It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen Charged in Fatal School Bus Shooting Can Attend School: Judge

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

It was an accident did you even read the article? Lots of people have brought guns before and no one was hurt. He had no intention of doing harm with it that we are aware of and the girl that was killed ACCIDENTALLY also squeezed the guns trigger and played with the gun. She could have just as easily shot someone herself.

Read the article first.

This kid had been bringing the gun to school for 2 months. This particular day the girl that was killed saw it and she picked it up and started aiming it around, she pulled the trigger and it didn't go off, then later the other kid was holding it and pulled the trigger, not even aiming it, and it went off and hit the girl. It was an accident.

“L comes and she grabs it and she picks it out, she playing with it, pointing it at people," the witness told the detective. He added of Howe, "He didn't really care." Guzman-DeJesus pointed the firearm at others, the witness said. “Pulling on the trigger, like pointing at people, pointing it at the floor, at herself," he said. She even pulled the trigger but it did not go off, according to the witness. But when Howe pointed the gun at Guzman-DeJesus and pulled the trigger, it did fire, the witness said. The detective asked if the 13-year-old clearly saw Howe raise the gun from the ground and point it at Guzman-DeJesus. “He didn't really raise it up that high, he just went like this, (indicating) like not really pointing," the witness responded, according to his statement.

He said of Guzman-DeJesus, “She started screaming and fell on the floor.”

Howe had been carrying the gun for about two months, the 13-year-old witness said.

edit on 31-1-2013 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

It was no accident that there was a gun on the bus to begin with. That was my point! The kid should be expelled for that alone.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

He was obviously. He isn't going to the same school. When you get expelled it's not forever. They don't strip away your right to an education and say "good luck."
edit on 31-1-2013 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Majiq1

Well the system isn't about healing. And that would depend on the circumstances alot, accident, doing something risky and therefore negligence, or out and out first degree murder. Not a blanket cover all.

But of course its not a pat on the back and everything is OK. But the system isn't going to be the most healing process so it takes people as the backbone, praying, providing opportunities. If he ends up in a half way house, will his schooling be finished? Who is his family that his eyes looks so wounded and solemn/serious? I hope they weren't a part of a black op thing for example, or the reason why there could be a motive in the shooting? How supportive are they? Is he loved? Is his core wounded? I feel tears when I look in his eyes.

Its one thing to have this prosecution concept and another to see him surrounded by a loving family, overcoming the errors of judgment and/or more sinister impulse to harm within, for we don't know the circumstances, and at the same time, trying to provide a sense of core safety and help, so he rewires his sense of betrayal and aloneness and that hurt in his eyes, so he becomes capable of growing, learning education wise, developing life skills and giving back out of a growth of wisdom and talent tot he world.

So the penal slave system does not do all of that, in fact its run by the real Jokers that are so hard to forgive.

The Joker's Scars [Second Scene] DVD QUALITY

I only actually believe in prison for repeat killers and repeat rapists and other methods. For example, I'd have his family in counseling if they're a part of this, and have him learning skills on an eco farm, taking schooling part time, working part time, and alot of counseling. Meditation. Art therapy. Music. Tai Chi, and martial arts.
The boys around me get told when they disappear into games what they're about, and told earth is a school, a test and to be hero's of their lives. That we go through hardships here, and we can't let them break us, we can't lose compassion on those that participated in hurting us either. There is alot that I'd be doing for kids like that if I had the chance.

Currently, we had a foster child of the ministry about to turn 19 move in, they were encouraging him to go to Vancouver, which would have put him on the street. He never stays anywhere for long. He's the wounded bird to me, and safety is the first rule of the day. Then with this, we have suddenly a few different young men in ministry care and shelters that decided my house is a safe place, but the thing is they feel the love, though its like the funny farm at times, have 4/5 of my kids here as it is. But I love every single one of them, as if they were my own. And am trying to figure out how to get futures, life plans for kids that normally would be a part of the black market world, by design of the Jokers running the system.

So I don't see things your way.
edit on 31-1-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

He was obviously. He isn't going to the same school. When you get expelled it's not forever. They don't strip away your right to an education and say "good luck."

He should be able to get an education in lock up.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by Majiq1

But you think "his time" is 30 years! And you think people come out of our prisons better? After that much time with hardened criminals, surviving, he isn't going to come out better. They never do. If you want to turn his life around you don't send him to a prison for any amount of time. He never had any intention of comitting the crime. He is no more guilty really than the girl. She played with the gun and pulled the trigger too, it just happened to go off when he had it.

If you send him off for a life sentence like you suggest by charging him as an adult he will be nearing middle age when he gets out and will have lost his entire life. Yeah it's sad that the girl was killed, but it was 100 percent an accident. I am glad the judge apparently has more sense than most of the posters calling for him to go to prison.

No, if you go back and look at what I have posted I have said repeatedly that Murder is not the fitting crime for this. A manslaughter charge would see him out in a 2-10. As far as people coming out better, they often don't but don't say that they never do. I can introduce you to a few very polite and upstanding citizens who spent time in prison because of stupid decisions they made when they were young.

As far as guilt the girl did not bring the gun on the bus. You seem to forget that he committed a felony by bringing the gun on the bus in the first place. I don't think he needs to be put in prison for life, but he is guilty of at least 2 felonies and a girls life has ended because of it. a prison sentence is most certainly in order, and I believe that any slap on the wrist is a slap in the face of the dead girl and her parents.

