverage" policy that would leave a window for government jobs that would leave no witnesses and no evidence. But that's just me speculating.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Another day, another shooting.

It seems the injured are going to likely be alright, thankfully.

This is way past surreal. What in the world is going on?

The local channels have helicopter, wall to wall coverage right now. Does that just inspire the next shooter?

Would putting restrictions on the news coverage of shootings help to stop it? Does the attention help or hurt?

edit on 1/31/2013 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

this is way beyond ridiculous anymore. People just need to stop digging up every single event that involves a firearm, it's getting way old and is silly.

Just for a change how about posting every single drunk driving event that happens daily, drowning incident, Rape, home invasion or something.........anything.

I know it helps push your agenda but it is getting just crazy when you pick out all these stories and highlight them.

There are about 10,000 drunk driving deaths every year in the USA...... lets shed some light on that maybe?

Every idiot out there now knows if they want some notoriety they just need to shoot someone now because it will be televised over and over and they will be famous......

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Really? Lets just report every shooting that happens nation wide on here.
c'mon now people, this is amerika, shootings happen every day, lets not turn more of these into something they're not. They're gonna happen, I hate to be that guy, but, "Nothing to see here people, move along!"

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I just read the thread, Bknapple's post about Fox's reporting is key here. That is the problem, major networks reporting before they get the full story. How that is allowed to happen is beyond me, isn't there any sort of clause that states that the news media actually has to be accurate? Should there be?

I'm glad to hear that nobody got killed. At least that's kind've good news, considering that when this stuff usually hits national news somebody was killed.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by dave_welch

no, there is no integrity anymore.
This will continue.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
The revolution WILL be televised...

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Now that I've had a chance to sleep, mull over some of the things that have been said here, and gain a bit of perspective, I want to address some points.

First, as mentioned in my previous post, I live not fifteen to twenty minutes from where this shooting took place. It pains me to have to go to these measures to provide context, but I feel that it will help paint a better picture of the environment and area that this happened in. Simply stating that this is "the hood" and then going on to imply any number of conclusions based upon that conjecture is simply disingenuous and sadly misinformed.

For those who have never been here, Atlanta has evolved in such a way that even small communities end up with pockets of population segregated by race and class. It's hard to explain, but even a relatively small school district here might well service a wealthy black subdivision, a wealthy white subdivision, two or three middle class areas - one that may be mostly black, another mostly white, and yet another mainly Hispanic. Then, also, two or three racially segregated ghettos as well.

This is truly an area where an all black, inner city ghetto might well literally be just one block over from an all white neighborhood, consisting of six to seven hundred thousand dollar homes - with a single school servicing all of the families from both distinctly demographically divergent neighborhoods.

To write it off as simply "A thug in the ghetto being a thug in the ghetto" smacks of backhanded racism, IMO - and is highly inaccurate when considering the actual make-up of the area. There is every possibility that the person involved in this shooting did come from a ghetto. It's also highly possible that he is from a middle class or even exceptionally wealthy home. In fact, being a local, I can honestly say that the vast majority of violent crimes in this region are kids who come from middle classed to affluent homes. I honestly think that this is because they want so bad to be "hard" that they buy into stereotypes and images from media that are extreme exaggerations of what ghetto life is really like.

At any rate - context for those who are interested, from a person who doesn't have to suppose what it is like in south Atlanta.

~Heff

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Now that I've had a chance to sleep, mull over some of the things that have been said here, and gain a bit of perspective, I want to address some points.

First, as mentioned in my previous post, I live not fifteen to twenty minutes from where this shooting took place. It pains me to have to go to these measures to provide context, but I feel that it will help paint a better picture of the environment and area that this happened in.

Thanks for providing some context. I think its important that people understand that each event of this nature is different; the common denominator is guns and access to them by the wrong people.

edit on Fri Feb 1 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedog1973

I think its important that people understand that each event of this nature is different; the common denominator is guns and access to them by the wrong people.

I believe that to be incorrect!

The "common denominator" is a person making a choice to try and take another's life! We need to get to the bottom of how a person would come to this decision, and why they feel that it is their best or only option!

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
Isn't this akin to a shooting in south central L.A., or chicago??
I see no real news here, just more hood violence.

Move out of the hood!

So you're saying if a school shooting occurs in a hood area it's not news and we shouldn't care?

But if it happens in a suburb like Newton, we should care about it?

