It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea Imposes Martial Law Ahead of Nuclear Test

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   
The Daily Telegraph has reported that North Korea has been placed into Martial Law and the shaft leading to the underground nuclear test site has been sealed in preperation for the Nuclear test.

In an emergency meeting of his top defence and security officials on Saturday, the North Korean leader issued a series of orders that included the conclusion of preparations for a new nuclear test, the Joongang Daily reported.
North Korean state media has also reported that Kim ordered his officials to take "effective, high-profile state measures."
While it has been anticipated that Pyongyang will go ahead with what will be the regime's third nuclear test, in spite of international pressure to refrain from doing so, analysts had predicted that the blast would be timed to coincide with the birthday on February 16 of Kim Jong-il, the former leader who died in late 2011, or the inauguration of the new government in South Korea nine days later.
The reports now suggest that the demonstration of North Korea's nuclear prowess is more imminent.
In March 1993, North Korea placed the nation under martial law shortly before it announced it was withdrawing from the Treaty in the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons. The regime also ordered its troops to be ready for war.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

My opinion on this issue is that it will raise tensions in the region to boiling point, the North Koreans have put their military on notice for war and they may well get their wish if they push ahead with this test as planned. The people in North Korea are starving to death, whilst their government spunks all their cash on their war machine. Having recently tested an Inter-Continental Balistic Missile and seemingly getting ever so closer to nuclear capable warheads, then it can only be a matter of time before the US sees North Korea as a direct threat and takes action.

This latest test and stance of North Korea is very worrying indeed.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

I seen this thread a few minutes ago and learned that N. Korea was a starving nation...

Guess I never knew because I seen these faces 100% of the time..and thought everybody else was a tad bit thinner..

But in reality.. everybody else is in despair..

Poor kids..

This changed my entire outlook on N. Korea. They are bullheaded and aggressive because they are hungry, not just hungry for food, but power and dominance. They yearn for a place of great importance in the world, especially with their sibling S. Korea thriving quite well being a tourist country and all I can understand why they're jealous. I don't know anything of how they got that way, but I'm definitely going to look into it.

This world is crazy.. I swear.

edit on 31-1-2013 by Mizzijr because: Jihad is upon you.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Mizzijr

Yes it is crazy isn't it, their people are so hungry that some of them have been eating their own children (seriously Link) yet the leader of the nation is a chubby git and is spending every spare dime on creating a nuclear bomb. This shows how much the North Korean leaders actually think about their people. This is one country I would condone the US/NATO military blowing their regime to smitherines, yet it is much less likely to happen as there is very little for the West to gain and North Korea would not exactly be a walk in the Park like Iraq was.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Bloody barbarians
with no ounce of hope have the populace,
ive always said they will be the spark of things to come
along with chinese backing

Then again what affect will it have on me? nowt at the moment

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I am not sure what they are trying to achieve by doing a Nuvlear team..Would it terrorize the world..what a Dumb leader he is who doesn't even know which is more important. Millions and millions of peoples are starving to death, he doesn't care that.

He only cares about what other countries would say.. He is a heartless man. If he wants he could ask other nations to help to stop the famine and quit the test.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

China appear to be distancing themselves from them at the moment. All we need is for Russia's support to wain and there will be a green light for a NATO regime change er obviously I meant the liberating of their peoples.

I understand that it is diffuclt to supply such an aggressive country with aide, whilst you are implementing UN sanctions, but can we really sit here and watch the population of almost an entire Country starve to death, just because we have disagreements with their government?

We should swallow our pride and get Aide in there NOW.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
A bit of a shameless bump*

I'd have thought that this topic might have attracted a little more debate than it has, due to its potential repercussions. This really does have the potential to be the ignition of a major conflict or even war in the region.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

They don't need permission. There is still a state of war between the North and South, and the US. There has been since the end of the Korean Conflict. There was never a formal treaty signed after the end of the fighting. Besides NATO would have nothing to do with it. NATO is the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, nothing to do with Korea. Korea is SEATO, but SEATO is a pathetic excuse for an organization.
edit on 1/31/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

The US is part of NATO and if Korea were to threaten the US then they could invoke the rest of NATO in the conflict, regardless of it being in the Pacific zone.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

No they can't. NATO protects member nations yes, but only up to the charter.

Article 5
The Parties agree that an armed attack against one or more of them in Europe or North America shall be considered an attack against them all and consequently they agree that, if such an armed attack occurs, each of them, in exercise of the right of individual or collective self-defence recognised by Article 51 of the Charter of the United Nations, will assist the Party or Parties so attacked by taking forthwith, individually and in concert with the other Parties, such action as it deems necessary, including the use of armed force, to restore and maintain the security of the North Atlantic area.
Any such armed attack and all measures taken as a result thereof shall immediately be reported to the Security Council. Such measures shall be terminated when the Security Council has taken the measures necessary to restore and maintain international peace and security .

www.nato.int...

