School To Hold 'Active Shooting Drill': Firing Blanks in the Hallways

page: 1
4
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Apparently I just came across this in a Facebook share, and I thought it would be an interesting thing to see what people thought about it here.

School to Hold 'Active Shooting Drill', Firing Blanks in the Hallway




CBS News reports that a high school in the far northwest suburb of Chicago will be conducting a school shooting drill which will include all the usual securing of the classrooms by teachers: locking of doors, closing of curtains, switching off of lights, and huddling in shadowy corners.


Perhaps I'm missing something, but since when was this an adequate method of prevention? While it may seem like a good idea to prepare children for such an atrocity, this isn't the military. They aren't going into combat. And what if someone decided to come in on one of these 'drills' and act out the real thing while the 'fake' gunfire was going off? Who is to stop the shooting, or target the shooter then?

In my opinion, this is going to cause a hell of a lot more problems than it's going to solve, and it's going to give a whole school of children a case of unnecessary PTSD.
edit on 31-1-2013 by Transitarian because: (no reason given)
edit on 31-1-2013 by Transitarian because: (no reason given)




posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
This is random, disregard this my computer was having a melt down!!
edit on 31-1-2013 by Transitarian because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I actually think this is a really good idea, schools have drills for other emergencies such as fires, and it makes sense to me that staff are taught how to deal with a shooting situation as well and that pupils know what to do to maximise their chances of keeping safe in such a scenario. Personally I think they should have been doing this a long time ago.



posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Someone will "accidentally" replace the blanks with real bullets.



posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Definitely need to continue to have drills for these kinds of events. If you know an event has a probability of occurring, you can prepare by practicing. The only think I think they need to replace is the "huddling" in dark corners as this is just the kind of action which allows mass mowing downs to occur.

I think they also need to add drills on what to do when the active shooter enters an actual classroom - maybe have the students ready to throw something at the attacker and jump out the windows? Throw and tackle? Throw, tackle, and run away?



posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin
 


You really think this is a good idea? So setting the school on fire would be a good idea in your opinion because it makes the scenario more realistic?



posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
While it may be a good 'warm and fuzzy feeling' for most, what if the kids suddenly get used to this? And instead begin to take these less-seriously than what they are meant to be? What if a kid walks out of the classroom during what they think is a drill?

In my opinion it's far too much of a risk for something to actually happen. Simple 'Red Alert' drills have always sufficed in my school, and no gunshots were needed for us to cooperate actively. Perhaps that it's just the fact that I wouldn't want someone firing blanks around in the hallway where my kids were walking.



posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Transitarian
Apparently I just came across this in a Facebook share, and I thought it would be an interesting thing to see what people thought about it here.

School to Hold 'Active Shooting Drill', Firing Blanks in the Hallway




CBS News reports that a high school in the far northwest suburb of Chicago will be conducting a school shooting drill which will include all the usual securing of the classrooms by teachers: locking of doors, closing of curtains, switching off of lights, and huddling in shadowy corners.


Perhaps I'm missing something, but since when was this an adequate method of prevention? While it may seem like a good idea to prepare children for such an atrocity, this isn't the military. They aren't going into combat. And what if someone decided to come in on one of these 'drills' and act out the real thing while the 'fake' gunfire was going off? Who is to stop the shooting, or target the shooter then?

In my opinion, this is going to cause a hell of a lot more problems than it's going to solve, and it's going to give a whole school of children a case of unnecessary PTSD.
edit on 31-1-2013 by Transitarian because: (no reason given)
edit on 31-1-2013 by Transitarian because: (no reason given)


If you get PTSD from blanks than you are probably not fit for real life.



posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Being that this is in Chicago, I'll be surprised if one of the students doesn't pull out their own gun and return fire.
edit on 31-1-2013 by KawRider9 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Kinda puts a wrench in all the GUVMINT' WANT YOOR GUNZ theory no?

