It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Troops denied hot breakfast in Afghanistan?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
anyone have a breaking story on the TP situation over there ?

Yeah it has to be biodegradable after all when fighting a war they have to "save the planet" by going green .

ETA: Mre's are low in fiber which means they don't really need TP.
edit on 31-1-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
This is quite a story to come out. Troops are apparently being told they can make do on MRE's on base for their breakfasts. It's being done, according to this, in the interests of drawing down forces and logistics, not budget concerns. Personally, when it can be planned out specicially to numbers of bases and dates the meal service is cut off for so many at once? This isn't a mere quirk related to draw down, IMO. It's a slap in the face and insult to the men fighting and dying in a place I'd be happy to see them ALL come home from.

On January 17, Congressman Bruce Braley wrote to Secretary of the Army John McHugh to express his concern. According to Jeff Giertz, Communications Director for the United States Congressman's office, he was prompted to do so after being contacted by the mother of one of his Iowa constituents who is serving abroad in Afghanistan.

Colonel Joseph Wawro, the commander of the 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, said breakfast and the midnight meal are now MREs (Meal, Ready-to-Eat) at the affected bases, while lunch and dinner are still served hot. He also noted most dining facilities have take-away items like cereal, granola, energy bars, milk, juice, fruit, etc. for supplemental snacking.

This is just flat wrong, in my opinion. If hot meal service is available AT ALL in these locations, why specifically cut breakfast and leave the others? Why this one meal to give morale a swift kick? It is extensive though and dated for impact.....

Rep. Bruce Braley (IA-01) today wrote Army Secretary John McHugh to express “growing concern” regarding Army actions that have ended service of breakfast to American troops serving at 17 US military outposts in Afghanistan.

Braley has also been informed by the Army that this policy will be expanded to more locations in Afghanistan beginning on February 1st.
Source

Perhaps someone with deployed time over there can help explain and shed some light on any reasonable explanation a person like me or this family member wouldn't understand for this?

It's not that big of a deal. The only person making a deal of it is that congressman.

They aren't going to starve by any means. I spent 8 yrs over there total, Iraq and A$$crackistan more often than not i was at the smaller camps that served one hot meal a day...dinner and that was normally T-Rat's. MRE's you can warm up if you want. They'd also have dry cereal, microwave stuff, cookies, donuts, soda, milk, coffee. Plus, that's why you request care packages from family and friends, so you can stock up.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Hold on, let me get this straight....a soldiers mommy called to complain about her son not getting "hot" breakfast??? And people are really supporting this coddling???

Wow...just wow.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by bg_socalif

Thank you for your input. I was hoping to hear from some who had done time in that country and likely in some of these bases themselves, If it's not a big deal to the guys actually serving there, then it shouldn't be to anyone else. Fair enough on that. In your view, it's not a biggie.... That's a valuable perspective to add!

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

I bet we are going broke. I would go with that we cant afford it anymore. And they are going to have slow cut backs until there is not much left. Gets them use to it....

tough times and all that.

Its a damn disgrace.

I bet the mercenaries get well fed......and paid more, and are safer, and get better equipment, and.....ect.
edit on 31-1-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I find it hard to believe that MRE's are actually "cheaper" in the long run than contracted meals. They are fairly expensive actually.

I bet it is not related to funds at all - I would wager it is a way for the contractors to make more money from the government by cutting their staff.

I am making assumptions based on my having Commanded a small COB with SOF in theater. We got our hot meals by local purchasing from the village. Food was excellent, very cheap and our funds pumped some cash into the local economy.

Understand of course I was feeding 50 people not 500 so I had no KBR staff or a real facility. A lot of times we purchased local livestock and killed, grilled it ourselves with vegetables and rice. Also, this was part of the process of building community relations by supporting the local economy. We paid more than the livestock were worth usually...

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

You make a great point about the different wars and how they are both better and worse in their own ways. The same with being able to just leave base and shop locally inside the nation the fighting is happening in. What a foreign concept it is now, eh?

I recall when the troops first established control on Baghdad...or thought they had. One story I'll never forget was a U.S. Soldier going nearby to get a soda from a vending machine and reportedly shot in the head at point blank when an Iraqi just walked right up and did it, bold as brass and broad daylight.

So much for the idea of the U.S. forces getting to know the locals as anything but potential enemies and generally only in the worst of conditions....never really relaxed ones that could foster understanding either direction. That first incident should have sent warning bells ringing all the way back to the White House then. "Warning Will Robinson! Danger! Danger!". Naww... They just locked down bases and forbade any troops to mix off-base with anyone again as I seem to recall the reaction. Ugh..

