It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Kerrys Cabinet Takes Shape

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Rumors are beginning to float around Washington as to John Kerry's possible selections for his cabinet, should he win next weeks election. Some of the possible choices include DE Sen. Joe Bidden for Sec. of State, and AZ Sen. John McCain for Sec. of Defense. Kerry is said to be intent on removing Porter Goss as CIA Chief.

www.timesonline.co.uk
Senator Joseph Biden of Delaware has been asked by Mr Kerry to become Secretary of State in a Democratic administration, according to Kerry campaign aides. Mr Biden, the leading Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee for the past four years, ran for President in 1988. His campaign ended abruptly when it was revealed that a key element of his stump speech had been lifted directly from Mr Kinnock�s general election speeches in 1987.

One puzzle for the Democratic team is the Pentagon. Mr Kerry is understood to want his friend John McCain, the Arizona senator, to be Defence Secretary. But Mr McCain is believed to be reluctant. The confirmed maverick might fit uncomfortably even in his close friend�s administration. If the Republicans keep control of the Senate, the Arizona senator will take the powerful job of chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee.

Another possibility is Chuck Hagel, the Nebraska senator, also a Republican. Mr Kerry is said to be intent on removing Porter Goss, who was confirmed as the head of the CIA only this month. A candidate to replace him is Bob Graham, the retiring Florida senator.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Kerry's decision to begin selecting a cabinet at this point would seem to be a good move. However the choice of mostly senators would give a Kerry administration the air of a group of theorist the spend more time discussing then doing.

Selecting a cabinet before the election may give him an advantage over Al Gore's chosen path in 2000. By acting like a President Elect in the case of another disputed election, he may be able to sway political opinion to see him as the real victor.

[edit on 10/28/2004 by phreak_of_nature]

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Edit please delete this post.

[edit on 28-10-2004 by edsinger]

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 11:40 PM
link   
As i said in "Eds" post, by this time in 2000, Bush and Cheney not only had most of the cabinet picked out, but also had their makeshift WhiteHouse somewhere in Washington, DC.

YOu go Kerry!

YOU the man!!!!!

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by phreak_of_nature
Selecting a cabinet before the election may give him an advantage over Al Gore's chosen path in 2000. By acting like a President Elect in the case of another disputed election, he may be able to sway political opinion to see him as the real victor.

Not selecting a Cabinet before the election would be plain irresponsible. It is common sense and commonplace to PLAN AHEA
D.

*snicker*

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Not selecting a Cabinet before the election would be plain irresponsible. It is common sense and commonplace to PLAN AHEA
D.

*snicker*

True, true, but let's see if Kerry acts like the President Elect after the votes are counted. I think that's what killed Gore, he was spending more time whining and litigating then planning for the transfer. On the other hand, W set up the transition team, and started drawing his cabinet around him.

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
And he did it highly. Why would he do that? Goss had made no hiding of the fact that he was too partisan for the job.
McCain as S o D? Good call, let him get an honored role in policy making; someone needs to work hard in all facets of restoring dignity to all of the executive branch, but particularly post Rumsfeld.

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I like several of his choices, just not sure I like them for the positions he has proposed. I personally like Joe Biden. He has a no nonsense type personality, and says what he thinks. I'm not sure that person is right for State Dept.

McCain's my BOY! But I don't see him as Sec of Defense. He seems more inclined towards social and policy issues then defense. Here's a wild idea, why not Wes Clark as Sec of Defense? He was NATO Commander? He SHOULD know what he's doing, right?

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Will be in the cabinet. Even *gag* Joe Liberman & Dick Gephart.

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bout Time
Will be in the cabinet. Even *gag* Joe Liberman & Dick Gephart.

So does Al Sharpton get HUD?

new topics

top topics

join