It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pocket Dial or Gigantic Conspiracy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
So...just read this news article and it got me to thinking....is this how persons of interest are going to be tricked into believing? Did this guy truly accidentally pocket dial 911 or was this a test to see just how easily an agency could listen in on a known drug dealer/user phone to see if they could actually get enough information to make an arrest.

Just food for thought....

Florida man arrested after pocket dialing 911

Authorities say a Florida tow truck driver landed in jail after his cell phone pocket-dialed 911 and dispatchers listened in on a conversation about the sale of drugs.

edit on 1/31/2013 by kosmicjack because: fixed all caps

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

I have received 2 pocket dial calls from friends in the last month alone. It happens a lot with the new phones that don't close when you are through talking. One of my calls came from a friend who was moving her purse in the front seat of her car while picking up a friend to go shopping. It happens.

The idiot in the story you posted, well...all I can say is...I'm glad he got caught....

Des

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I think it is a pocket dial issue.

Apparently Karma is not on his side.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I know they can listen, pretty much any time they want.
But I'm going to say this idiot just pocket dialed.

My hubby works construction and it happens all the time. It gets pretty boring after a while of listening to a bunch of guys trying to figure out what to do for lunch.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   

I guess I will be the one to be on the drug dealers side here.......There is no way, absolutely no way that the drug dealer even had 911 on his phone to pocket dial them.....NO WAY!!

Drug dealers won't call the fuzz if they just got shot at home, hospital maybe, but cops......NOT A CHANCE IN HELL!!!

So I think this is a new form of blaming a phone on a call to get people arrested.....I smell a GIANT CONSPIRACY here!

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein

I guess I will be the one to be on the drug dealers side here.......There is no way, absolutely no way that the drug dealer even had 911 on his phone to pocket dial them.....NO WAY!!

Drug dealers won't call the fuzz if they just got shot at home, hospital maybe, but cops......NOT A CHANCE IN HELL!!!

So I think this is a new form of blaming a phone on a call to get people arrested.....I smell a GIANT CONSPIRACY here!

And...you know this to be fact...how....

This is nothing more than wishful thinking on your part...jmoho..Plus, the idiot shouldn't have been dealing drugs.

Des

edit on 31-1-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I had a friend a few years ago pocket dial me. It was like a 15 minute voice mail about him really wanting fried chicken, lol. Mmmmmm....fried chicken!

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

Some phones already have it pre programed. Mine does.
New years eve my phone went crazy. I took it to the store, and while the guy was trying to fix it, it called 911.
It can happen.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Apparently you have never been friends with a dealer, I unfortunately have been with a couple. No I didn't buy anything from them, but I was friends with them.

They do not want the law anywhere near them at anytime for any reason......That is fact!

Sorry you can't research it online and find a wiki page on drug dealers and their thoughts on police, but use your head....If you are doing illegal acts, would you want 911 on your phone for any reason? NOPE....

Sorry you don't believe me, but it is a fact guaranteed if you ask any dealer they will tell you the same......

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

Some phones already have it pre programed. Mine does.
New years eve my phone went crazy. I took it to the store, and while the guy was trying to fix it, it called 911.
It can happen.

This would make much more sense! Like I said, there is no way that number was on his phone......UNLESS it was pre programmed, that makes sense....

I still smell a conspiracy unfortunately.....

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
A friend of mine speed-dialed my number by accident while he was asleep. I ended up getting 15 minutes of snoring and G.I. Joe playing on T.V. in the background on my answering machine.
edit on 31-1-2013 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
The guy was arrested based on a conversation they overheard?
I think the poor bastard needs to find a decent lawyer and sue the hell out the arresting officer. A conversation they overheard isn't evidence, it's heresay, and a damned dangerous precedent to be setting in law enforcement. They start rounding up and arresting people based on heresay, we've got serious issues ahead. Mother-in-laws, ex's, disgruntled employees, former tennants, cons... if this kinda crap stands, they just got weaponized.
I highly doubt the man's asscheek dialed three consecutive numbers to begin with, yeah it might have been speed dial or preprogrammed into the phone, but that seems hokey at best.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I once got a call from a friend, she said what is it???...she seemed pissed a bit! I say what?!?..nothing,

Then STOP TEXTING ME BLANK MESSAGES! I had texted her 28 times in 5 minutes....My phone was in its case. Never figured it out

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

Although I do agree with your statement about hearsay, I also must agree with Des as well....he should not have been selling this stuff in the first place, when you break the law, your playing with fire....when you play with fire, you end up getting burned.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I really do not think there is a GIGANTIC CONSPIRACY (OMG OMG OMG !!1!!!1!!!!!!!) in this event.

As pointed out, some phones already have it programmed in there, and it is quite easy to pocket dial if you have an older phone with actual buttons. Even with a smart phone with touch screen, you could still be on the number pad screen and manage to pocket dial 911 pretty easily.

Again, no GIGANTIC CONSPIRACY (OMG OMG OMG !!1!!!1!!!!!!!) in this case imo.

Edit: I have to admit it was pretty convenient for the police
edit on 31-1-2013 by Jeedawg because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Teye22

I just can't buy into that 'nothing to hide, nothing to worry about' mentality. I've got plenty of things to hide, chief amungst them is my privacy and this IMO is right on the edge of the basic fundamental concepts of unlawful search and seizure. This guy was apparently arrested for something that was 'overheard' in a private setting, that's dangerous as hell, drug dealer or not.
What are the odds that this guy's phone actually dialed 911? That's paramount to find out with all the recent information comming to light about cell phone monitoring capabilities... If they are able to simply switch your phone on and listen as I suspect they have been for a long time now, then people need to realize how far things have gone down the toliet.

Fox News
...911 dispatchers pinpointed the cell phone's location and sent deputies to investigate.

Am I seriously the only one here utterly creeped out by that? I bet folks would change their tune when it was their spouse or parent doing this.

edit on 31-1-2013 by twitchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

As I said, I do agree with you, it IS an invasion of privacy if THEY turned his phone on (wich I really doubt) but if he had 911 on speed dial or programmed in his phone and it did in fact call 911 on its own (I mean the phone of course), then he was cought doing an illegal transaction....it sucks to be him but he got busted. No one violated his rights if HE called them...right?!?

Is it hearsay? probably, more than likely, but THAT will be up to the Judge/ Jury.

Its no different than if he were cought by a security camera during a drug trade. Even if he said "I didn't know I was being filmed!" , it will not save him from the law. He took a big risk getting into this line of work and he was aware of the consequences if he got caught...

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Teye22
Its no different than if he were cought by a security camera during a drug trade.

That's where I will have to respectfully disagree with you, it's alot different IMO. As far as I know, your vehicle is still private property, not a public venue. You don't have a reasonable expectation of privacy in a public venue, but it seems to me that in your vehicle and or on your phone, you absolutely should. It's something that will eventually be decided through the Judiciary, but the trend is ever leaning towards invasive.
I wish the article had more information on what kind of phone it was, I just don't buy that a phone pocket dials 911 but stranger things have happened. Would be interesting to talk to this guy and find out for sure though.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Since he was a tow truck driver is there any chance he butt dialed the last # that called?

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
daytonamugshots.com...

$250.00 dollar bond, hell I'd just about pay that to see if the guy had 911 on speed dial or not. Even if he did, I don't think this would get past a probable cause hearing if the guy has a lawyer who isn't on the public payroll. If heresay is probable cause now, it's time to think seriously about expat.
edit on 31-1-2013 by twitchy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join