It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"There is only now" is not only a spiritual concept. The past is quite literally an illusion.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by nomnom
reply to post by akushla99

Neither is what you perceive.

We do the best with what we've got.

My perception is not in question here...

We all experience time in the same way...the only 'actual' time we can affect, is 'now'...there is a reason for this at this juncture in the comic series...

'We', don't all percieve the same things...patently...and with what 'we' do percieve, I agree, 'we' do the best with what we've got...I'd hate to be color blind red, and discussing what you 'percieve'...would be an interesting discussion...

A99

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by reject
reply to post by kauskau

I bear the physical scars of the past...

I have heard that the body replaces most of it's cells and organs in a certain number of years. That the image of the scar, is actually the new cells replicating the "memory" of the previous cells. So when you see a 15 year old scar, it's actually quite new. The contiguous image is perpetuated by the memories of the cells.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Visitor2012

reply to post by kauskau

I bear the physical scars of the past...

I have heard that the body replaces most of it's cells and organs in a certain number of years. That the image of the scar, is actually the new cells replicating the "memory" of the previous cells. So when you see a 15 year old scar, it's actually quite new. The contiguous image is perpetuated by the memories of the cells.

Quite so!
The persistence of memory writes the blueprint to re-inform the cellular instructions...change the scat-in, and watch what comes out! The consciousness serves itself to distinguish that this is so...either way...

A99

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

No other time will ever be experienced. Awareness is eternally present.

False. What we experience is a product of the mind. The mind can create pictures from this moment, or stored memories and experience it.

Awareness =/= time.

You assume that awareness doesn't require an observer, or that an observer will always be.

This is not evidenced or known. Our science currently leads us to reason that the universe will ultimately be taken ahold by entropy. At this point, the "present" ceases to be.

Awareness is the ultimate observer. Awareness has to be 'present' for any thing to beable to appear.
No thing can appear outside of awareness - which is eternally present.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   

False. What we experience is a product of the mind. The mind can create pictures from this moment, or stored memories and experience it.

When will the pictures created by mind from this moment or from memories be experienced? Can the pictures appear or be viewed any other time but presently?

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 04:33 AM
link   

If time is only "now" then all of mathematical equations which use time are false.

We base many things off these equations. They help many lives, and push the species further and further.

This thread is absolute rubbish.

The best one can say related to time being an illusion is that the exact correctness of time is dependent on relative variables which can't be precisely measured. We have to make our best guesses depending on the instruments used to gather our information, and the processing power needed to give the most accurate assessments, depending on the goal at hand.

What people are showing in this thread is their ignorance.

It's annoying, though understandable.

The mind won't like the idea that there is no time. Without time the mind can't exist - mind is time. Mind is a measuring device. Mind believes in time so it can pretend. The mind pre - tends to a future that does not exist. It constructs make believe time which creates a make believe stage, which in turn creates a make believe person. That make believe person who lives in an imagined time causes all your suffering. This is the human condition.
Only when you realize that you will always be present will your suffering end.
The truth shall set you free.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Okay so basically, Fnord your way into idiotic beliefs by way of circular reasoning.

The "mind" you're talking about is logic. You're saying that the only way to make sense of nonsense is to be mindless.

No thanks. This is delusional dribble. There is obviously know way of getting through to you people.

I refuse to be mindless. Enjoy your slumber, I guess.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Okay so basically, Fnord your way into idiotic beliefs by way of circular reasoning.

The "mind" you're talking about is logic. You're saying that the only way to make sense of nonsense is to be mindless.

No thanks. This is delusional dribble. There is obviously know way of getting through to you people.

I refuse to be mindless. Enjoy your slumber, I guess.

The mind speaks and you hear.
Hearing can only happen presently.

When will the pictures created by mind from this moment or from memories be experienced? Can the pictures appear or be viewed any other time but presently?

Ask yourself these questions, reply with an answer - if you dare. It is easy to say that i speak dribble but examine your experience and see for yourself. Maybe you have never checked to see if you ever experience 'another time'.
Thoughts appear that speak of yesterday - thoughts appear that speak of tomorrow but when do they appear?
edit on 10-2-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

reply to post by CrypticSouthpaw

All of what you mentioned is entirely besides the point. Time is bendable, and relative, however none of that has any bearing on how we experience this plane of existence, whatsoever.

Saying that "there is only now" is 100% false.

This is like telling the IRS that numbers only exist where calculation is involved so they can't possibly fine you, because you choose not to calculate.

That the irresponsible choose not to calculate has no bearing on the fact they owe money. That psychotics are choosing not to identify their being with mass and energy has no bearing on the time we live by.
edit on 9-2-2013 by nomnom because: (no reason given)

To say that any Concept is reality itself, is absurd. Past, Future, and Now are all mind created. And they all require the mind to be perceived. You show me a real past and a real future, and I'll show you an illusion. You show me a Now, and I'll show you an illusion. All we are doing here, is playing mind games with concepts, and words., confusing them with reality.
Reality is a happening, with our witness of it being perceived as time and space. Both are constructs of the mind. But we're confusing reality, with our concept of it. A pretty big mistake to make, when trying to understand Truth.

The concept of the First dimension, does not need the concept of time to exist. The same applies to the concept of the Fourth dimension. Dimensions are perception-based. Each dimension being an arbitrary slice of the perceived whole. They are NOT separate Realities. They are separate perceptions ONLY. Time can only "exist" within a narrow slice of perception. The known Reality ALREADY boxes it in! It can not exist in the 1st dimension perception, nor can it go beyond the third. Beyond Space/Time perception. So time can only be perceived as PHENOMENA, in a limited band of perception, the Third dimension. Time can only be a phenomena of perception, NOT a reality itself.

We've already, scientifically, proven this to ourselves. We've already seen the illusion of our most fundamentally believed ideas of Reality. Scientists have ALREADY discovered the illusion of Time and Space . Yet, many of us, on this forum, are still arguing out-dated concepts. Thinking we are all on the cutting edge of "Denying Ignorance', but quoting old text books and preaching out-dated beliefs.

Einstein said (Years ago), that Past, Present and Future exist simultaneously. He's not saying that they are separate Realities that coexist, he is saying that they are all phenomena of Now.
edit on 10-2-2013 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Well I think that people have lost their memory of how to read history. If they read it with the knowledge that people don't really change much they would be able to improve this world. Can't we learn from our mistakes? Why do we think we are better than our ancestors and the things that happened before can't happen again. Maybe things change a little but overall averaging doesn't change. We keep messing up because of this ignorance and denial that we are the same kind of people as our ancestors.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
for anyone who has lost a loved one, the past is all too real.

they would probably kill you for suggesting his mind just made up a departed loved one if only just to get a point across.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   

for anyone who has lost a loved one, the past is all too real.

they would probably kill you for suggesting his mind just made up a departed loved one if only just to get a point across.

Saying 'the past is not real' is NOT saying it never happened, but that it no longer is an existential Reality. It can only exist as a memory.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join