It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Upgraded video of moon with Iphone 5 and telescope worth under $800

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Hello ATSers,
You may remember me from a thread I did.
My pics with my iphone 4 and telescope for under $800
Well I now have an Iphone 5 and have a video to share with you all.
No computers were used in this clip everything from the recording, editing and uploading were done from my phone.
Here is how I've done it
4 apps are needed

1. Pro Cammera.
this app allows you to set focus and brightness manualy and has a zoom with video

2.SlowPro
This app allows you to set you video playing speed. by slowing the clip most of the shaking you get from turning dials or the breeze expecialy after zooming in will disapear.

3.Movie Stiller
this app will get rid of any shaking that slowing down did not remove another bonus with this app is it you can zoom in more on your clip.

4.TiltShift.
This app has a few helpfull things for making you clip look nice brightness ETC (don't use its slow mode its very average.

edit on 30-1-2013 by jaffer44 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Amazing! Great work there. Add a bracket to hold the phone at prime focus, and go asteroid hunting!

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
But why do you need to record videos of the moon?

I mean I get viewing the moon with your telescope. I have one. There's nothing like seeing it yourself. BUT why would you want to take a video of it, when you can find so many online? The whole point of having your own telescope is so you don't have to watch videos of the moon.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by LetsGoViking
Amazing! Great work there. Add a bracket to hold the phone at prime focus, and go asteroid hunting!

This video is with a bracket. I got a old iPhone car holder and mounted to a clip used to hold lights on push bike handle bars. The old iPhone bracket is great because it has 3 pivot points making it easier to change and line up the lens

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jaffer44

What is inducing the wobble that is seen in the video? The tracking?

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

I mean I get viewing the moon with your telescope. I have one. There's nothing like seeing it yourself. BUT why would you want to take a video of it, when you can find so many online? The whole point of having your own telescope is so you don't have to watch videos of the moon.

2 reasons
1 it's fun and a challenge to do it and the Compare it to people who have spent a few thousand dollars on equipment
2 if I can do this for $800 then shouldn't we expect better from NASA with the budget they have.
The vids I've posted are not my best efforts I made a few mistakes along the way when editing and not saving in HD and this is from only one 10 min video now that I got good editing apps I will be able to zoom in a lot more next time

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by LetsGoViking
reply to post by jaffer44

What is inducing the wobble that is seen in the video? The tracking?

The wobbling is what's left over from the apps I've used it's better then the shaking though it was quiet a windy night when I recorded this so it is much better like you see it now. The stabilising app makes the pic stay in centre but the outer frame moves about I think that's what your seeing. Also there were a few thin clouds about witch also give a wobbling effect you can pic the cloud though because you will see the focus to in and out a little

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   

The possibility of capturing something interesting, if you know what I mean.

Why not share something that's raw and done from someone like you and I? Rather than material that's trickled down different channels and protocols before it reaches the public.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clisen33

The possibility of capturing something interesting, if you know what I mean.

Why not share something that's raw and done from someone like you and I? Rather than material that's trickled down different channels and protocols before it reaches the public.

Speaking of strange things
I do have 3 bits of video that don't seem quiet right that I will do another thread on once I have cut and edited them.
It was very time consuming just making that 3 min video so no promises on when I will post them but I promise I will get to it at some stage.
One clip of the top left of the moon looks like a bunch of sky scrapers and a bridge can't wait to clean that vid up and see how clear I can get it.
I have another the looks like a large tower that has fallen over side ways with wreckage spreading out from it.
And I have what looks like might be a tower I need to do some measurements on this o e first though to confirm its as large as I think it is.
In my posted video there is some thing odd in every second or third crater you can see domes lots and lots of them. I never new there were so many until I got my scope NASA pics only show a few but I can find one almost anywhere I point my scope.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by jaffer44

2 reasons
1 it's fun and a challenge to do it and the Compare it to people who have spent a few thousand dollars on equipment
2 if I can do this for $800 then shouldn't we expect better from NASA with the budget they have.
The vids I've posted are not my best efforts I made a few mistakes along the way when editing and not saving in HD and this is from only one 10 min video now that I got good editing apps I will be able to zoom in a lot more next time

Re number 2 we DO get far better from NASA so stop the BS!!! also zooming in using an app will LOWER the quality its a digital zoom not optical.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaffer44

No offense, but NASA has been providing gigabytes of moon image data at half meter resolution or better. That's orders of magnitude better than what even the most advanced amateur astronomer could ever provide. I don't understand why people think NASA hasn't been providing good data given their budget? Anyway, not trying to knock your videos, it is nice to see what can be done afocally with a camera phone these days which is way better than when I tried the afocal method some 13 years ago. Still, you'll always get your best images by shooting at prime focus and minimizing the glass involved (only barlows or focal reducers as necessary).

new topics

top topics

join