It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: College Republican National Committee Theft

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 10:33 PM
link   
An aritcle in the Seattle Times charges that a group named "The College Republican National Committee" has raised $6.3 million -- essentially through harrassing and misleading senior citizens. The article's fairly long, but the last 7 paragraphs will anger most US citizens.
They claim to represent the Republicans. Now, while I'm not a Republican and have no intention of becoming one, I think the best response for the Republican National Convention is to do an aggressive investigation of this.

seattletimes.nwsource.com
Fund-raising group milks vulnerable senior citizens
Copyright 2004, The Seattle Times Co.

By David Postman and Jim Brunner
Seattle Times staff reporters

The College Republican National Committee has raised $6.3 million this year through an aggressive and misleading fund-raising campaign that collected money from senior citizens who thought they were giving to the election efforts of President Bush and other top Republicans.
Many of the top donors were in their 80s and 90s. The donors wrote checks � sometimes hundreds and, in at least one case, totaling more than $100,000 � to groups with official sounding-names such as "Republican Headquarters 2004," "Republican Elections Committee" and the "National Republican Campaign Fund."

But all of those groups, according to the small print on the letters, were simply projects of the College Republicans, who collected all of the checks

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think it's beyond scummy to take advantage of people like this, and the tactics they use to harrass the seniors into paying (until they can barely afford to live) is beyond belief. The organization should be disbanded and the core (and cadre) should be sued down to their toenails.

They're fairly big, and are mentioned in the links below as a "507" (just like the Swift Boat Veterans) But if this is their modus operandi, there needs to be a very big and very quick investigation of this.

Related News Links:
www.herald-sun.com

[edit on 28-10-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
"The College Republican National Committee" has raised $6.3 million -- essentially through harrassing and misleading senior citizens.

The stories in the article are gut wrenching. ...Vulnerable people preyed on - most with debilities. ...So at the same time the Republicans are bilking them, they're denying such debilities exist AND working to take away their right to vote on the grounds of 'mental incompetency.'

Kewl. Not.

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   
You do realize that Democratic organizations are using the exact same tactics right? I've been harassed by Reps and Dems and I dislike both. They both remind me of conversion oriented religious groups trying to either scare or mislead people. Distasteful across the board IMHO. Seems like this would make people want to vote third party... or maybe even rebel altogether, hehe.

new topics

join