It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Netflix Gems

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I have had Netflix for almost a year now and I feel like I have gone through just about everything worth watching.

Last night I watched Creatures That Defy Evolution. It was an interesting movie as I had never heard of many of the animals mentioned, but the rest of it was pure propaganda. Even with that, I still found myself watching all three volumes.

I will watch almost anything but I tend to gravitate toward documentaries. I would like to have something to watch tonight but I'm not finding anything as of yet. Are there any movies on there that you really enjoyed and could recommend?

I'll also share a website while I am talking about Netflix. It is pretty handy and shows which movies have been added every day. It can even show which movies will be added in the coming days and weeks. It has a database of all the movies and a better search function than Netflix offers. It also allows you to queue movies right from the website. InstantWatcher

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I loved 'The Man From Earth'; it's not a documentary but very cerebral (all talking) so it's not for everyone. Written by quite a famous science fiction author that wrote several Star Trek episodes; this was his last screenplay.

There's several documentary sites available if you want to go looking for them.

Thanks for the link, good one!

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by signalfire
I loved 'The Man From Earth'; it's not a documentary but very cerebral (all talking) so it's not for everyone. Written by quite a famous science fiction author that wrote several Star Trek episodes; this was his last screenplay.

There's several documentary sites available if you want to go looking for them.

Thanks for the link, good one!

How funny! I have had this movie in my queue for probably 6 months. I was expecting it to be bad so I have been putting it off.

After I posted this, I read the "Rate the last movie you watched" thread and multiple people recommended it. Come back here and you also have recommended it.

Now I must watch it. I will definitely watch it tonight. Thank you!

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Dont think its on Netflix yet but End of Watch was a great movie rent it if you can i had to watch it twice. Not a doc but a cop movie.Ill send it too you if you want. I have it saved on my comp.
edit on 30-1-2013 by ed1320 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by tport17

Depending on what kind of movies you like you might try a few of these that are on my instant queue:
Series 7: The Contenders
The Beguiled
Tucker & Dale vs. Evil
God Bless America
Megan Is Missing
Exit Humanity
The Daniel Project
The Tall Man
Equilibrium

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Another vote for the man from earth.

Also, Ink, if you get the chance. Indie film, very good imo. Probably not everyones cup of tea, but one I've watched plenty of times.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by tport17

I guess your thread is only directed at US citizens, because here in Denmark we don't got the same movies on netflix as you guys

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Spacespider

Oh, I'm sorry
I didn't realize Netflix offered different movies depending on the country. Makes sense I guess.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by tport17

Depending on what kind of movies you like you might try a few of these that are on my instant queue:
Series 7: The Contenders
The Beguiled
Tucker & Dale vs. Evil
God Bless America
Megan Is Missing
Exit Humanity
The Daniel Project
The Tall Man
Equilibrium

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil was a movie I figured wouldn't be all that great but I ended up really liking it. The Tall Man was pretty good as well.

I wasn't super impressed with God Bless America. It didn't go the way I thought it would, but a lot of people like it.

Megan is Missing I couldn't make it through. Maybe I'm getting old. I've seen a lot of raunchy, terrible movies but this one bothered me. We turned it off about 20-30 minutes into it when a good 10 minutes was spent on a young girl (14?) describing in detail her first sexual encounter with a camp counselor I think it was. Couldn't stomach it.

The other movies you have listed I will definitely check out! Thank you for the suggestions!

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
Another vote for the man from earth.

Also, Ink, if you get the chance. Indie film, very good imo. Probably not everyones cup of tea, but one I've watched plenty of times.

Ink is ANOTHER movie I have had in my queue forever. I guess now I know what to watch after The Man From Earth

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by tport17

Megan Is Missing isn't for everyone and parts of it made me cringe and cover my eyes, but after watching all of it I have come to the conclusion that it should be required viewing for every parent who has a young teen internet active daughter so that they can be aware of what can happen when you don't pay attention to what your kids are doing and who they are "friends" with on the internet. Heck, I made my grown daughters (22 and 24) sit down and watch it and then discuss it with me. After seeing it they became a lot more cautious in their internet relationships.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by tport17

I was in the at the same place on netflix.Then I stumbled upon a mockumentary series,that had me laughing for three weeks.It was called The Trailer Park Boys.After you watch the first couple you can't quit.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
The Usual Suspects

oh and they recently put the best show on Netflix "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia."

The Thirteenth Floor

Cypher
edit on 30-1-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Limitless was the latest gem I found. Well a year ago but is the best "we'll see movie" I have ever found on Netflix so far, Add it to your list and watch it! It is a REALLY good movie! Enjoy!

Loves Restless
edit on 1/30/2013 by restlessinMT because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/30/2013 by restlessinMT because: needed to add an ' !

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
in the category of Sublimely Absurd, we find "Death Race 2000". Starring Sly Stallone and David Carradine, this mid-70s sci-fi romp is like a live-action Speed Racer with generous nudity and gore thrown in for good measure. see if you can stand watching it.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Deadhead Miles.

