It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Signs of Microbial Life in an Antarctica Subglacial Lake Found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
The first signs of microbial life in an Antarctica subglacial lake have been found.

Scientists drilling in Lake Whillans, a remote body of water buried 2,600 feet below the West Antarctic Ice Sheet, have discovered evidence of living bacteria. The finding follows the recent discovery that microorganisms live within clouds in the troposphere, suggesting that life is capable of thriving in an even broader range of extreme environments than scientists previously thought possible, broadening the list of potential extraterrestrial habitats, including Europa and Enceladus which are also thought to harbor oceans of liquid water. The half mile of glacial ice atop Lake Whillans is from snow that fell onto Antarctica thousands of years ago. A sensor lowered down the borehole this week showed that dissolved minerals were far more abundant in the lake than previously thought

The water samples were first removed from the ice sheet at 6:20am on Monday, January 28, by the U.S. research team Whillans Ice Stream Subglacial Access Research Drilling, or WISSARD. Researchers employed a quick test to analyze their samples for potential life by injecting green DNA-sensitive dye into the water, and immediately found numerous glowing cells.

I know many ATS members having been following these Antarctic scientific discoveries and I just came across this article.

Sourc e

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Somehow I can life on another planet being revealed during the year. These extremeophilles could be the paving the way for the MSM slowly disclosing alien microbiotical life!

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
not only here,but all the planets in the universe

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by samuel1990
Somehow I can life on another planet being revealed during the year. These extremeophilles could be the paving the way for the MSM slowly disclosing alien microbiotical life!

We could easily get that kind of news from Mars this year.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by 1questioner

Agreed!
And wow, I missed a few words in that post! Bloody iPad lol!

top topics

join