It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Troops denied hot breakfast in Afghanistan?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by aLLeKs

Thanks for reminding me how much I miss Deutschland.

Good times, good times.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by aLLeKs

And what are you talking about? YOU HAVE BEER if we had beer we wouldn't get up for breakfast either.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Yeah, I'm outraged that people would consider this outrageous.

They have MRE's, your're on mission. Eat the food they put in front of you.

~Tenth

I think you all are missing the point.

The point is that we have hot meals for our civilians back home, but the people who risk their lives everyday can't even have them ?

That is messed up.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85

The point is that we have hot meals for our civilians back home, but the people who risk their lives everyday can't even have them ?

That is messed up.

MREs have a heating pack. You won't burn your mouth on the food, but it does warm it up. All you have to is add water to the packet and slip it into the cardboard sleeve of the meal you want to heat up.

They have hot grub available if they are motivated to do so. Anything else is considered whining.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Well they are still getting 2 hot meals a day and the trauma units are out of sight man.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Yeah, I'm outraged that people would consider this outrageous.

They have MRE's, your're on mission. Eat the food they put in front of you.

~Tenth

That is messed up.

but they are getting hot meals! two a day!

no issue.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Don't join the Military, have hot breakfast.

Great anti-war slogan. Use it wisely, it's powerful.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

why do i feel like a big pussy after reading your response...

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Maybe this can be the start of their punishment for slaughtering innocent civilians.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Who would have thought rationing would start with the military.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Wow- I really hate to make my very first post on ATS such a *itchy one- but here goes anyway.

I have to point out that your ability to pick out every possible "perk" of military service while managing to completely ignore why perhaps that "perk" is a necessity or *gasp* perhaps even well earned is really quite impressive.

And for everyones info- I've been married to an active duty Marine for 19years. He has served over 4 years in our current combat zones and more than 6 since 9/11 away from home on GWOT assignments.

1. Housing "allowances" are part of a salary package that members sign on for. Being assigned a home on base/post was a requirement of military life until fairly recently. The DoD had difficulties providing enough housing for an all professional military (means more families-careerist) and there were serious health consequences regarding very aging housing. (ie. asbestos, ground water contamination) It also important to consider the financial implications for a family having to move every 2-3 years to areas with dramatically different costs of living- but no pay adjustments.

2. Tri care isn't free. Though again, medical care is part of the contract for employment the same as Blue Cross is for other jobs.

3. Military personnel buy their uniforms.

4. The commissary prices are not the same everywhere. I can't even buy the same items in California that I can in NC much less expect them to be the exact same price.

6. Most of the recreational opportunities your addressing are only available onboard military bases and are not Disneyland Resort facilities.

7. The Military Star card can be a necessity for a young family when new uniforms & supplies are required before a deployment. And just like with any other means of credit, there is a charge for not having a long credit history.8

8. USAA is not discounted insurance. I could do much better with Geico pricewise. What USAA is however, is an extremely quality organization. There are definite benefits in having access to it.

9. Pretty much the only time my husband has used a mess hall regularly was during deployments. And FYI, you receive a food allowance which is either included in your pay, or removed depending on whether or not you are utilizing it. Meaning, it's not free- part of a contract agreement for employment.

11. In 19 years my family has not once been able to take advantage of a Hops flight- because we're not together or can't run the risk of running over my Husband's available leave time.

Also, I think it's important that you remember that these are individuals who do not work standard 40 hour weeks by a long stretch. There are weeks/months at a time spent sleeping in tents in the field living off of MRE's even when they are not deployed. As well as nights/weekends/holidays standing duty and the inevitable must be "on-call" even when on leave. We've had to leave family at Christmas so my husband was 2hrs less from work in case he's called up.

You do see a large number of "badass" vehicles on military bases. Please remember that your talking about a work force of primarily young men. Young men who before marriage are living on base and deploying. What else are they gonna buy?

Just a little FYI re the MRE's. It is not healthy for most servicemembers to be relying on them for nutrition for extended periods of time. They were designed as high fat content foods to be useful when living outdoors in extreme conditions where standard food preparation wasn't available. When people are deploying 3, 4, 5 times for 1 year plus at a time eating only MRE's- it can create dangerous health concerns, and their bodies do belong to the US Gov't; it's an obligation to protect their investment.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
Who would have thought rationing would start with the military.

They don't really ration, the bombs, guns, tanks, cruise missiles, drones, stealth bombers and other military hardware though do they? I'm sure one less cruise missile, could keep the troops in hot meals for their whole tour. All about priorities.

At least the troops know they have the biggest and best military in the world to make things a little easier out there for them. Not like they are up against anything in comparison military wise.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

This article of information does not even raise an emotion for me. For starters the soldiers choose to become soldiers and they choose to accept the conditions of war. Plenty of locals in the country they occupy barely make a living and barely get by and have to live with the threat of being killed by a soldier - before they even think about breakfast!

There are plenty of people on the planet that don't get breakfast full stop. Maybe this is why the soldier suicide rate is so high. The soldiers are trained - given a gun - given vaccines and medications for who knows what - they go out and kill some innocent locals and then over breakfast they realise the futility of their position.

Then the hot breakfast gets taken away and they start to think about their lives and the 'war' they are fighting. Not getting a hot breakfast is not the worst thing that could happen. Maybe they should leave the army and come back home and make their own hot breakfast.

Personally I would much rather the army take away the guns and bombs. Then the soldiers could help rebuild the communities they have destroyed - much more productive.

Much Peace...to all the people who are starving right now...

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Big deal. Not to sound all cold or anything, but its only one meal out of the day, and MRE's do come with heaters. I remember deployments where we had to rely on MRE's only also, and I'm still just fine from it. Plus, MRE's have gotten so much better over the years. When i joined in 98, MRE's didn't have half the stuff they got in em today. Don't worry, they'll be just fine, soldiers are tough.

Besides, I remember some of those MRE's tasting better than mess chow anyways.
edit on 1/2/13 by gunshooter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

They weren't drafted. They volunteered. They're being fed. I have no sympathy for them just because they don't get biscuits and gravy, or bacon sausage and eggs.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I was never on bases long enough for a hot meal while I was in Iraq, I think I maybe had two or three when we were switching over with the out going unit. If I could make it 7 months on gems like cheese and veggie omelet, they can make due with no hot breakfast.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

I talked to a Nam vet the other day that told me he'd rather do 10 years in Nam than a year in Iraq or Afghanistan. He cited your same reasons, they got to go on R&R, drink, smoke weed and get hookers while most of us in the ME spent our entire time in the field with no form of release. I got one beer on the Marine Corps B-day and it's the 2nd best beer I've ever had (the first being a combo of beers in Germany on the way home)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I have always said troops deserve better...

I live in the UK were our soldiers are treated like crap! (FULL STOP)

Any man or woman that is willing to sacrifice their lives in the defense of there nation and fellow country men should deserve a hot breakfast!

Just my 2 cents, football or as over the pond they say soccer player have the better salary.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

I haven't been to Afghanistan, but I was in Iraq. Anyone who has been in the field could probably care less if they don't get a hot breakfast (they've got showers and real toilets on bases and that's enough to be happy). All the FOBbits are probably up in arms though (a FOBbit is anyone who stays on a base their entire deployment).

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisF231

they've got pizza hut and KFC in Kuwait and subway at Al Asad in Iraq.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join