Hmmmmmmm, I wonder why that is

And do you think those kids want to live in the ghetto? I forgot they got to choose where they were born or live.

edit on 1-2-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
White shooters = poor lost soul with mental problems

Black, Latino shooters = evil violent thugs

Is what this thread is telling me. Rather sad state of affairs on ATS.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by WaterBottle

Originally posted by g146541
Isn't this akin to a shooting in south central L.A., or chicago??
I see no real news here, just more hood violence.

Move out of the hood!

So you're saying if a school shooting occurs in a hood area it's not news and we shouldn't care?

But if it happens in a suburb like Newton, we should care about it?

Hmmmmmmm, I wonder why that is

And do you think those kids want to live in the ghetto? I forgot they got to choose where they were born or live.

In a nutshell, NO there is no reason to care unless you live in a craphole like where this shooting took place.
Crime is encouraged by the thugs in these neighborhoods, death is familiar to them as they do it to each other all of the time!
THEY DO IT TO EACH OTHER!!
But you would compare Oakland to Mayberry RFD?????
Of course these kids did not choose to be born in the ghetto, but their parents never correct this problem and simply move out.
So as long as parents do not care for their children, they will continue to be lost to many things up to and including death.
I could point out so many other things on this subject but I guess one of my posts here already got removed for excessive truth.
It is not harsh or mean or racist, it is a fact.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

In a nutshell, NO there is no reason to care unless you live in a craphole like where this shooting took place.

I didn't know there was a difference in the value of life suburban school kids vs. suburban school kids. Last time I checked people were people and school shootings are all equal.

Crime is encouraged by the thugs in these neighborhoods, death is familiar to them as they do it to each other all of the time!

Uh... everyone that lives in the ghetto is not a criminal or thug. I take it you never lived there.

It is not harsh or mean or racist, it is a fact.

Nah, you're def racist, just like most of ATS. Really could care what else you try to say you're not.
edit on 2-2-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-2-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I see...
This area was razed of the projects a few years back...
I also know that the whole of Atlanta is an armpit at best compared to the rest of the nation.
Here in Sacramento we have a "ghetto" it is called Oak Park and the city wanted to "improve the image" so they put up new facades and painted streets and put in new plants and... ...They put lipstick on a pig is all that happened.
I do not understand where the racist thing comes from though, I never mentioned color.
If you associate color with a bad neighborhood, that is your demon not mine.
I dislike....thugs no matter what color they are if that makes me racist, ima have to tell alot of friends about my condition.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by WaterBottle

I didn't know there was a difference in the value of life suburban school kids vs. suburban school kids. Last time I checked people were people and school shootings are all equal.

It depends, if you run with thugs and live a reckless life, then yes your life is worth less.
Hint: there is not really an Amish mafia.
Not all school shootings are equal either, some are a thug targeting a specific person and others just involve a sociopath looking to make the highest body count, two wholly different animals there.

Uh... everyone that lives in the ghetto is not a criminal or thug. I take it you never lived there.

One does not have to live in the ghetto to understand that major crimes never happen in my neighborhood but they do on a daily basis in the bad areas.
I do agree that not everyone in the hood is a thug, some are what we call victims or statistics.

I do find it hilarious all of this crying of "racist" though.
There is something you need to know about me, but I don't generally dump personal details for my online profile.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

I do agree that not everyone in the hood is a thug, some are what we call victims or statistics.

Yeahhhhhh, they aren't people, just numbers. I guess I didn't become a human until I moved to the suburban green pasture.

I do find it hilarious all of this crying of "racist" though. There is something you need to know about me, but I don't generally dump personal details for my online profile

I can only assume you're alluding to that you're black and well that means nothing. There are a ton of black people that hate themselves and other black people.

I get why you're saying what you're saying now though. You want to try and emphasize the fact that YOU are nothing like "THOSE PEOPLE". Guess what, if you are black, a huge portion of society doesn't see you as a "special suburban black person", they see you as a black person and all the negative stereotypes that come with it, ie; a thug. You better wake up to reality, you aren't seen as a special snowflake and never will be...

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Maybe it's a good thing the media covers these shootings more. I agree, they aren't happening more and more (except maybe the location), but that the media is covering it. And I understand the sentiment that it sensationalizes the topic.

But maybe that's what needs to happen to wake America up that we need to stat looking at the mental health of todays youth.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join