It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7 Year old boy handcuffed and interrogated for 10 hours over $5?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I did a search and found nothing on this story, mods delete if I missed it or move it to where you see fit. Thanks!

I just read a most disturbing news story on Yahoo I wanted to share. This boy apparently found $5 in front of him fall onto the floor, there was a fight and police were called. The police handcuffed the boy and took him to the station for interrogation for 10 HOURS!!!

The family of course is suing the NYPD for $250 million.......Probably a little more than I would try for
but I would persue this venture also.....Uncalled for once and yet again with the police...

What do you think ATS?? Link below

gma.yahoo.com...

The family of a 7-year-old New York boy is suing police and the city for $250 million, saying cops handcuffed and interrogated the boy for ten hours after a scuffle over lunch money at school.

Wilson Reyes, a student at Public School 114 in the Bronx reportedly got into a fight with a fellow student in December after he was accused of taking $5 of lunch money that had fallen on the ground in front of him. Responding to a complaint of assault and robbery, the police were called and took the boy to the local police precinct where officers allegedly handcuffed and interrogated him for ten hours, according to the lawsuit.

"Imagine how I felt seeing my son in handcuffs," Wilson's mother, Frances Mendez, told the New York Post. "It was horrible. I couldn't believe what I was seeing," she said.

edit on 1/31/2013 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/31/2013 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

wow...the blue boys are earning their pay.

Handcuff and interrogate a 7-year old ???? Must be some super strong and crazy child.

Anyway...isn't that illegal? Interrogate a child without the presence of his parents?

250 mil...sounds much, yet...could be a pretty decent slap on the wrist for the future "law enforcement" officers...to think twice before making idiots of themselves.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Another glorious triumph of the state.

Hooray!

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
what do we do.. how do we control those who control us.

seriously, it's beyond a joke. I don't even care if there are extenuating circumstances that make this ok in someone's eyes.

$5 dollars.

7 year old boy.

a lifetime of WTF???

There *HAS* to be a breaking point for all of this. It's like a hangover that is relentless in it's suffering. Constantly waking up to realise Yep, thats whats happened. And no matter how much you try to get back to normal, you wake up once more to realise all that time you spent living, was a dream, and you're still sick as a dog.

This is NOT how it is supposed to be. What the hell happened...

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Another glorious triumph of the state.

Hooray!

I bet they played good cop bad cop routine.

The boy probably cracked

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
the kid is a creep. he knows the $5 wasn't his

but in no way shape or form should he have been cuffed. that's insane

a call to the parents and detention or something along those lines

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Looks like a hardend criminal to me.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
OK people, it's time to be honest with yourselves.

You have cops and their superiors who think it is ok to detain and interrogate a 7-year old for 10 hours without his parents... Over $5...

But you think these people won't turn against the common populace if told to do so?

Again, if they don't care about how they treat a 7-year old... You think they are going to care how they treat us when they are told we are the enemy?

Time to stop living in your fantasy worlds people. This country has turned into the very tyrannical state that it was founded to ensure against.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
If the kid would have given the money back to the other kid than none of this would have happened. The kid needs to learn to be honest. This lawsuit is not creating a positive influence on our society, the kid did something wrong. You don't take something that is not yours. I guess the kids parents are the same way, they are taking taxpayers money because someone tried to restrain their kid for doing something wrong. I feel that the kid saw the money fall or knew where it came from. If another kid was looking for his money he should have returned it.

I was in the grocery store one day and a woman pulled her wallet out of her purse and I saw a dollar bill fall out. I picked it up and told her that it was hers, it had fallen out of her purse. She said it wasn't hers and looked away. I had to tap on her again and say I saw it fall out of her purse, it was definitely hers. She took it from me like I was saying she should watch so she doesn't litter, I told her I might have kept a dollar if I found it on the floor and didn't see where it came from. I had the feeling she thought I was crazy for giving her her money back. What a weird society we have created where honesty is looked down on.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

So, I got thrown in jail when I took my mom's pennies.

