It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tragic london marathon runner used stimulant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

A young woman who died in the London Marathon was using a stimulant which has since been banned, an inquest has heard.

The inquest at Southwark Coroner's Court heard that Miss Squires died from acute cardiac failure.On the day of the race, Miss Squires had put Jack3d in her water bottle, the hearing was told.The popular stimulant used to contain an amphetamine-like substance DMAA, and experts say this contributed to her death.DMAA was banned from shelves and internet sales in the UK in August last year over fears it could be lethal when used during rigorous activity.Jack3d since removed the ingredient from their product.The court heard how several US soldiers had died after taking DMAA during training, and it was subsequently banned by the US Army.
Another substance which was easily available,. Despite not being properly tested.

Before the race she had raised £500 but following news of her death, thousands of well-wishers have left donations of more than £1m.

The 30-year-old hairdresser from NorthKilworth, Leicestershire, was running to raise funds for the Samaritans in honour of her brother Grant, who died of a drug overdose in 2001, aged 25.
Full article Sky News We are not talking about a drugs cheat here. This was a young girl who put a scoop of a legal substance (at the time) in her water bottle as she was preparing for a charity run........ Such a tragic waste of life trying to help others. Jacked is used as a weight loss aid and work out booster It contained a controversial substance called dimethylamylamine, or DMAA.
This was marketed in a range of products as a ‘natural’ stimulant, apparently derived from geranium, That could increase performance. Tests revealed DMAA was “known to narrow the blood vessels and arteries, which can elevate blood pressure and may lead to cardiovascular events ranging from shortness of breath and tightening in the chest to heart attack”. Since then jacked has been banned from several countries including Great Britain, The USA and Australia..............

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
So in an effort to raise funds for her brother's drug overdose death... she used drugs?

Darwin Award being chiseled as we speak.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Government all around the world are allowing the sale of unsafe medicines and drugs while banning drugs that have beneficial elements like marijuana.

Very interesting.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Yes, But at that time they were deemed safe and not banned. She used one scoop in her bottle of water in case she "Hit a wall". Chances are she would not of took any if she knew the truth(or should i say Da Truth lol). I know where your coming from though

edit on 30-1-2013 by TheDoctor46 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Its not a drug... its known as a "PRE WORKOUT" It just like caffeine effects people differently.

Maybe she was sensitive to caffeine or just not used to it. The bottle says on all pre-workouts take 1/2 a scoop to determine tolerance.

This taken from the site of Jack3d.

1,3-Dimethylamylamine HCl is also known as Methylhexaneamine or DMAA. It is a naturally-occurring constituute of the geranium plant. This plant has long been in the food supply and has traditionally been used for a wide variety of purposes. This particular constitute is a stimulant that provides energy and focus to the user. This is one of the things that separates Jack3d from the rest, and makes Jack3d the best pre-workout drink out there. 1,3-Dimethylamylamine HCl is safe in small doses. Never exceed recommended dosage and follow directions. Although there are no long-term studies on its usage, it has a long history of safe use. We will stay on the lookout for more information on geranamine. Geranium has been safely used as an herbal supplement for centuries, though.

Not saying this isn't a sad thing, but people should read the label before taking. The Pre-Workout sitting next to me has a long paragraph warning on it, and also states "before using this product consult your physician before taking"

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Supplement is a fancy word for drug.

She knowingly took a drug.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
The company and retailers say that DMAA is a dietary supplement. But some medical experts said it should be classified as a drug, which would require approval from the Food and Drug Administration before it could be marketed. Its definitely a grey area!

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
100% of the supplements that jack3d fell into (pre-workouts) are not regulated by the FDA. Basically you take them at your own risk.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
This is so sad news, but the stimulant was banned for a reason. I'v used Jack3d - the stimulant which the girl used, and can say from my experience that it was a good call to ban it. When I used the substance it was even hard to make conversation due to buzzing so much, the adrenalin was very intense.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

I can believe it. Some sports organizations including the World Anti-Doping Authority, The international body that regulates drug use by Olympic athletes, And several professional sports leagues have listed DMAA as a banned stimulant. In Canada, where the government health agency has classified DMAA as a drug, Companies cannot sell products containing it as a dietary supplement. This tells me theres something fishy about this stuff

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

She put one scoop in her water bottle and said she would only use it if she hit a wall

This probably had a large contributing factor. Jack3d is a PRE-WORKOUT stimulant, to give you the energy you desire to push you that extra mile. Using any stimulant when you have fatigued is just insane, your body has given up for a reason, a stimulant isn't going to change that fact.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Thanks for posting. Sure is interesting to hear from someone who has taken this. Definitely not recommended for a full marathon

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I used DMAA on a regular basis and I never had a problem with it. I used Jack3D until they took the DMAA out, then I just bought it bulk on Ebay. It's a central nervous system stimulant.

The main problem with DMAA is that it is incredibly potent and most people don't understand this. A first timer with the pure DMAA should only use an amount about half the size of the head of a pin like you would find in a sewing kit; the scoop that comes with the bulk stuff is very very tiny. Jack3D had some other stuff like caffeine and beta-alanine in it, but the container always had a huge warning label on it that said people should only take half a scoop for the first several weeks. I don't remember for sure, but it may have had a dosing guide according to body weight. Considering that this girl was a runner I would guess she was very small, probably under 120 lbs. There's no way to know for sure, but she probably slammed a couple full scoops of Jack3D into her tiny body, which is a seriously bad idea. Honestly for someone that size I would never recommend any type of stimulant other than caffeine.

To give it perspective, I'm 190 lb male, and I only used 1 scoop of Jack3D before workouts, and until recently I only used 1 microscoop of the pure DMAA. Not to sound insensitive, but in the correct quantities it is (mostly) safe UNLESS you have preexisting heart or breathing problems. Most cases where people have problems with it, they've failed to read dosage guidelines and just piled scoop after scoop of Jack3D thinking it was like other pre-workout forumulas.

Case in point, I watched a fellow at the gym put 5 scoops of the stuff into his preworkout drink, even after we warned him it was a really bad idea and that he could die; 30 minutes later he was in an ambulance on his way to the ER with heart palpatations. He lived, but just barely. The only reason he lived is because the guy was a beast and had a grade A cardiovascular system.

OK yeah, just saw her picture; probably not even 110 lbs. Here's my advice when considering ANY type of supplement: DO YOUR RESEARCH AND READ LABELS. A 110 lb girl should never have even touched Jack3D, especially after her body was already fatigued. A full scoop of the stuff for a 110 lb girl who had barely used it before was a horrible idea, AND she had a pre-existing heart condition.
edit on 30-1-2013 by StrangeOldBrew because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-1-2013 by StrangeOldBrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
Supplement is a fancy word for drug.

She knowingly took a drug.

Supplement is not a fancy word for drug. Some supplements are/contain drugs, some are not. DMAA is a drug. Whey protein is not a drug, but is a supplement. Omega-3 fish oil is a supplement, but is not a drug.

new topics

top topics

join