But I mostly stick to 30's black and white Westerns.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by tport17

Lemme know how you liked "Man From Earth", I'm curious!

I think I've watched that movie 6 or 7 times now. I wish I'd written it.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   
There's a ton of great movies on Netflix instant if you're willing to take some chances and do some rooting around. I can take a look at what they have on there that I've liked, but for now I'll recommend a couple documentaries starting with "Exit Through the Gift Shop."

It's starts as a documentary about street art that's told through an eccentric man named Thierry. Eventually, Thierry meets Banksy and after that things start to get weird. It's extremely interesting and takes a turn that really makes you think about art.

Also, "This Film is Not Yet Rated" a really fascinating look at the MPAA, the people who give ratings to movie. It's surprising how hypocritical, close-minded and...corrupt might be too strong of a word, but it's not far off.

"Grizzly Man" is pretty famous, I'm sure you've heard about that. "Winnebago Man" is a nice little documentary that tries to find out the story behind a viral video of a guy freaking out while making a commercial for Winnebagos. It's an odd thing to make a film about, but it works well. "Anvil!: The Story of Anvil" has been called a real life Spinal Tap. It's about a band that was influential to a lot of the big metal bands, but never really made it. The guys are still playing and the movie follows them around.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   
The Man From Earth
The description sounds great. It's in my instant queue as of just now. Saving it for the weekend to give it my full attention.

In the Sci-fi Genre, by the way, I found that I really ended up liking Enterprise. The Star-Trek prequel series that I passed over when it was originally running. Seems a lot of Star-Trek fans thought it was horrible. I can see why, I mean, the theme song dared to have actual lyrics!

Another potential problem might have been the "Cliffhanger" approach they took. Rarely was an event wrapped up in a single episode. Season 3 was like one extremely long episode. But that's the beauty of having it on Netflix now.
Cliffhanger? Just push the button, and watch the next episode.

I like the more primitive version of the Starship. The FEAR of using that newfangled Transporter. The NASA style uniforms, and the fact that it takes place in a much more approachable future..

Anyway, that's one of my GEMS.

Another one that pleasantly surprised me was a Sydney Lumet film, "Night Falls on Manhattan". Probably not his BEST film. But when you have "Fail-Safe", "Network", "Twelve Angry Men", "Dog Day Afternoon", and "Serpico" on your resume, it's hard to pick a worst one!

"Night Falls on Manhattan" is basically a story of police corruption and how a freshly elected DA deals with it, despite his close ties with the Department. I enjoyed it.

Hope to see some more gems in this thread!

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by tport17

Eh, now that I'm on Netflix, I might as well post a list. I'll try to keep it somewhat short. I'll try to keep off really big named stuff.

The Fall- The most beautiful movie I've ever watched. Incredibly imaginative.

Primer- The most complex and real time travel movie ever made.

Bronson- One of the most enjoyable movies I've ever watched, By the director who did Drive (which is also on Instant and is very good). It's violent, it's funny and it's weird, which is always worth points with me. It's about one of Britain's most violent criminals.

God Bless America- Two people going on a killing spree targeting annoying people.

Wet Hot American Summer- Hilarious parody of '80s camp movies.

Brick- By the director who did Looper. One of the best modern noir movies. The concept sounds stupid, noir set in high school, but it works very well.

Miller's Crossing- The Coen Bros. best movie (I like Big Lebowski, that's probably their best comedy, but this is a better movie). Gangster movie set in the '20s.

Mulholland Dr- Not obscure, but too amazing and weird to leave it off the list. David Lynch. Weird, scary and sexy.

Punch Drunk Love- A romantic comedy about genuinely insane people. Adam Sandler is an adult movie that really requires him to act.

In The Loop- Really smart British comedy about politics on both sides of the pond. A bumbling politician accidentally gets Britain involved in the Iraq war.

Dogtooth- AMAZING Greek movie. You might feel dirty after you watch it, but it's worth it. A mother and father isolate their children, never letting them leave the property. They feed them misinformation about the outside world.

Santa Sangre- A weird take on horror movies by the amazing cult director Alejandro Jodorowsky.

Double Indemnity- Noir classic.

Grave Encounters- A pretty good found footage horror movie.

Secret of Kells- Great animated movie about a monastery and a boy's fascination with the illumination on the Book of Kells. Very unique animation style.

The Man Who Fell to Earth- Very slow, kind of artsy '70s sci-fi movie starring David Bowie. Lot of nudity. It's slow, but it also has a kind of hypnotic quality.

Also, going to echo recommendations for "The Man From Earth" and "Death Race 2000."

TV Shows:

Arrested Development
Better off Ted
Firefly
Parks and Recreation
Twin Peaks
Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Sherlock
Louie
Wilfred
Breaking Bad
Home Movies
Terriers

edit on 1/31/2013 by SaulGoodman because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join