It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea Imposes Martial Law Ahead of Nuclear Test

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I am quite sure that Western intelligence has been all over this for a while now, attempting to do what they can to work their way in and sabotage NK's nuclear program, damaging it as much as possible. However, the problem in NK is the same that was faced during the Vietnam War...It is virtually impossible to get agents into a country like that, and this is a part of why martial law was declared. But I do not think martial law is all that different from everyday life in NK. Have you guys ever watched the documentaries where people sneak hidden cameras into the country? It is bad there, even in the capital city, where the standard of living is much higher.

That is the only city with power to my knowledge, and the only one with any infrastructure. Sabotaging NK would not be difficult at all, if agents could penetrate NK's "iron curtain." I stand for the sovereignty of any nation on the globe, but the recent threats by North Korea, in my opinion, constitute probable cause for military action. In this case a military strike would be justified, because NK has a relatively modern, and large, military, unlike Afghanistan or Iraq II. I think that the government probably agrees with me, but they know that a strike against even NK's nuclear facilities would likely stir up crap with both China and NK, which would leave the US who knows where...

I do not think a war with NK alone would be all that bad in this day and age, but with a nation like China, it is going to be Vietnam all over again, times 3 because of the Chinese technical capabilities. I have studied the missile systems, as well as the defense shields to protect against missiles, for all major countries of the world, and I will say that I would much prefer the US' defense capabilities to China's...The US can defend against incoming ballistic missiles, but only to a certain extent. If the number of missiles is too great, the system will be overloaded so to speak, but I do not know if China has the capability to launch a strike that large.

The major advantage that the US would have against NK and China both is air superiority, unless the US has gone off and sold some of the new generation fighter jets, which wouldn't surprise me. But the one thing that would be different about a war with China that has never been seen before, is that the war would come to American soil for the first time. Troops may not, but missiles will at some point. But with the number of people China has at its disposal, they very well can simply replace lost manpower. Doing this in one's own country hurts the invader even more.

This was seen at the battle of Borodino/Moscow, where Napoleon broke the Russian army, which did not matter since there were so many fighters still available and being trained, so that a new army was raised quickly. America can field a large army, but not on the same scale as the Chinese, or even the NK for that matter. Let us hope it does not come to war, but with NK's blathering threats, it very well may.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Why isn't anyone seeing the larger sum of this situation? We're about to go through a forced labor camp situation ourselves and be starved out of our own food. I suppose some would say I should post the facts but know if one has lived in darkness his entirety the light will only force him to squint out of pain or keep his eyes closed. There are numerous indicators that our country is going to end up coddled in some foreign interest's steel grip.

edit on 1-2-2013 by UnchainedFreeman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I wonder how a backwards country like North Korea was able to develop a nuke, and then develop a the ability to launch into space. Some here say that China is nervous about North Korea, But IMO China is helping North Korea to develop nukes and missiles.

If there is a war in the region, sparked by North Korea firing nukes, China will have the most to gain because they won't be the target of North Korea, and China will have an opportunity to expand. Say, a nuke hits South Korea, Japan or the US, three enemies of China and believe me I use the word enemies because China is not our friend or ally. China would not be a target for our retaliation and China would have the "moral" authority to invade North Korea and proclaim it a province or territory similar to the eastern block countries after WWII. China has to be stealthy because they still want us to buy their junk.

China has expansionist goals, and the global elite are pushing for China because they like the Chinese system of authoritarian control, no environmental control and no individual or worker rights. Our leaders are willfully blind to this and are selling us out.
edit on 1-2-2013 by dieseldyk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by dieseldyk

Some of the debris from the launch of their satellite was recovered, and appears to have similarities to Iranian rockets. There has been some transfer between North Korea and Iran in the past.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

I am for getting aid in and helping them out but I also have reservations about doing it. The major thing I can see happening is that if the outside nations do supply help, the regime may hide how/why/where the aid is from and may claim that their military might is what brought it on and so they will use our kindness to further whatever agenda they have going on.
WIth that said, if we are allowed to give aid, we ought to be able to send in flyers outlining the countries that have "volunteered" to assist the starving people and why.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
And if the populace had weapons to defend themselves.... could they be killed imprisoned and tortured like this?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Plotus

This is not a debate about gun control. They do not have weapons, so lets discuss things they can actually do.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by evc1shop

The only way that the aid will get to the people, is if we take it to each city and village directly. If it goes through Pyongyang, it will disappear long before it gets to the people. There's a reason why all the leadership is fat and well fed looking, and Pyongyang has lights and very few other places do.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

