I just had a thought ...
What if the military has to many MRE meals? Maybe they have to get rid of them or throw them out?
Probably not, but just a thought.
Upon reflecting this topic, I did think of a few things.
Whille I was in the shower this morning I thought, "Damn, a hot shower is such a real luxury that I take for granted every morning." Earlier in the
week when I was eating some fresh bread I baked from scratch I thought, "Damn, something so simple as home made bread is such a simple luxury!"
Now, I get it that having something taken away that was nice sucks...but if you add up all the other benefits of military service:
1. Housing allowance (people here even take out 350k mortgages and live in brand new subdivisions with that money)
2. Free health care ala Tri-Care (okay, so it's not as good as it used to be but still)
3. Uniforms (never have to worry about what you're going to wear to work!
4. Commisary privlages (same price no matter where in the USA you live, gotta love that!)
5. Free gym access
6. Discounted camping/recreational areas (cabins and military 'hotels' like in Hawaii)
7. Star Cards (a military credit card, even if you have no credit or it sucks you get one)
8. Discounted insurance through USAA
9. Free meals at the mess hall for lunch/dinner
10. Cheaper gas on post than for civillians
11. Ability to fly super cheap via "hops" (I know...it's cold, noisy, uncomfortable and not always available)
I could go on and on and on. Sounds to me like they pretty much live in a socialst/communist society. Some people stationed around here never even
leave the base while stationed here. They don't need to -- they have EVERYTHING on base provided for them, or provided cheaply. The US Gov. sure does
do a great job a promoting and providing a false sense of being "middle class". I see more badass trucks and jeeps on post than anywhere else in the
ETA: I know someone is going to point out about the mortgage and housing allowance. Where I live 350k for a 3 bedroom house on 1/4 acre with a 2 car
garage is perfectly normal. People here get 1200-1600/mo for housing. I know, because I work with spouses of active duty and reservists.
on 31-1-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)