It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High School Robotics Team Helps Kitten Walk Again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
This is for all the folks tired of the gloom and doom threads.

A poor little kitten was born with a birth defect that doesn't allow her to control he back legs. She had to drag herself around with only he front legs, dragging her body behind her. The shelter she was staying at thought they would have to euthanize her. Along comes a High School robotics team and they managed to build a contraption to allow the poor kitty to walk again.

High schoolers help crippled cat walk again

A group of robotics students in Colorado teamed up with a veterinarian to devise a life-saving solution for one crippled kitty.

According to CNN, the cat, Flipper, suffered a spine fracture that left her unable to control her hind legs, making it impossible for her to get around, and putting her in danger being put to sleep.

“Our problem was the spinal cord was twisted much like a telephone cable is twisted,” said Dr. Harry Gurney, who treated Flipper at his clinic in Aspen. “While half the body was going forward the other half of the body was going sideways.”

Gurney then turned to the “Blitz Robot” club at Conifer High School. After running through a few models, the team assembled a two-wheeled “cat cart” that secured Flipper to a harness while allowing her to use her front legs to push herself without further damage.

Raw Story

I love how, when they attatch the contraption to her, she doesn't start walking; she starts running around everywhere!

Truly a story to warm the heart.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
What a beautiful cat!!!!!!!!! Such a heart warming story! Thank you for sharing this!!

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Amen.
God bless that team.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Always nice to hear a story of human kindness

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Thanks for restoring a bit of my hope for humanity. Especially after this thread. Good find op.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Garkiniss
Thanks for restoring a bit of my hope for humanity. Especially after this thread. Good find op.

If the guy was so worried about his dog being gay, why didn't he just have him fixed?

Some people are so stupid. I'm glad the shelter kept the "gay" dog around long enough to get adopted instead of following the previous owner's recommendation.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I really, really want to scream TIMMAHH - in the worst way. But that was cool. Nice find F.A.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

What a beautiful story! I hope Flipper makes a full recovery. God bless those kids for making a way for the kitty to cruise around!

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

It really shows you the good humans are capable of, when they put their minds in the right direction.

Good find, S&F.

top topics

join