The question is, how do we get aid straight to the people, whilst the North Korean government is still in charge? As there is no real way, do we just stand by and watch millions of Koreans die?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

It's that, or we restart a war, and kill possibly millions, to try to save the North Korean people. There is no way that the NK gov't will allow foreigners into the country to distribute aid. They might tell people what the rest of the world is really like, instead of the sterilized version that the NK people get now.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I totally agree witih you there. The logistics of getting the goods to thses places would be intersting to see unfold. The other problem I have with supplying aid is that at some point our efforts will need to stop... what happens then when you have managed to facilitate hope in all of these suffering humans and then it gets cut off again.
There would have to be conditions on the aid effort that soem sort of training goes with the food packages, maybe send some seeds and teach them to grow things. I am not sure how many of the people there are farmers or if they just aren't allowed to grow crops or what so excuse me if this seems like an ignorant idead, thanks.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by evc1shop

Not ignorant at all. In fact it's a good idea. Give them the tools they need, the seeds required, and let them start growing their own food. Give them a starter herd of cattle or whatever other animals, and tell them the aid will come for x amount of time, and give them enough to let them get a good start.

I've heard different things on the status of them growing food out in the countryside, and it's really hard to get good information, so I'm not really sure myself.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Does anyone know China's stance on North Korea? I mean, in regards to N.Korea/Chinese political relations? I'm just wondering why China hasn't acted on that tiny Country yet. I guess I could ask the same about Russia.

Lima-1, out.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
reply to post by Mizzijr

Yes it is crazy isn't it, their people are so hungry that some of them have been eating their own children (seriously Link) yet the leader of the nation is a chubby git and is spending every spare dime on creating a nuclear bomb. This shows how much the North Korean leaders actually think about their people. This is one country I would condone the US/NATO military blowing their regime to smitherines, yet it is much less likely to happen as there is very little for the West to gain and North Korea would not exactly be a walk in the Park like Iraq was.

Yeah, let's condemn north Korea for their people starving......Since there are no people in AmeriKa starving, riggggghhhttttttt.....

What's really the difference? A government that could care less about it's people? CHECK
A government hungry for power? CHECK
A government forcing people to buy what they are selling? CHECK
A government that could care less about jobs and debt and more about citizens arming themselves? CHECK

Give me a difference between the two.....

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

I do not think people simply want to condemn them for their starving. I think folks are saying it should merit some sort of action from countries that can and are willing to help, military would be a last resort.
If you want to just let a population vanish due to a political boundary then you aren't seeing what our country has, something you may have overlooked, compassion. We may not have a nation devoid of hungry, starving, poor people ourselves but we certainly have a lot lees opposition from our government when it comes to our abiities to reach out. Nobody is going to shut downa soup kitchen if I open one. Nobody is going to arrrest me for offering a sandwich to a hungry panhandler. That's what makes us different, a freedom to act upon our compassion and help those in need be it in our back yard or across the globe.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
well this is interesting www.kcna.co.jp... form the link

DPRK People Ready for All-out Action against U.S.
Pyongyang, January 31 (KCNA) -- The servicepersons and civilians in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea are hardening their will to turn out in an all-out action against the United States, which recently cooked up an anti-DPRK "resolution" over its peaceful satellite launch.

Song Kyong Hak, an officer of the Korean People's Army, told KCNA:

"We, servicepersons, are now filled with the fixed will to annihilate at once the hostile forces infringing upon the sovereignty of the country.

The powerful striking means of the Paektusan revolutionary army have already been in full readiness to shower fire of merciless punishment on the disgusting den of evils and show what a real war is like."
it seems to me there are ready to taste the blood of war not mater what !

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

This is so unsettling...I'd like to keep my "war" in BF3 or MW3.. just saying.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

The photo of this child stopped me in my tracks, this is so sad. Something needs to be done.

]

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Man, it is easy to dislike a country (its government) because of policies they have, but you throw into it putting a firing squad on someone you had to eat their children to stay alive?! I mean we're not talking about some sick, twisted individual. These are people clinging onto life by less than a thread. How does a country afford to have ANY army/weapons?! This is the price. Where is the American hero's to save them? Must be no oil there...
How do the people of a civilized country sleep at night?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Hr2burn

There's also the regions most powerful military force sitting right over the border, and they intervened the first time. Who's to say they won't this time too if we go in. So do we sit and do nothing, but offer help and have it turned down? Or risk the entire Asian area turn into a war zone to feed some people. It's heartless, but it comes down to numbers. Risk millions to feed millions, or maintain the status quo, and offer aid and have it turned down.

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join