What I find truly amazing is that everyone is sooooooooooo concerned about this poor boy but no one even mentions the fact that a girls life was cut short due to his irresponsible actions, and how about the life sentence that her parents are now subjected to.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

I think if you bring a gun to school and a student gets shot and killed with that gun, you lose the right to go to school

It seems pretty simple.... What the hell do you have to do to get kicked out of school?

Does anyone here that thinks he should be allowed to attend school have kids?
edit on 31-1-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by goou111

I think if you bring a gun to school and a student gets shot and killed with that gun, you lose the right to go to school

It seems pretty simple.... What the hell do you have to do to get kicked out of school?

Does anyone here that thinks he should be allowed to attend school have kids?
edit on 31-1-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

Correct. He's demonstrated a complete lack of regard for the lives and safety of other people.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I say we are far too lenient on "child" perpetrators of crime.

Our sense of morality is formed by age 13 - honestly if you have reached that point and you still don't know the difference between right and wrong you probably never will.

Best to get them off the streets as soon as possible.

Stop codling these "kids" the problem with our society is that the kids know they are almost immune from any serious punishment for things unless its straight up murder.

I hear it all the time in the system with delinquents "what are they going to do, I'm a minor" put me in jail? They walk out with some stupid supervised program of rehabilitation.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Golf66

Our sense of morality is formed by age 13 - honestly if you have reached that point and you still don't know the difference between right and wrong you probably never will.

Stop codling these "kids" the problem with our society is that the kids know they are almost immune from any serious punishment for things unless its straight up murder.

I hear it all the time in the system with delinquents "what are they going to do, I'm a minor" put me in jail? They walk out with some stupid supervised program of rehabilitation.

Here here, someone who understands. This is no elementary kid here, this is a 15y/o who is almost a legal adult and knew full well that he was committing a crime when he brought the gun to school and should pay the consequences not only for bringing it but for killing an innocent girl.

He is no murderer which is why we have laws like manslaughter, and Criminally Negligent Homicide which he is guilty of. Giving this kid a fine and sending on his way only tells him that he can do as he likes. Hell if there is going to be no substantial consequences for killing another kid then he pretty much has a green light to commit any crime he wishes.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majiq1

Originally posted by Golf66

Here here, someone who understands. This is no elementary kid here, this is a 15y/o who is almost a legal adult and knew full well that he was committing a crime when he brought the gun to school and should pay the consequences not only for bringing it but for killing an innocent girl.

He is no murderer which is why we have laws like manslaughter, and Criminally Negligent Homicide which he is guilty of. Giving this kid a fine and sending on his way only tells him that he can do as he likes. Hell if there is going to be no substantial consequences for killing another kid then he pretty much has a green light to commit any crime he wishes.

Read through all the responses, I am with you for the most part. A gun is not a toy, I repeat A gun is NOT a toy.

Accident or not, he does not deserve a slap on the wrist. The reasons most teens do these things is because they know they can get away with it. Look at Steubenville for example, teens commit atrocious crimes because they know the worst they will get is a 2 year vacation and then a clean record.

He should get 2-10 years, and then probation after. Possibly house arrest as early release for good behavior. If he's never made to look at what he did as a crime he will never learn the consequences of committing crimes. Just my $0.02

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Of course he needs to go to school. If this young man is prevented from attending school, he will never receive his Phd in Physics and invent the technology that turns air into energy.

No need to stress out about letting him back in. He'll likely drop out within a month or two regardless.

Its a foregone conclusion that this kid will never encounter the criminal justice system again after learning this lesson.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkphoenix77

I am in full agreement, and I think that is a fitting sentence. You are right, about the need to learn consequences for your actions. Kids in this day and age are coddled way too much, and taught at a young age that nothing is there fault. If the commit crimes it is usually blamed on ADHD, depression, or some other thing that they like to dope kids up for these days (not their fault), absent parent (not their fault), peer pressure (not their fault), etc...

This ever growing idea that kids have some mysterious magical thing happen at 18 that gives them the ability to reason, and think for themselves that they never had before is ludicrous, and dangerous. We are seeing the effects of it all over our society.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

You are being ridiculous. It was an accident. He was a kid that was holding a gun that went off. The girl was playing with the gun too. It was the combined ignorance of several kids that led to this accident.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Why? Because it was a gun? Kids have injured and killed other kids in school before using other things and sometimes on accident. This case was a TOTAL accident. Obviously it's not going to happen again. You really think this kid is going to bring a gun to school again after accidentally killing a classmate and likely being traumatized for life? No. This is one of those instances where you use your brain and give mercy if ever there was one.

Do you work for a prison or something? Sometimes you see the crime of what it is and you have mercy.
edit on 1-2-2013 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

He might not ever encounter the criminal justice system, and has almost undoubtedly learned his lesson.
This was a private academy and a two kids that played with a gun and it went off and killed one. I would guarantee this kid will not make the same mistake. You are keeping up with that ignorant notion that if it has a gun involved it involves a sociopathic criminal.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   

So did the girl that was accidentally shot. Her and the boy were both playing with the gun, it happened to be pointing at her when it went off, but moments before she was aiming it at people herself. Are you going to posthumously charge her with reckless endangerment and menacing with a deadly weapon?

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
No, I am assuming that someone of that age who has the judgement to bring a gun to school, pull it out on a bus and allows someone to play with lacks the implus control required to become an solid member of society. He is destined to either be a resident of a prison or a pine box while still a young man.

He should not be in school, period.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join