It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN Report: Israel Must Withdraw All Settlers o Face The ICC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
news.antiwar.com...

This is finally "it". About 40 years late but better late then never. The UNHRC has detemined Israel is in violation of International Law by allowing and assisting settlers in the settlement of the West Bank. Israel has been ordered to begin the process of removing all settlers from Palestinian land.and cease building new settlements. Read the link for all the legal authority. This is going to get very interesting as sanctions against Israel are likely if they refuse as we all know they will. Israel has now lost their chance for a negotiated peace with the new Palestinian State. Palestine no longer is forced to negotiate as they can just wait the Israelis out. Since Israel will most certainly refuse and label the report pure anti semitisn, we can expect the US to come to Israels defense with some sort of comprimise plan. Seems to me that the die is cast and Israel will either comply or be labeled a "rogue state" If anyone has the time or inclination to research the crimes Israel has perpetrated against the Palestinians they will wonder how the world could let this go on for so long without meaningful objection.

I applaud the UNHRC report.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by gem_man

This may seem bigger than it actually is, Israel is known to ignore any UN resolution not in their favor.

I am sure they feel the pressure mounting though, so one can always hope they will eventually listen to reason.

But i am afraid they will not, unless threatened with force, by something such as NATO.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I found a link to the actual report here - ohchr.org.

Since this is not a UN resolution it cannot be enforced. Stated under 'Recommendations' of this report:

Israel must, in compliance with article 49 of the Fourth Geneva Convention, cease all settlement activities without preconditions. In addition it must immediately initiate a process of withdrawal of all settlers from the OPT. The Mission further urges Israel to ensure adequate, effective and prompt remedy to all Palestinian victims for the harm suffered as a consequence of human rights violations that are a result of the settlements in accordance with Israel’s international obligation to provide effective remedy. Where necessary, steps must to be taken to provide such remedy in concurrence with the representatives of the Palestinian people and with the assistance of the international community.

Israel certainly will not stop expanding it's settlement activities never mind a complete withdrawal from Palestinian territories. Since the Palestinians have non-member status at the UN now it opens the door to joining the ICC. If the Palestinians can make use of the International Criminal Court they can use this report as a basis to prove Israel has violated human rights under the Geneva Convention.

All sounds interesting but I'm sure it'll be decades before we see any actual changes.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
It's the final countdown

tick tock tick tock tick tock

Just a matter of time before the murderous criminals are brought to book.

tick tock tick tock tick tock

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by gem_man

not sure the UNHRC is the right body for this. with members such as the PRC (known for authoritarian regime, forced labor caps, and a brutal persecution against the Falun Gong), Saudy Arebia, with its Wahabi autocracy, do not even let women drive...human right you say?

Mauritania, now VP of the UNHRC, is known for its slave labor.

enough said...

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
This isn't going to be easy. The zionist settlers are heavily armed and in the past have used weapons to attack Muslims in Palestinian territory.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Yeah...ooook!

Good luck with that UN.

I can tell you right now, this won't happen. Even if the ICC agreed to do whatever they are threatening, nothing would ever get done. Bury them in paper work and international support from your allies and the UN is powerless.

Even more than it is when it doesn't have those hurdles, which is to say, a lot.

~Tenth

top topics

join