One more reason to stop using wikipedia on ATS

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Anyone who's read my other threads (thank you, both of you) probably knows I have a personal hatred of wikipedia. I see lots and lots of posts on ATS open with someone claiming to have researched something on wikipedia and wanting to share their revelations. It needs to stop.

Over the years I've found dozens of mistakes on wikipedia without even trying. Most times the errors are harmless enough, like the last one I corrected about samurai in feudal Japan. The wiki said they were paid in land, which is not true. Samurai were not landowners, they were paid in rice. Not a grievous error, but an error nonetheless. This latest one though is too much.

I hope that by sharing it here people can see why wiki should not be quoted, referenced, or relied upon for any relevant information. Yes, I realize that there are sources with the articles, which ought to guide you toward where the information was found, hopefully a primary source. But I've noticed a disturbing trend of sources that more often than not are invalid.

Of course it should be obvious to anyone that wikipedia should not be used as a source, ever, and that you should always do your own research after reading an article. But many people do not. They take the article at its face value and move on to the next thing that catches their interest.

From Muammar Gaddafi's Wiki entry

In 2011, people started shoving pencils up other peoples butts and called it "Gaddafying".

This is the opening sentence of the section about the origins of the Arab Spring movement. One of the most important social revolutions in modern times, and some jackass wants to be funny with it. I'm not going to edit the article, I want to see how long this type of ignorance and downright immaturity lasts. How many high school students are going to copy and paste the definition of Gaddafying into their homework?

Do yourself and your intelligence a favor, and boycott wikipedia. Deny Ignorance.

Flame on

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
That is actually a true statement however... thanks to Daniel Tosh from t0sh.0 .. kind of a sick thing, and I am normally a fan of his.. but he challenged his viewers to do it and invented the term... there's videos of people doing it.

So it's not a false statement.. it's just something that probably doesn't BELONG on Wikipedia ...

Wikipedia is a communal site where things are modified, edited and voted on .. the majority rules.. it's still a great source of information and is USUALLY correct, but not always.. it shouldn't be used for important research but it can be used as a jumping off point for further research.

But for that matter.. there's no such thing as a good source on the internet.. anyone can post anything and call it fact.. I would tend to trust Wikipedia over a site like say .. info**rs.com ( censored lol ) ..

edit on 1/30/2013 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
i applaud you, but as i am sure you fear, this will in large part fall on deaf ears.

it's hilariously unfunny that many ats users seem unaware that checking facts and sources out for themselves, and questioning what they are spoon-fed will pay dividends.

my mind boggles at times

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
All I need to know about wiki is the israeli terrorist regime edits alot of it.
This alone suggests it is full of outright lies and disinformation.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

Where's your source for that claim? ...

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

thanks to Daniel Tosh from t0sh.0 .. kind of a sick thing, and I am normally a fan of his.. but he challenged his viewers to do it and invented the term... there's videos of people doing it.

I don't know who Daniel Tosh is, but I trust that statement is enough is get an accurate picture of him. I'm glad that's where wikipedia gets its info. Awesome.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus

There is a News story (was posted here) from Israel showing how they actually pay citizens to take classes and present "Zionism" (their words) in a good light.

This was something they bragging about- Also paying College Students at Israeli Colleges to "combat" disinformation (again, their words)

The full story with the Video and articles was posted here a couple weeks ago- Its there if you search for it but I am totally unsure what the "keywords" would be since (If I remember correctly) the thread it appeared in wasnt even about the subject.

I was in awe since I thought it was a rumor as well, but this was official video .
EDIT: I googled and found THIS. It isnt the same but still relevant.

edit on 30-1-2013 by DarKPenguiN because: (no reason given)

EDIT @-- WOW, they pulled that quick =/- Here is the same video from another source. Watch fast.

EDIT 34- OR I am doing something wrong. Heres the link if someone else can try. There is NO WAY it was pulled THAt fast. www.youtube.com... -Sorry for the mess.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

But for that matter.. there's no such thing as a good source on the internet.. anyone can post anything and call it fact.. I would tend to trust Wikipedia over a site like say .. info**rs.com ( censored lol ) ..

I beg to differ. As a student at any community college you get access to university libraries from all over the world through the internet. Scholarly, peer reviewed papers, news articles, primary source material. It's mind-boggling how much good information is sitting there, untouched by millions of wikipedia users.

I won't even touch on infowars as a source for information.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
It's stupid to dismiss it altogether, but I wouldn't use it unless I know the article is correct.

If they are truly mistakes you can edit it you know.

edit on 1/30/2013 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I think what's even worse is the amount of school kids using Wiki for their revision.
I discouraged my son from doing this when he first started secondary (high) school, at least .ac.uk or .edu sites are more likely to be more accurate for his studies.