Maybe he learned his lesson now.

I know I did.

edit on 31-1-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

I couldn't agree more......This stuff just makes me sick, I don't care if the kid beat up a kid and stole $5, to handcuff and take him to the station for interrogation for 10 hours without his parents is completely unimaginable!

If this happened to my kid, I would be pretty fired up also, the kid is 7 years old....

Yes you have to teach your kid the proper values, but he is only 7.....Most kids see $5 and go crazy.....

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
"Imagine how I felt seeing my son in handcuffs"

You felt like you could turn it into $250 million.

This was posted on another site...but it made me laugh.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
the kid is a creep. he knows the $5 wasn't his

but in no way shape or form should he have been cuffed. that's insane

a call to the parents and detention or something along those lines

WTF do you mean ''the kid is a creep''? He's only 7, and you don't even KNOW what happened.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
If the kid would have given the money back to the other kid than none of this would have happened. The kid needs to learn to be honest. This lawsuit is not creating a positive influence on our society, the kid did something wrong. You don't take something that is not yours. I guess the kids parents are the same way, they are taking taxpayers money because someone tried to restrain their kid for doing something wrong. I feel that the kid saw the money fall or knew where it came from. If another kid was looking for his money he should have returned it.

I was in the grocery store one day and a woman pulled her wallet out of her purse and I saw a dollar bill fall out. I picked it up and told her that it was hers, it had fallen out of her purse. She said it wasn't hers and looked away. I had to tap on her again and say I saw it fall out of her purse, it was definitely hers. She took it from me like I was saying she should watch so she doesn't litter, I told her I might have kept a dollar if I found it on the floor and didn't see where it came from. I had the feeling she thought I was crazy for giving her her money back. What a weird society we have created where honesty is looked down on.

I agree that the kid should be punished in some way, but not in any way by law enforcement, in handcuffs, interrogated for 10 hours. That's ridiculous. They should have just called his parents, and let them deal with it.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
what do we do.. how do we control those who control us.

seriously, it's beyond a joke. I don't even care if there are extenuating circumstances that make this ok in someone's eyes.

$5 dollars.

7 year old boy.

a lifetime of WTF???

There *HAS* to be a breaking point for all of this. It's like a hangover that is relentless in it's suffering. Constantly waking up to realise Yep, thats whats happened. And no matter how much you try to get back to normal, you wake up once more to realise all that time you spent living, was a dream, and you're still sick as a dog.

This is NOT how it is supposed to be. What the hell happened...

Damn, you just described my exact thoughts every morning as I'm waking up. It's really depressing.

Honestly I don't think $250 million is too much. Something has to happen to make these morons in blue remember what their duty is. Otherwise we are just going to sit here and witness the continued escalation in the abuses we as citizens suffer at their hands. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm near the very end of my patience with the whole thing. Not just the police, but with the entire exploitative system they play a major role in perpetuating.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

If another kid was looking for his money he should have returned it.

I totally agree with you, he should have returned it. What I don't agree with is that the police took this child to the station, handcuffed him, interogated him then called his parents. His rights as a minor were violated. That is the point here. My children are grown now, but had they been in this situation you can bet all hell would have broke out and I would have been leading it.

The school passed the buck when they called the police instead of the parent. The parent was never given the chance to deal with the matter. No one knows how the mother would have dealt with this and to assume that she wouldn't have or it would have been to no avail because the absent from infancy father was in jail is an assumption no one should make. This child's behavior was not out of the ordinary. I'm not excusing it, but come on, he's 7. Hell at that age I went into my mothers pocketbook and took a dime and lied and said I didn't. Should I have been taken by the police and handcuffed?

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2manyholes

If another kid was looking for his money he should have returned it.

I totally agree with you, he should have returned it. What I don't agree with is that the police took this child to the station, handcuffed him, interogated him then called his parents. His rights as a minor were violated. That is the point here. My children are grown now, but had they been in this situation you can bet all hell would have broke out and I would have been leading it.

