It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Army worth joining.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I have been contemplating this for a while. I am unemployed and it is pretty depressing now. So i am wondering whether it would be worth my while to get back into shape and attempt to join the army? As you learn a lot of skills that could help me find a better job once i leave and it would give me a good chance to save up a bundle of money.

I am from the UK and i was wondering if anyone who has been in the army or is currently in the army or just has an opinion could give me some advice and let me know if it is worth joining. Also what would be the best sector to go into ?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
My personal opinion is that if your life-long dream has always been to sell your soul for a secure future, then by all means, join the military. They want people who won't ask questions and are willing to do anything to "serve their country". If you're into that kind of susceptibility, then go for it.
edit on 30-1-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
That depends.

Are you OK with making a moral choice to support the wars of Oligarchs?

Are you OK with following ANY and all orders given by your superiors, such as perhaps shooting people, even perhaps women or children?

Sure there are benefits to military service, but for me, it's become more of a moral stance.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I guess, it depends on what benefits it may bring to you.

Re-evaluate your options, the answer lies within. Is it really worth it then?

Peace
edit on 30-1-2013 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
My personal opinion is that if your life-long dream has always been to sell your soul for a secure future, then by all means, join the military. They want people who won't ask questions and are willing to do anything to "serve their country". If you're into that kind of susceptibility, then go for it.
edit on 30-1-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

It hasn't been my dream but i do need to try and get a better future on the horizon. Although i am susceptible to asking questions, I would do anything for Scotland i am proud of my heritage.

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
That depends.

Are you OK with making a moral choice to support the wars of Oligarchs?

Are you OK with following ANY and all orders given by your superiors, such as perhaps shooting people, even perhaps women or children?

Sure there are benefits to military service, but for me, it's become more of a moral stance.

~Tenth

I do not have a problem following orders, or killing some-one morally if it has to be done then some-one has to do it. Although i don't think i could open fire on women and children.

Too me as it stands the benefits out-weigh the morality issues of it.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Snoopie

Sure, if you want to assist the elite further their global agenda while forcing you into morally corrupt actions.

I once wanted to join the military, desperately as a 17 year old. I failed the psyche test. I am glad I did as I look back at my life. I am now a proud father of 4 beautiful boys. I am the loving partner of one beautiful woman. I am a hard working partner of a business. I am the proud owner of an '93 R32 Nissan Skyline GTR.

I am rich in life....and financially not much worse. Where would I be today if I had joined the military? Not on this forum, I assure you.

The military is for those who can take orders without question. If you have even half a brain and pay attention to what is going on around the world you will know which is the right decision.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Snoopie

Well there's your answer for you.

I suppose in the UK your chances of seeing combat are slim from what I know, so it will end up being a great educational contract for you.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snoopie
I do not have a problem following orders, or killing some-one morally if it has to be done then some-one has to do it. Although i don't think i could open fire on women and children.

And you've just openly admitted that you've lost your humanity.

Go for it son. You'd make a good soldier.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Depends what you want out of it... it's not just about what your country can get from you!

Although I live in the UK, I'm not certain how the army works here... I didn't grow up here. If I hadn't come to the UK going on two decades ago, I would have gone into the army where I grew up. Simply beacuse they would have provided me with a large variety of skills and opportunities. For one, they would have paid for my driving lessons (
), and after that whatever path I would have wanted to take... whether to become a nurse, a doctor, a chef, a truck driver... anything basically.

My OHs ex went into the army in the US when they got divorced... again, I don't know anything about the army there... but I know she was a secretary when she went in, and a pediatrician (working with the children of the army personel living on army bases) when she quit a decade or so later (she also met her new hubby there, guess he's happy she quit - she was higher rank than him - so the boss both at work and home. Hahahaha! Nah, she's lovely, and they're very happy together) - so I guess it works the same way there.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Snoopie

No man is meant to see his friends get killed, their friends get killed and people in desperation without being able to help them.

You will either get more depressed or develop PTSD when you come out, it really not a good option to become a weapon for another mans war.

If you want tog et fit become a personal trainer, I heard FirstFit do courses 6 weeks long and then after that they find you work so you can pay them back. Or at least I think it is FirstFit, It is a very popular chain of UK gyms that dose this course.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Snoopie

If you don't mind being dropped into the middle of a s#@!storm of folks who hate your country for it's past indiscretions and told to protect your buddies at all costs, then I guess the military is for you.
Don't be fooled into believing your'e fighting for my freedom though.
A brown man 7000 miles away wearing sandals, riding a camel, sporting a Mosin Nagant was NEVER a threat to me.
We know what country orchestrated these "conflicts", if not please see my sig below.
That's who you would be fighting for, and that is bad for U.S.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

Ahh haha.. wow.

As if wars do not occur and there is no such thing as the enemy.

You know, every nation on this planet, has been built on the death of people. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

Damn hippies

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Oh well OP, I was interested to read the replies here, as this is something I've been looking at for a while. But being on the red end of the scale of age, my options are limited. Also I need to get fit in a meaningful way.

