It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Einstein on UFOs.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Considering one of the main elements to objective science is said to be curiosity and Albert Einstein is considered to be one of the last century's most illustrious scientists, I wonder what folks make of his statement below about the UFO subject.

Albert Einstein.

Only once is it known for certain that Albert Einstein spoke directly about UFOs. In the St. Louis Post Dispatch, AP Item, 7/30/52 it is reported that Einstein wrote evangelist Louis Gardner (in reply to Gardner’s query about UFOs).

"These people have seen something - What it is I do not know and am not curious to know".

Albert Einstein, Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton, New Jersey (reply letter to Californian Minister, July 23rd, 1952)

link

I'd imagine the statement was made in relation to the Washington D.C. UFO flyovers which were occurring at the time (July 12th to July 29th) as the quote appears in a 1952 newspaper article about the sightings below, it also pops up in this publication of the Major Donald Keyhoe archives (along with a great interview with Jan Aldrich) and there's also an alleged photograph of the letter.

It seems quite a mystery to me why the great man himself would indulge in such willful ignorance about the UFO topic (as he also once said that 'the most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious') but could this kind of 'head in the sand' mindset be more prevalent in the scientific community than we like to think?

Newspaper Article:

St. Louis Post Dispatch (top right).

Full

Letter?

UFO LETTER ALBERT EINSTEIN VINTAGE 1952 FILE PHOTO

This is a vintage press photo from 1952 regarding a letter sent by Albert Einstein in response to an enquiry about flying saucers by Rev. Louis A.Gardner. The photograph has the Reverend on the left side and Einstein's letter on the right. I'd not previously seen this photo, but was aware of the correspondence.

link

Incidently it also states in this thread about the 1952 Washington Flyover case that the U.S. Government, the CIA, Project Bluebook, the U.S. Weather Bureau and the Washington radar operators all seemingly rejected the 'temperature inversion' theory mentioned in the newspaper article above (which was, in reality, just an off the cuff remark by Captain Roy James).

It's said the sightings caused 'the biggest press conference to be convened since the end of WW2' and there's a great analysis of the events described here (around 28:05) for those who are interested.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Einstein was no fool, his fav comment is in my signature and just about sums it up..

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I think Einstein knew that the government had things back then that could have been construed as UFO's. Why else would he have said he was not curious about it unless he had some inside info as to what it was. I would say that he would have known about the government's top secret projects myself. I'm sure that he was kept in the loop about them to give a little advice if needed.

I'm sure he was kept in the loop at Boeing and Lockheed also, After all, they were the big government contractors then also.
edit on 31-1-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Thanks for the amazingly quick reply, hopefully you'll find time at some point to look through the links.

He may have been nobody's fool and I've got lots of respect for the chap but when it comes to his statement on the UFO subject do you not think it shows complete disregard for true, open minded scepticism?

Here's another apt quote from Herbert Spencer:

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-- that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

Herbert Spencer, British philosopher

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
From Timeless Earth, by Peter Kolosimo, p. 194

Einstein, for instance, believed in a plurality of inhabited worlds, and is said to have maintained that the navigators of "flying saucers" are human beings who left earth 20,000 years ago and return to see how their descendants are getting on.

Of course, that means there could be flying saucers that don't have to break Einstein's speed limit to get here. Cute.

And my previous comment that the Greys could be asteroid-mining androids developed by a previous high-tech human civilization knocked back to the Stones Age tens of thousands of years ago by some natural disaster or war is a ripoff of the Einstein thing above.

edit on 31-1-2013 by xpoq47 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I was hoping for a more substantial reply from Albert...

This looks like a "get off my back you lunatic" type letter...

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
This is interesting but I don't think we can read too much into such a short comment. The Washington '52 incident was very big at the time.
If we take into account the great man's high profile and fame perhaps he felt it was not his place to comment on this issue and he wanted to stay out of it. Maybe he felt it was not a good thing for him to get involved with which I think is understandable. Having said that it still seems like a slightly strange comment and very short.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Unless he had looked into it and found nothing of substance. Dont forget he was the go to guy for just about anything unexplained back in the day. Im sure he was consulted on the matter at one time or another.

Quite simply i think he was the cleverest person who ever lived.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Seems a bit out of character for Al E.

He even entertained Reich's Orgone energy ideas for a short while.