The school passed the buck when they called the police instead of the parent. The parent was never given the chance to deal with the matter. No one knows how the mother would have dealt with this and to assume that she wouldn't have or it would have been to no avail because the absent from infancy father was in jail is an assumption no one should make. This child's behavior was not out of the ordinary. I'm not excusing it, but come on, he's 7. Hell at that age I went into my mothers pocketbook and took a dime and lied and said I didn't. Should I have been taken by the police and handcuffed?

I don't agree with the handcuffs but I do not know how the kid was acting either. He may have been extremely violent as far as I know, I can't see the cops putting the cuffs on a kid that is mellow.

Why did the school call the cops on this in the first place? We don't know all the facts so it is hard to say. When I was in school we would have been sent to the principal's office and our parents called. If there was violence involved the police would have just come to the school and talked to the parents. This whole thing sounds like a big mess.

I was at Bonanza and my daughter and her friend called 911 from the payphone in the entry as we were paying the bill. The police called the restaurant and told us to stay there. The cop came and said we had to bring the girls to the state police post so they could see what 911 was all about. I thought that was a great idea to teach the girls. I told the cop to cuff the girls and haul them in the back of his car. He laughed and said that isn't necessary so we hauled them to the cop shop. I asked the deputy what the rings were in the waiting area and he said they were for handcuffing criminals to while waiting. I again mentioned to handcuff the girls to the rings. He laughed and said the handcuffs wouldn't even go small enough for a small kid, they could just slip their hands out. What a couple of crybabies the girls were when I was telling the cops to handcuff them. Neither girl got in trouble after that day, they learned a lesson.

My reason for the last paragraph is......How did those handcuffs fit that kid if they don't go that small

edit on 31-1-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I don't care what this child did. Short of going on a murderous rampage, Nothing warrants the police handcuffing and interrogating a minor for ten minutes, let alone ten hours. And to have happened without a parent present, you would hope one of the officers would say, "Hang on a minute, why have we not contacted the parent.

To those above with excuses for the police and their actions.
Ignorant Muppet's.

The only shame here, is no matter what the settlement is (and i hope they get it all) - None of the officers involved will be financially punished, so they wont learn a damn thing.

NO-ONE should be defending these nazi's actions.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Except he's 7, and I think people should check out the primary kids at the schools, just for a reminder of why they're still little, and children.

And he's not a creep either, though maybe a little mean, but I have 5 boys, and have had endless kids over and sleepovers. And easily can see a kid thinking, finders keepers, without any maturity, some take ages to learn to give and start to think of others, and they're all still angels. It takes constant adults intervening, stopping fights between boys, even their best friends, and telling them that they have to look for everyone else, and that if someone finds something, someone else has lost it.

Its a process of helping them grow up.

It also takes time. Some kids, like my oldest, learn it quickly. Plus they didn't fight.

Some kids, learn slowly, with learning disabilties and it takes repeating the steps, 1, 2 , 3. As long as you deal with it in a mature, non judgmental way, and keep the learning lesson intact with respect for all of them, they all grow up with love in their hearts, as I am a witness to, despite some really out of control behavior that some boys can do.

But if you instill police state rules, and fear and all of that, they don't learn the right stuff, they just learn fear and control.

Thats a bad lesson for little boys. Some of them grow up to be obedient slaves, cowed under authority. Some of them grow up to be resistance. BUT on the other hand, some of them learn in a system of control, if you want power you have to join the dark side.

AND THAT IS WHY THEY ARE DOING THIS.

He wasn't a creep, just a typical boy from my experiences and the proper handling was required, and not just once, for some its consistency that counts. But Love and positive firm interaction.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Weather the kid was in the wrong or not, what the cops did is completely unjustifiable. If i was that kids dad I would make it my mission to get special one on one time with the pigs that were responsible for this. Give'm some doughnuts to go along with their teeth
we should all flood the nypd with e mails of outrage.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join