Oh, any state school haters who teach their own kids at home, that's your right which I support of course. We use .ac.uk or .edu because regardless of how right or wrong anyone thinks the info is as found there, it is directly relevant to his state schooling and will guarantee him passing the exams which the UK universities require for his entrance.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Followed the link and did not see anything about pencils and "Gaddafying".

Looks like it took 1/2 hour to straighten that out. I don't see the problem.
edit on 30-1-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroReady

Samurai were not landowners, they were paid in rice

That just is not true, many Samurai were landowners, so you know, pretty sure Wikipedia has nothing to worry about.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarKPenguiN

Originally posted by miniatus

There is a News story (was posted here) from Israel showing how they actually pay citizens to take classes and present "Zionism" (their words) in a good light.

This was something they bragging about- Also paying College Students at Israeli Colleges to "combat" disinformation (again, their words)

The full story with the Video and articles was posted here a couple weeks ago- Its there if you search for it but I am totally unsure what the "keywords" would be since (If I remember correctly) the thread it appeared in wasnt even about the subject.

I was in awe since I thought it was a rumor as well, but this was official video .
EDIT: I googled and found THIS. It isnt the same but still relevant.

EDIT @-- WOW, they pulled that quick =/- Here is the same video from another source. Watch fast.

EDIT 34- OR I am doing something wrong. Heres the link if someone else can try. There is NO WAY it was pulled THAt fast. www.youtube.com... -Sorry for the mess.

There you go.

edit on 30-1-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Well like you I don't think Wiki is a reliable source for SOME information.....A lot is correct....

Who cares if a samurai was paid in drugs? I don't, but I am sure there is some cool TRUE things about a samurai on there.....Read past the BS and find what you are looking for.....If you are looking for what they were paid in, then you got boned going to wiki.....Double check your info elsewhere and you can probably avoid mistakes....Just sayin

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Some people screw with wiki articles as a hobby, waiting to see how long the false or inaccurate information will remain.

Precisely why I do not even bother with wikipedia.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I don't see a problem with using Wikipedia as long as you understand you will need back up sources to verify the information given. If the given sources aren't sufficient, find your own.

You should do the same with any website. Including the ones that are considered reputable. Even the best websites can be hacked, or a simple mistake in wording/information can cause misinformation.

Instead of boycotting Wikipedia, just get into the habit of checking your facts.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
It's almost disrespectful to back up an argument with "that's what it says on Wikipedia."

Although there are some standards when it comes to revising articles on that website they are not as tedious as scholarly journals etc. like you said. I think the general over-reliance on Wikipedia points to the fact that most "netizens" are actually scientifically illiterate. Although there are some summaries of scientific articles biographies etc. on wiki so much gets lost in compression. Before anyone can claim to know anything they must put their own ideas and conclusions through the same (or at least similar) standards of the scientific method. Unfortunately the scientific method gets misrepresented a lot as well.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
when using wiki wacky pedia use it as a quick reference tool then use any library like this one www.mpl.org... or use text search term in your search Eng fast, simple, and easy unless your just in a hurry to get miss info out, or just in a hurry to post the be ready for the old flaming.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

In 2011, people started shoving pencils up other peoples butts and called it "Gaddafying".

I almost pissed myself.....OOOOOH MY F-ing GOD!!!

that was SOO worth clicking on your thread.

You made a funny, yes you did...

thank you from the bottom of my heart. I will not forget this...
edit on 30-1-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
one thing i have noticed about wiki is that some things are fact but taking out of context like this for an example bhoffert.faculty.noctrl.edu... for here it say the did in a way have land as payment , well not exactly from the link

The Kamakura Period
1185-1333
In order to consolidate his power, Yoritomo eliminated all potential rivals, including half-brothers Yo#sune and Noriyori, as well as his son-in-law. He ruled as regent, becoming supreme constable and supreme land steward of all 66 provinces; this allowed him to eliminate earlier problem of tax-free status of the shoen (estates owned by various landlords, especially the court aristocracy in Heian/Kyoto). The situation was similar to European “feudalism” in terms of hegemony (or “dominant influence”) of the shogun (i.e. regent), and the general sense in which the vassal had financial and military obligations to his lord; there were, however, several significant differences:
(i) in Japan, vassals were usually appointed to some office such as “land steward” or “shoen (property/estate) manager,” rather than being given title to the land itself.
see how that can be taken as being payed with land, and not with rice. but with an other search asianhistory.about.com... it says from the link

• The samurai class basically lived on a form of social security. They were paid a set stipend, in rice, and did not get raises for cost-of-living increases. As a result, some samurai families had to turn to the manufacture of small goods like umbrellas or toothpicks to make a living. They would secretly pass these items on to peddlers to sell.
so yes they get paid in rice
edit on 30-1-2013 by bekod because: added link, line edit

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join