Einstein and Reich

Maybe he didn't want to be drawn into such a controversial subject in the science community. Maybe he already knew something

Maybe this rev bloke was a bit of an idiot, and Albert was just being short to stop the bloke pestering him?

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
If is anything im sure of, its that Albert Einstein must have been fascinated with the physics side of the controversy.............whether he wanted to share or not is another story........

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpoq47
From Timeless Earth, by Peter Kolosimo, p. 194

Einstein, for instance, believed in a plurality of inhabited worlds, and is said to have maintained that the navigators of "flying saucers" are human beings who left earth 20,000 years ago and return to see how their descendants are getting on.

Xpoq47, I've actually got that book somewhere
-do you know if there are any sources in it for that quote?

Here's another statement from Frank Edwards about Einstein advising President Truman not to shoot down the UFOs involved in the Washington Flyovers, apparently Grant Cameron has looked in the Truman archives for substantiating documents or phone records but not come up with anything so it has to taken at face value.

Frank Edwards 1956 Lecture Segment

In a lecture given to a Detroit audience in 1956, Edwards made statements about Einstein that he believed to be true based upon his sources and his understanding of historical circumstance. And these statements are nothing short of remarkable. Edwards maintained that just four years before, in 1952, Albert Einstein had delivered an urgent message to then President of the United States Harry Truman. Einstein was joined by other prominent scientists of the day in warning that Truman’s “shoot down” policy of UFOs over DC was unwise.

Our speaker tonight...Frank Edwards

Also found it interesting that Einstein maintained 'a long-standing and close relationship' with Samuel Goudsmit who was a key member of the CIA sponsered Robertson Panel (he was put there by the CIA’ s Director of Scientific Intelligence who wrote this in the same year) -there may be no connection but here's a picture of Albert with the head of the project.

Howard Percy Robertson (far left)

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Einstein was an alien

according to the recent Ancient aliens episode!

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Im having a hard time finding this letter than Einstein wrote. I can find that quote on just about every UFO board but not the actual letter it was taken from. Anyone have a link?

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Einstein knew and had to fend off the topic.
What about Einstein's meeting with William Reich after Reich seeing a saucer.
Einstein didn't tell Reich anything either.
Einstein was denied the electrical force threshold over matter by the academia
that did not want ether theory to progress. UFOs or saucer craft using the
electrical force over matter for propulsion just about defies all known equations.
ED: Yeah sure; posted above:
en.wikipedia.org...

In December 1940 Reich wrote to Albert Einstein (1879–1955) saying he had a scientific discovery he wanted to discuss, and in January 1941 visited Einstein at his home in Princeton, where they talked for nearly five hours. He told Einstein that he had discovered a "specific biologically effective energy which behaves in many respects differently to all that is known about electromagnetic energy."

As usual we have no details on the net of Reich's saucer sighting.
ED+:Well there is:
projectcamelot.org...
Perhaps not the one I am familiar with.
Found in a link among:
www.google.com...
Well you got my views anyway.

edit on 1/31/2013 by TeslaandLyne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
You aren't curious about what you are already bored with.

----

EDIT: Look at what he *actually* has said, not what we might infer based on what we think we would have most likely meant. Especially if he wishes to retain his integrity of being honest while still evading revealing unasked for details.

How "curious" are you about cars being on the road? (Unless you are a car buff). In particular... regional delivery trucks? See?

All he has actually said is 1) They saw *something* (he is confident) 2) he isn't sure what (don't know if it was a 747 or a ww1 biplane or a saucer) 3) he's not curious (there is nothing of interest there to him).

This is what allows us to be manipulated so easily because we are conditioned to hear certain things and fill in so many blanks that aren't justified.

Consider: You are quite familiar with UFOs. You are as familiar with them as a biologist might be familiar with species of fish. Someone with no understanding of fish walks past a pond and says they saw some fish in it and tells the biologist about it. The biologist is confident the random person saw something (as they have seen the fish in the pond too), certain they don't know exactly what it was (because they weren't there and there are more than one kind), but aren't that curious because there is no reason to think what was seen was special relative to every other pond/day with fish (UFOs) in it.

We don't hear what people really say (especially public figures) we hear what we want to hear them to say.

It doesn't mean he *was* in support of them either, but we can only truly take him at what he has actually said and have to consider other more "veiled" methods of speaking honestly but knowing full well most people wouldn't understand his full message while those who do would also "understand already".