I mean training school kids how to shoot isnt exactly a smart thing to do if DA GUVMINT was trying to disarm and control a defenseless population no?



posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tuttle
Kinda puts a wrench in all the GUVMINT' WANT YOOR GUNZ theory no?

I mean training school kids how to shoot isnt exactly a smart thing to do if DA GUVMINT was trying to disarm and control a defenseless population no?


Kinda puts a wrench in the idea that you read about something before posting on it no? Where did you get that they were training school kids how to shoot?



posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by RandyBragg
 




Substitute teacher Debbie Gummerson said, “Let’s put the kids through some training, and maybe we could save some lives that way, should something ever happen.”





“It was their recommendation that we do this in order to create the knowledge necessary to keep our students safe in an active crisis situation,” Puma said.


Yup, introducing guns to the nations schools and everything that goes with it, teaching them about what guns are, how they operate and how to be safe around them in the event of an emergency is EXACTLY what a DA GUVMINT trying to disarm a population would do.

edit on 31-1-2013 by Tuttle because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I'm not being funny here, but I can't even tell you how innappropriate such a drill would be in a British school. I mean, seriously, there would be no way in the world such an idea would even be entertained.

Are you American folk sure you secretly aren't at war or something?


Apologies for being flippant, but this sounds crazy from a Brit standpoint.

Peace, and here's hoping no-one involved in this ever needs the training



posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tuttle
reply to post by RandyBragg
 




Substitute teacher Debbie Gummerson said, “Let’s put the kids through some training, and maybe we could save some lives that way, should something ever happen.”





“It was their recommendation that we do this in order to create the knowledge necessary to keep our students safe in an active crisis situation,” Puma said.


Yup, introducing guns to the nations schools and everything that goes with it, teaching them about what guns are, how they operate and how to be safe around them in the event of an emergency is EXACTLY what a DA GUVMINT trying to disarm a population would do.

edit on 31-1-2013 by Tuttle because: (no reason given)


They were not teaching kids how to shoot, you are taking a quote and you are not even taking it out of context you are making up what it says.
Its quite clear that you just want to inject this " EXACTLY what a DA GUVMINT" into a thread which it does not belong.
Why don't you start making sense or start your own thread.



posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Got to sufficiently terrify and traumatize the kids if you want the next generation to support gun bans.

Drill it in year after year to FEAR! FEAR! FEAR! and making use of ski mask wearing agents firing blanks all around them will help drive the point home.

I wonder if they gave everyone ear plugs?



posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
The gun manufactures want every one to carry guns like Hitler had in Germany.
Insensitivity to guns is what they want. They are also holding back the 1915
peace plan of Tesla's that would observe troops and munitions buildups and
explode gun shells remotely and unobserved. Lets see that was before Communist
takeover of Russia and the Nazi plan to eliminate Communism in Russia.
Well job well done it seems, just to let you know we can't escape weapon
manufactures. Enjoy their plans to keep us informed on the alien front and
and other anti Tesla rhetoric.



posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne
The gun manufactures want every one to carry guns like Hitler had in Germany.
Insensitivity to guns is what they want. They are also holding back the 1915
peace plan of Tesla's that would observe troops and munitions buildups and
explode gun shells remotely and unobserved. Lets see that was before Communist
takeover of Russia and the Nazi plan to eliminate Communism in Russia.
Well job well done it seems, just to let you know we can't escape weapon
manufactures. Enjoy their plans to keep us informed on the alien front and
and other anti Tesla rhetoric.


What in the world are you talking about?



posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Transitarian
 


Probably to scar these kids into a lifetime of gun hating straight democrat tickets on election day. Seriously though.. it would be a frightening drill.



posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TeslaandLyne
 


Huh? That is some crazy non sense. You must be from another time line..



On another note.. why do people think gun manufacturers have so much power? I think people confuse them (which are usually fairly small businesses) with the military industrial complex.



posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere
 


I see someone thought the same thing as me.





new topics
 
4
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join