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by 200Plus
reply to post by resoe26

I have a lot of friends that are Viet Nam vets and even a few Korean War vets. They love to tell me how weak today's Army is. How we are spoiled and have things too easy.

They had open access to the civilian markets (as could be found) during those wars. A majority of soldiers in the ME may never even meet an indig.

They were allowed (and even supplied) alcohol during those wars. Off limits GO #1 to us today.

They had "rear areas" in those wars. We have "green zones" but even that isn't safe.

Every war is different and every soldier experiences things differently. I couldn't imagine what they went through and they tell me the same thing about the ME.

As far as skipping a meal I think over half of the military can probably afford it LoL

Hell yeah.

Yeah I became good friends with this old fella while working for him.
Always dig hearing his stories.
As a matter of fact, he is the one that convinced me to join.
Saved my life.

Id probably be in jail for life by now if I didn't go.
Most Vets I have met, are truly the greatest, most inspirational folks I have ever came across.
You can learn much from them

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by xedocodex

Hold on, let me get this straight....a soldiers mommy called to complain about her son not getting "hot" breakfast??? And people are really supporting this coddling???

Wow...just wow.

HAHA! My FIRST thought - talk about "helicopter parenting"

Other than that, get our guys (and gals) the heck out of there - that will save more money than not feeding them hot eggs.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Are you asking if it's odd that the military bureaucrats and brass decided to cheat front-line soldiers out of hot meals?

From where I stand the military does a pretty crappy job at taking care of their soldiers in general. It was only a matter of time before that practice bled into the in service side of things.

The government have always used the military as testing grounds for a variety of things, we all know this. These sorts of things are just conditioning programs to further the idea that we aren't worth things like a good breakfast or a fearless night's sleep.

Remove a solider's humanity and compassion and you have the perfect weapon.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

I noticed that your source it Congressman Bruce Braley's congressional web page.

Who wants to bet Congressman Braley isn't getting a whole heap of campaign contributions from the company that supplies those breakfasts to the troops?

Something tells me his outrage has more to do with financial motives than compassion for the troops.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Our government is treating vets as second-class citizens state-side, why not in a war zone as well? At least they are consistent.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Just a thought.

For those who state that the soldiers should suck it up, please pause.

While it is true that it is the individual that made the decision to join knowing full well that it would not be easy and that they would be held hostage at the possibility of governmental budgetary dictates. . . .

Please keep that in mind when we discuss unemployment benefits that the government doles out to people that joined another profession(s) then got laid off and have been on the government dole knowing full well that they would be held hostage at the possibility of governmental budgetary dictates.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I partially agree with you or I should say conditionally it depends on many factors to simply be put into those terms.

Most armies are now professional, professionals have higher maintenance costs than conscripted soldiers, they have better training, better equipment and hopefully better skills, skills that are valued and require a bit of pampering to maintain reenlisting numbers up and avoid drops, the more technical the function the more considerations it is given to the soldiers (this is why the air force has in general the better conditions across most nations etc..)

Then there is the time context, life today is completely different than life 20 years ago in terms of access to heat, food and communications. It is just normal to have the same expectations in the military.

Then there is the issue of costs, how much does it cost and in comparison to other expenses to determine if it is reasonable to stop this specific practice.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I just had a thought ...

What if the military has to many MRE meals? Maybe they have to get rid of them or throw them out?

Probably not, but just a thought.

Upon reflecting this topic, I did think of a few things.

Whille I was in the shower this morning I thought, "Damn, a hot shower is such a real luxury that I take for granted every morning." Earlier in the week when I was eating some fresh bread I baked from scratch I thought, "Damn, something so simple as home made bread is such a simple luxury!"

Now, I get it that having something taken away that was nice sucks...but if you add up all the other benefits of military service:

1. Housing allowance (people here even take out 350k mortgages and live in brand new subdivisions with that money)
2. Free health care ala Tri-Care (okay, so it's not as good as it used to be but still)
3. Uniforms (never have to worry about what you're going to wear to work!
4. Commisary privlages (same price no matter where in the USA you live, gotta love that!)
5. Free gym access
6. Discounted camping/recreational areas (cabins and military 'hotels' like in Hawaii)
7. Star Cards (a military credit card, even if you have no credit or it sucks you get one)
8. Discounted insurance through USAA
9. Free meals at the mess hall for lunch/dinner
10. Cheaper gas on post than for civillians
11. Ability to fly super cheap via "hops" (I know...it's cold, noisy, uncomfortable and not always available)

I could go on and on and on. Sounds to me like they pretty much live in a socialst/communist society. Some people stationed around here never even leave the base while stationed here. They don't need to -- they have EVERYTHING on base provided for them, or provided cheaply. The US Gov. sure does do a great job a promoting and providing a false sense of being "middle class". I see more badass trucks and jeeps on post than anywhere else in the city.