Was hoping for thinkers to post, but it's a fair amount of emotive replies. You must be some sort of evil maniac with no heart and childrens heads hanging on you walls to want to be in the military.

Damn..

I'd have to take down a few homeless heads to hang my trophies.. so unfair.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I think you should become an Oligarch.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Well I was in the Navy, and I would not have done it if I new what was going to happen. I joined in peace time, but less than a year in, and we went to war with Iraq over their invasion of Kuwait. The 1st Gulf War.

Now 1 in 4, including me, have multiple chronic illnesses caused by some kind of chemical exposure, the jury is still out on what that was. Commonly know as 'Gulf war illness/syndrome', the VA now calls it 'unexplained chronic multi-symptom illness'.

We were used as guinea pigs for untested vaccines for Anthrax and Botulism. Troops were exposed to sarin gas from the munition dumps that were exploded in Iraq, the gas became airborne, and blown south exposing troops in Saudi. Also exposure to depleted uranium, smoke from oil fires etc. The government will never admit blame.

You do your four years, or whatever, thinking you made it out alive only to suffer from chronic pain, fatigue, gastro problems including IBS and dysfunctioning organs. I have a problem with my pancreas not producing enzymes, and I can't digest fats and other nutrients, fat malabsorption syndrome, meaning I have problems maintaining weight, and in danger of malnutrition. I take stomach enzymes in a pill, and drink three boost plus a day (360 cals each) and my weight still goes down. Then there is the chronic headaches, sensitivity to light, sound, and smells. The chronic fatigue that just doesn't go away. Chronic pain they diagnose as fibromyalgia. Depression, anxiety, sleep problems, memory loss.

I haven't worked in 12 years, and it has taken the VA 10 years to finally approve my claim for compensation. They only added gastro problems in 2011.

And it's not just limited to vets from the 1st Gulf War, troops returning from the ME now are having these problems.

Not trying to put you off, but give you something to think about mate.

Report: New vets showing Gulf War illness symptoms

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Snoopie

My advice is to listen to people who have done it. They know what you are going through. They can relate to you and offer food for thought to help you make your own decision.

I have spent 20+ years in the military. I can tell you this: NO ONE on Earth can convince you to join if you do not want to. There is no magical brainwashing fairy dust. You either are willing to give it your best for a period of enlistment or you are not.

It may sound corny, but you will know when you are ready. I knew when I was stuck in a dead end job but aspired to do more than chase a dollar for the rest of my days. I knew when the things important to me in this world could not come from 9-5. Maybe I was old fashion but honor, courage, and adventure (I will admit it) were, and still are more important to me than the safety of conformity.

If I had it do over again, I would not change a thing. It has been an awesome ride. I consider myself fortunate to have had the mental and spiritual fortitude required to step forward and give it a try. It has not been all a bed of roses but what is?

To those who have never been but tell you what it is all about, simply smile and nod. They mean well but they can only offer perspective on not being in the military. You already know what that feels like.

...I hope this helps.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
The things people would be willing to do for a paycheck....

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Snoopie

I joined the army (US) straight out of high school. Although I'm not sure about aiding the govt in it's military goals now, I don't look back at the experience as a bad one. It helped me grow into a stronger person (and one trained to stand up and fight if armed men come knocking at my door)

I'll tell you it's not a decision to make lightly, you will experience a completely different lifestyle and push yourself harder than you've likely pushed yourself before.

If you do decide to join, I suggest you go into a job that will start you on a career when you get back to the civilian world. For example, I would like to fly helicopters but I found out to get fully certified it would cost around $50,000. If I had gone that route when I joined, instead of infantry, I would have got that training for free, as well as job experience in the field.

On another note, join with the shortest enlistment term possible, you can always extend your contract later if you decide to stay in when your term is up.

And you are specifically taught not to obey illegal and immoral orders. Shooting unarmed women and children expressly fits into that category; although there are some ARMED women and children in some african factions that you may have to shoot down the road

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snoopie

Hey, if participating and contributing to mass murder against innocent civilians world wide is morally acceptable to you, then by all means, go.

I don't know why people ask this question? You're asking if it is a good idea to be a contract killer, for government pay (zilch!). This is a question you can only answer yourself.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Snoopy,

This is my first post, I've on been on this site for a while but I've never posted, your dilema has compelled me to reply.

I joined the army at 16, where I served in the infantry for ten years. I left school with no formal education, and I didn't sit any of my GCSE exams. There wasn't much out there in the way of jobs (pretty much as it is now) so it was one of the few options open to me. My decision to join was one of the best I have ever made.

It all depends on your prospect's in life at the moment, is there a career path open to you? Qualifications ect? You could always join the TA first and become a weekend warrior! At least you'll then get a taste for it. You get paid the same as regulars and you'll also get the option to go on tour.

For me things worked out well, my life would have been completly different if I hadn't joined. I've left now and I'm now working in a profession earning good money.

Good luck to you sir whatever you may choose.

edit on 30-1-2013 by yorkshireman because: Spelling's!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join