It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not peace, but a sword.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
(If I say something that is right, then God has inspired me. If I say something that is wrong, then it is my own mistake.)

“Think not that I come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.”

This is considered to be one of the more controversial statements in the New Testament, as it definitely sounds out of character coming from Jesus. But could there a deeper layer of meaning behind those words? Here is my take on this :

“Earth” = This world and all its materialistic distractions.
“Sword” = Jesus opposition to this materialistic world.

The “earth” Jesus was speaking about was the materialistic world he arrived into 2000 years ago. Jesus made it absolutely clear that he had no love for the world and repeatedly taught against being attached to it. The reason being, the world is full of materialistic distractions that causes one to lose focus on God. Jesus meant he was not here to make peace with such a world and identified it as a stumbling block to salvation.

Much like how Jesus used a whip to drive out the money changers and expressed his opposition to the temple being turned into a den of thieves… the sword that Jesus said he was bringing represents his opposition to the corrupt earth and is directed at the things in the earth that lead people astray from God. Jesus was not here to make “peace” with the world, in the sense he did not teach that one should become comfortable here in this world. Jesus refused to compromise by preaching the love of God and the love of this world. He did not preach that one should live to enjoy the pleasures of the world, as held by the unbelievers or as taught by misguided preachers through faulty doctrines. But rather he taught the exact opposite:

“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”
-Matthew 6:19-24

Jesus taught people not to be attached to their temporary existence on the earth, but rather to be wary of it and stay focused on the world to come. Jesus also taught that the world and the love of its things are incompatible with the love of God.

“For what is exalted among men is an abomination in the sight of God.”
-Luke 16:15

And what are the things that men exalt among themselves on this earth? Wealth, fame, status, pride, godlessness… to name a few. Jesus teachings against loving the world and its things also inspired these later other teachings in the Bible.

Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
-1John2:15

“So whoever wants to be a friend of this world is an enemy of God”
- James 4:4

The division we later read about between members of a household represents the conflict in the choices made between them. Some will choose to make peace with the world and some will draw their own “swords” against the world and follow God.

As for bringing “peace”… Jesus will bring final peace to the earth someday… But it will not be a secular, “anything goes” kind of peace, but a righteous kind of peace that God would want.

God knows best.

edit on 31-1-2013 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Jesus came into the world not to bring peace, but to bring the Word of God, to use as a sword in which to judge the earth.

Hebrews 4:12

12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Ephesians 6:17

17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

2 Thessalonians 2:8

8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:

Revelation 2:16

16 Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.

Revelation 19:15

15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.

Isaiah 11:4

4 But with righteousness shall he judge the poor, and reprove with equity for the meek of the earth: and he shall smite the earth: with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips shall he slay the wicked.

edit on 31-1-2013 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

(If I say something that is right, then God has inspired me. If I say something that is wrong, then it is my own mistake.)

Your self-esteem seems abhorrently nonexistent. I actually shudder to think that someone could be so hopelessly enchanted by anything.

The rest of your post was similarly painful to read. I don't get it - why would man fight for so long against emperors, dictators, and tyrants...but turn around and worship this guy? A superpowered human being? I don't care what he's bringing. So far, he's remained absent, so it doesn't really matter, does it? Wait for him to keep his promise before worrying about what he'll do.

If we wouldn't bow to a politician, I don't see why we should bow to this guy. And until he keeps his promise and shows up with peace and prosperity on a silver platter, store him with the rest of the virgin-born resurrected heroes of the mythology section.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I was raised to believe the sword represents truth, and the truth is the word of God. I haven't read the bible in a long time, so this is only what I was raised with, not how I personally feel. Though, I couldn't tell you how I feel right this second, because I'd like to re-read the whole thing before making a definite conclusion.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Mathew 10 a current thread speaking about this.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Your self-esteem seems abhorrently nonexistent. I actually shudder to think that someone could be so hopelessly enchanted by anything.

A muslim would know what I'm talking about.

Have a nice day.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   

A muslim would know what I'm talking about.

Have a nice day.

I'm not talking about Muslims. Nice dodge, by the way.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Nothing to do with self esteem....Its actually a Koranic statement.

Now, how about you stick to your Dragonball-Z cartoon shows and stay out of matters that you don't get.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Now, how about you stick to your Dragonball-Z cartoon shows and stay out of matters that you don't get.

How about you stay on topic and do a better job of defending your beliefs then.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

How about you stay on topic and do a better job of defending your beliefs then.

Its clear that you are the one who needs to stay on topic.

For starters, try addressing the verses in the OP.

(Hint : They are in green)

edit on 31-1-2013 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Since this seems to be a popular topic lately...

I might suggest those that are interested to read this thread authored by a former member and friend of mine

IAMIAM

I came not to bring peace, but a sword...

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   

I hope you realize that without the earth and earthly things, materials, the body, life itself etc., there would be nothing of your spirit world either.

Your interpretation sounds like a doctrine of death. If one wishes to do away with the earth and earthly things, to do away with it he should grab the sword of Jesus and impale himself. Metaphorically, he already has.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Its clear that you are the one who needs to stay on topic.

For starters, try addressing the verses in the OP.

For starters, try proving that Jesus actually spoke those words, and someone didn't just say he did.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

I hope you realize that without the earth and earthly things, materials, the body, life itself etc., there would be nothing of your spirit world either.

The earth and earthly things are fine.

Sometimes people allow their earthly existence to take over... it begins to dictate their priorities...and they go astray.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

I believe the verse Mathew 10:34-36 is talking about a spiritual sword that divides one person from another, because of their belief in Jesus. From the family perspective, if a son or daughter tells their biological Father, (who is an unbeliever) that he/she is now a follower of Jesus and that they now have a new Father, who is in heaven, then this is naturally going to create friction.

John 15:18-19
If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.

This above verse relates to the sword, that Jesus is talking about IMO; a sword that divides the believer from the unbeliever. Or put another way, divides those who follow the things of this world, and those who follow the things of God.

- JC

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
For starters, try proving that Jesus actually spoke those words, and someone didn't just say he did.

as a remembrance you are speaking to someone who does not consider Bible and Torah the exact words of God or Jesus. but facts mixed with alterations. at least this is what I think. we all know that for example book of Isaiah is written by someone else and it is full of killing children and ....! because some parts of those books were missed through history.
and of course a translation carries the view point of the translator. for example that Jesus is God !

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

If you look at it in it's context, he's referring to the severing of attachments which prevent the realization of the kingdom of heaven, including the attachment to one's life as it is.

He is also pointing out, if you take it in it's context, that the dynamics of one's family of origin are the root and source of the ills that prevent spiritual growth and well being.

So it's a statement about psychological and spiritual growth unto the realization of the life eternal.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Joecroft

I believe the verse Mathew 10:34-36 is talking about a spiritual sword that divides one person from another, because of their belief in Jesus.

For the reason that those who believe in Jesus obey his teachings....and refrain from seeking the things of this world.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. John 3:16-17
edit on 31-1-2013 by apsalmist because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-1-2013 by apsalmist because: Author credit

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Joecroft

This above verse relates to the sword, that Jesus is talking about IMO; a sword that divides the believer from the unbeliever. Or put another way, divides those who follow the things of this world, and those who follow the things of God.

Its still the same thing. The division is caused because some people choose the the world and its things.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join