It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dogon's of West Mali

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I have been reading this interesting book dealing with the many mysteries of the world. In one chapter the author discusses the Dogon tribe of West Mali. In it, he talks of how they had extensive knowledge of the sky and especially the star Syrius. If anyone knows their astronomy, then they know that the star is actually a double star. This is why it is the brightest one in the sky. They had this knowledge thousands of years before we discovered it in the late 1850s. Also they knew that this second star was had a term called super density. This was not confirmed up until 1920. Amazing how they knew they eh?

Well apparently, they gained this knowledge through people from the sky. Basically aliens. These aliens were described by the scriptures as amphibious. This same description was given by many other ancient civilizations such as the egyptians.

What are your thoughts on this?

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 04:32 AM
link   
I believe this has been debunked somewhere... When people visit them, they find that this "ancient knowledge" is not ancient at all, it only goes back a generation or something and then no one knows about it.

But I cant remember where I read about it, I'm sure someone else will dig something up

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 06:09 AM
link   
werent they the ones told to guard caves

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Yes, apparently it was in part the influence ofthe original researchers, and apparently the Dogon don't know anything about the star, there are some pictographs said to be the star and said to show that its binary, but thats quite subjective.

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by faiz
I have been reading this interesting book dealing with the many mysteries of the world. In one chapter the author discusses the Dogon tribe of West Mali.

Yes, that's one of the "greatest embarrassing moments" for anthropology.

a preliminary "it's got problems" analysis from the Skeptical Inquirer:
www.csicop.org...

followup expeditions to find out about this folklore by other anthropologists led to a big, fat zero. It didn't exist:
chandra.harvard.edu...

In it, he talks of how they had extensive knowledge of the sky and especially the star Syrius. If anyone knows their astronomy, then they know that the star is actually a double star. This is why it is the brightest one in the sky. They had this knowledge thousands of years before we discovered it in the late 1850s. Also they knew that this second star was had a term called super density. This was not confirmed up until 1920. Amazing how they knew they eh?

Well, it's amazing how much of that is wrong.

It is the brightest star in the sky, but not because it's a double star. Nor did they know the star was super dense. Nor did they have the information at any time. there's no tribal legends of aliens or amphibians and certainly nothing that suggests they were sharing the information with the egyptians.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 12:54 AM
link   
It seems then that I should drop the book that I am reading, cause if it has one story completely wrong, who knows what else, right?

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   
What it means is that you should be skeptical of some of the stories. Read them and research -- see what's really being said, both the pro and the con. And look at the sites that show proof, not those that simply say "Yes! it's absolute truth!" or "gosh, what a load of nonsense!"

If you're reading Sitchin, read the WHOLE Enumma Elish and see how that one sentence fits into the whole thing. If you're looking at pyramidology, look at the scholarly detractors as well as the ones with proof of the situation. Look at pictures, look up related articles in encyclopedias and books of science.

For the record, I was a "sort of believer" in Velikovsky when I encountered him at first. His stuff seemed plausible and I did (and still do) believe that there are other civilizations in our universe. But when I read a book called CRASH GO THE CHARIOTS by scientists, I stopped accepting everything I read and everything presented as reality.

And you know what? In trying to find out who really was giving me good evidence, I've learned a lot!

Read and research. Don't just read and believe.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 02:47 AM
link   
GOTTA LOVE THE BYRD.

Thanks man, I will start researching and looking more in depth in topics instead of believing what I see.

top topics

join