They can ask allies to assist them, but they can't invoke the NATO charter and require assistance. They can act under the UN, as they did in the original conflict, but NATO, under their charter, will not get involved. North Korea doesn't have the ability to "threaten the US" currently. They may be able to hit Hawaii, but their missile technology is currently no threat to the US.
edit on 1/31/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by AncietSoul

I am not sure what they are trying to achieve by doing a Nuvlear team..Would it terrorize the world..what a Dumb leader he is who doesn't even know which is more important. Millions and millions of peoples are starving to death, he doesn't care that.

Are you talking about India,USA or North Korea?

The pot calling the kettle black..
edit on 1-2-2013 by muSSang because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Good luck to the people and government of North Korea. I am not a communist, nor do I usually support communist nations, but it pleases me to see a nation stick it to the US and it's empire. The surrounding nations (bar the PRC) are all client states of the US, with South Korea, Japan being under direct military occupation by the US Empire. North Korea has done well to survive this long.
edit on 1-2-2013 by BitingRogue because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by BitingRogue

They are not sticking it to the US or its "empire", they are sticking it to their own people. Did you not see the pictures posted above of some of its starving people.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l

They are not sticking it to the US or its "empire", they are sticking it to their own people. Did you not see the pictures posted above of some of its starving people.

Somewhere along the line you came to the conclusion that I care about their people. I don't. I only care about the US being shamed internationally.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Can you explain how North Korea are shaming the USA exactly? I do not think that the US is being shamed by them at all. You have a rather skewed belief and moral system if you don't mind me mentioning too, wanting to see a nationed scorned but at the same time not caring that millions of fellow human beings are starving to death. Remember Allah created all human beings and Allah commands that you give Charity to those in need, regardless of wether they are a believer or not as Allah is the only one who can make judgement on a person. But then again appearing to be a fanatic, you probably have a very skewed veiw of your own religion.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   

I am not saying North Korea is not bad, and that people should overthrow their government

But so should Americans overthrow their government.

US has killed 1 million people in the last 20 years, directly and indirectly,

and yet somehow, reading ATS, its as if all those victims deserved it

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Can you explain how North Korea are shaming the USA exactly? I do not think that the US is being shamed by them at all. You have a rather skewed belief and moral system if you don't mind me mentioning too, wanting to see a nationed scorned but at the same time not caring that millions of fellow human beings are starving to death. Remember Allah created all human beings and Allah commands that you give Charity to those in need, regardless of wether they are a believer or not as Allah is the only one who can make judgement on a person. But then again appearing to be a fanatic, you probably have a very skewed veiw of your own religion.

I do not believe in religion or gods.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by VigilantGirl

The USA and the UK has commited war Crimes in the past couple of decades that have gone totally unpunished and I agree with you there. But in the UK and the USA, the people tend to be relatively free to run their lives how they see fit, eat, have fresh drinking water, a roof over their heads in most cases and get to cast a vote for their government of choice when the elections come around.

Many of the North Koreans are lacking either some or all of those things we take for granted in the west. At the same time their Dictatorship of a government is intent on getting Nuclear Weapons capabilities and being agressive towards its neighbours in South Korea and Japan.

I think that something has to be done about North Korea, but I also agree that Tony Blair and George Bush W. Bush, should be presented to the Hague on charges of war crimes too.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   

What do you believe in apart from the shaming of the USA. You appear to have a complete disdain for human life so in summary, you just appear to be fueled by hate so far. Is that how you wish yourself to be viewed?

P.s. I have noted your post count and realise you are probably a troll, but I will play for now.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   

reply to post by VigilantGirl

The USA and the UK has commited war Crimes in the past couple of decades that have gone totally unpunished and I agree with you there. But in the UK and the USA, the people tend to be relatively free to run their lives how they see fit, eat, have fresh drinking water, a roof over their heads in most cases and get to cast a vote for their government of choice when the elections come around.

Many of the North Koreans are lacking either some or all of those things we take for granted in the west. At the same time their Dictatorship of a government is intent on getting Nuclear Weapons capabilities and being agressive towards its neighbours in South Korea and Japan.

I think that something has to be done about North Korea, but I also agree that Tony Blair and George Bush W. Bush, should be presented to the Hague on charges of war crimes too.

You say something has to be done about North Korea, but like every single US Citizen, you choose to ignore the fact that your Empire has surrounded North Korea, you have placed thousands and thousands of your troops on their border. You have occupied the surrounding countries with thousands of your troops. You don't think for one second that this might be the reason why they want nukes? You seem to have a problem with countries who dislike being surrounded by your military, and attempt to strengthen themselves with military expansion. Places like Iran. How dare they fight off your advances? You are a joke of a person.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join