ETA: I know someone is going to point out about the mortgage and housing allowance. Where I live 350k for a 3 bedroom house on 1/4 acre with a 2 car garage is perfectly normal. People here get 1200-1600/mo for housing. I know, because I work with spouses of active duty and reservists.
edit on 31-1-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Ok my chance to once again be warned, I take it from your comment you probably haven't served but your ignorance is ok, that is why myself and many other before and currently have or continue to serve our country, just so you in my opinion can spout your thoughtless ideas.

Having warm meals in a combat enviornment is a great pleasure, that with a little down time away from the battle is one of the few solitary moments a soldier receives, oh wait we have our armed friends that we pay and train shoot us with the very weapons we provide.

I have and will always fight for you to speak your mind, it is our right however stupid or offensive it might be to those of us who bled and many who have died. Perhaps you should consider that a soldier, our soldiers are doing what they are told. You seldomly hear about the the G.I who gives his MRE's away or gives his personal belongings a jacket or a sweater to the child who is hungary or cold.

I believe you owe all soldiers and vets an apology for your remarks, remove my post if you wish.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by DOLCOTT

Ok my chance to once again be warned, I take it from your comment you probably haven't served but your ignorance is ok, that is why myself and many other before and currently have or continue to serve our country, just so you in my opinion can spout your thoughtless ideas.

I've never served, but I'm from a military family.

Having warm meals in a combat enviornment is a great pleasure, that with a little down time away from the battle is one of the few solitary moments a soldier receives, oh wait we have our armed friends that we pay and train shoot us with the very weapons we provide.

I always sorta found it funny that you guys just go along with that stuff. You know it's atrocious and stupid, arming and training folks who are just bound to turn on you, yet you do it anyway. Don't question the results of your actions or intentions.

I have and will always fight for you to speak your mind, it is our right however stupid or offensive it might be to those of us who bled and many who have died.

And I have no problem with you picking up a gun to defend my freedoms. I do have a problem with you doing it for somebody else, which is what the imperialist armies of NATO are doing.

Perhaps you should consider that a soldier, our soldiers are doing what they are told.

Just following orders are we? Not responsible for our conscious decisions to follow bad orders?

You can save me the indignation. I think it's even MORE pathetic that one would say they were forced, or following orders as a justification for actions taken.

You seldomly hear about the the G.I who gives his MRE's away or gives his personal belongings a jacket or a sweater to the child who is hungary or cold.

You speak as if I am ignorant that soldiers are human, and inherently good people in most cases. I am perfectly aware that the vast majority of soldiers are awesome people and I wish them well in their decisions.

But the decisions are theirs and theirs alone. They are responsible for their own actions. You don't become a killer just because somebody put a gun in your hands, and showed you how to use it.

I believe you owe all soldiers and vets an apology for your remarks, remove my post if you wish.

Apologize for holding an opinion that is opposed to yours? No thank you.

As stated, I am from a military family, some of who are currently serving over seas. You know what they have in common with me?

They think the reason they are there is BS too. For some reason nobody has the courage to stand up and tell those who sent them there to stop.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
What is our military coming to? Soldiers crying to mommy because they dident get a hot breakfast? WE ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF A F--KING WAR YOU DIMWIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Back in World War II soldiers were lucky if they got a hot meal once a week. Take what the mess sergeant puts on your tray and eat it.

AFAIK the fast food franchises are only on stateside bases. I would be shocked if Burger King, McDonald's, Subway, etc have locations on Iraq or Afghanistan bases.

On a side note exactly how bad are MRE's? How do they compare to say Chef Boyardee or the Boston Market frozen meals?

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231

On a side note exactly how bad are MRE's? How do they compare to say Chef Boyardee or the Boston Market frozen meals?

Everyone has their own personal favorites.

Mine is the corned beef hash.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I should buy some MREs just to see what they're all about these days.

I mean, if they're good enough for the troops, they're good enough for me. Do they still have those tiny bottles of tobasco sauce in them? I love tobasco.

It could be worse, they could be eating Mountain House freeze-dried camping meals. Those things have hardly any calories in them. I usually have to eat a protien bar in conjunction with them out camping.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join