Especially given his genius and him knowing people at multiple levels of understanding and awareness are going to read his words.
edit on 31-1-2013 by ErgoTheConclusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

I don't know of anything to substantiate what Peter Kolosimo wrote. I don't have the book. And I knew about what Frank Edwards said, because he mentioned it in a book, as well, but I didn't have a quote to post, and proving it is out of the question.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Perhaps he distanced himself a bit because he didn't want to get involved with another Manhattan type project. I mean, we know he regretted his participation in that one. And honestly, one of those vehicles being used for war would be an even bigger deal than the atomic bomb.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
How is it that you answer a question that you've already answered in secret..?

It is my opinion that Mr. Einstein is evading the question.

After studying with/under and about Nikola Tesla, Einstein knew the theory
of Tesla's "Flying Stove Pipe" and equated UFO's to a sensored version of Tesla's
design being flown by the American Military.
Just my oppinion.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I believe you alls instincts are correct as the folks investigating and researching would have made him a go to source for plausible answers and it was a monkey on the back question that even he might not have understood well since the material sciences were poorly understood then in general.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
EINSTEIN WAS PART OF THE COVER-UP.

Have you guys not read your own book?

INTERPLANETARY PHENOMENON UNIT

"In a memo to General George C. Marshall, from President FDR (2/27/42), just a few days after the incident in LA, the President directs Marshall to proceed with plans regarding "atomic secrets learned from the study of celestial devices". He authorizes Dr. Bush (Vannevar Bush is the assumption) to proceed with the project. (This is NOT the Manhattan Project, which had started earlier and also due to Vannavar's push for it (1939).

It would appear from this memo, if genuine, that a craft was indeed recovered, and some things had been learned from examining it. This memo has a high rating on the authenticity scale.

A week later, George Marshall writes a memo to FDR (3/5/42) where he requests that a special group be set up to study the material and phenomenon. By now, it is confirmed to not be of a foreign power or of Earthly origin. This memo is believed to be the order that establishes the precursor to Majestic. It is called the IPU (Interplanetary Phenomenon Unit). It must be remembered that at this time, the terms "flying saucer" or even "UFO" had not been coined, and the references to "celestial" or "interplanetary" are consistent with the period. In addition, official inquiries via the Freedom of Information Act for information regarding the IPU do confirm that such a unit existed. When CUFON (Computer UFO Network) tried to request through FOIA (Freedom of Information Act), this was the official response:

"Please be advised that the Interplanetary Phenomenon Unit of the Scientific and Technical Branch, Counter Intelligence Directorate, Department of the Army, was disestablished during the late 1950's and never reactivated. All records pertaining to this unit were surrendered to the U.S. Air Force Office of Special Investigations (AFOSI) in conjunction with operation "Bluebook".

We regret that we are unable to be of more assistance concerning this matter."

Two years later (1944), another committee in addition to the IPU, are called out as the Special Committee on Non-terrestrial Science and Technology, in a memo from FDR to the group. In this memo, FDR basically states that due to the cost of the atomic bomb program, and the urgency to win the war, further "exploratory research" will have to wait. For the document, the classification of "double top secret" is a little known one, but is a legitimate one.

Three years later (1947) and only a month before the Roswell Incident, there is the Oppenheimer - Einstein Draft. This letter goes into the social ramifications of the alien problem, defense implications, and the legal predicament.

Einstein and Oppenheimer. According to the documentation, these two luminaries were involved in investigating the artifacts at least on a consultation basis. Of course, their inclusion makes perfect logical sense; given their existing security clearance and secrecy for the other projects they were involved with...namely, the atomic bomb.

Roswell was a major change in the game. On July 4, 1947, there is an IPU field order to send a team to the Roswell crash disk (not Brazel's field).

The next day (7/5/47), Bush writes President Truman. This memo points out the need for a joint body to implement the recommendations of the different committees that sprung out of the IPU. This is believed to be the suggestion that later provided the basis for the Majestic 12.

~ from the book
Above Top Secret

"just a few days after the incident in LA, the President directs Marshall to proceed with plans regarding "atomic secrets learned from the study of celestial devices"

This makes it sound as if there was a disk recovered from the "battle" in LA and that no disk was recovered from Missouri in April 1941.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join