It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do all mayor cities have a Chinatowns

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Why do so many cities have a "Chinatown", but none have a AfghanTown ,JapanTown,ArabTown,AfricaTown,IrakTown,and so on ?

Like many other communities, the older Chinatowns have their share of social problems. Although Chinatowns are now generally viewed and valued as tourist attractions, their earlier reputation was that of dangerous or dilapidated ghettos and slums, sites of brothels, opium dens, and gambling halls ruled by the Triads .

We all know that the chinese have a very closed community and they dont interact with natives of the countries where they have their precious ChinaTown.
Also in the prisions of al mayor countries you rarely see a chinese.
So i was wondering now with all that is going on in the world.
How dangerous are they ?
We talk about integration of muslims in europe for example ,but nobody talks about the ChinaTowns that are present in every mayor city around the world.
I know for a fact that the buildings in the China Towns are owned by the Triads and this criminal organization has all sorts layers that go all the way to governments ,big ( legal )corporations and so fort..

here is a piece of the wiki about :
International activities

Triads are also active in other regions with significant overseas Chinese populations, apart from the Chinese mainland, Macau, Taiwan and Hong Kong. Triads are known to be operating in countries such as the United States, Canada, Australia, the United Kingdom, Germany, France and Argentina. They are often involved in helping immigrants enter countries illegally. Shanty & Mishra (2007) estimate that annual profits from narcotics is $200 billion; revenues from human trafficking into Europe and the United States are believed to amount to $3.5 billion per year.
Triad (underground society)
Chinatowns Wiki
Chinese mafia’s “state within a state”

So how Power Full are They ?
And should we not put a stop to this?

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by WhySoBlinded

I would propose the reason many of the buildings in those are owned by Triads is the same reason Italian business were owned or "protected" by the mafia in the height of it's power. It's a simple protection racket. The Cosa Nostra used to go way up into local governments in our country at one point, look at the history of Chicago and Atlantic City if you don't believe me. Perhaps the situation is similar with the Triads in Chinese communities.

You answered your own question as to the reason there is a Chinatown in most major cities, among the native Chinese companions I have, they find it difficult to integrate socially in nations that are strange to them, most older and conservative members of their culture tend to operate purely on a business level with outside cultures. Not really dangerous per se, just ostracising.

Most of the younger Chinese-American folks tend to regard that attitude as outdated and "uncool". Often attempting to move away from those areas later in life.

As far as "putting a stop to it", if they're involved in narcotics and human trafficking with Triads we should prosecute them as any other members or enablers of organized crime.
edit on 30-1-2013 by TurtleSmacker because: Clarification

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhySoBlinded
Why do so many cities have a "Chinatown", but none have a AfghanTown ,JapanTown,ArabTown,AfricaTown,IrakTown,and so on ?

The same reasons that most major cities (and some smaller ones) had Italian, Polish, German, Irish, Russian, Jewish, etc., sections, discrimination and the desire to be amongst those of similar backgrounds and upbringing.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I like your observation.

Here in Birmingham UK, we have our own China town..... We also have a Pakistani town, which compramises most of North East Birmingham.

China town is warm, colourful and inviting...If your going to enter Pakistani Town, make sure you go out armed with pepper spray, or a big hunk of a body guard.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Answering the original question rather than the inferences-
There is the practical point that Chinese immigrants arrived in American cities (and London) in larger numbers, making it easier to form a distinct community.
How many nineteenth century American towns had large numbers of Afghans?
Also perhaps more prone to migrate in groups. If migrants from another culture arrive in a town one by one, and there's no existing separate community of their own group, they may be more likely to integrate.

edit on 30-1-2013 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Personally i think that there should be no such thing as a China town.
In Holland we got them in every big City.
In The Heague for example the street was called " De Wagenstraat""

My problem with it is ,that its to closed for governments to understand whats going on there and that the mobsters are extremely rich.

In case a new World war breaks out then what ?

And this article of a wile back in Amsterdam

Chinatown and the Drug Scene

Imagine how power full they are at this moment being present in every mayor city in the world

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Kind of a silly question....my guess? If there were as many Afghans living in major cities as there are Chinese, you would inherently see more "Afghan" Towns....kind of a silly thing to be making an issue out of...

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by LennayTheUndead

mmm.
well the Afghans are a bit different becouse we all know they are being exploited by the west at the moment ( CIA heroine cartel)
and before by the Russians .
As by China is that a different case i think

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   

reply to post by LennayTheUndead

mmm.
well the Afghans are a bit different becouse we all know they are being exploited by the west at the moment ( CIA heroine cartel)

I'm just saying....the reason for neighborhoods such as you are describing, is because there is a high population of heritage x, y or z living there...

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Remember the "Arrested Development" episodes when they showed the Britishtown part of the city that the Bluth's lived in? Like that, only with Chinese.
edit on 30-1-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-1-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Do you not think that the Chinese immigrants were exploited as well? One of the largest populations of Chinese outside of China resides in San Francisco. They are their because a large portion of their ancestors were brought in as very cheap labor to help build the Central Pacific Railroad portion of the Transcontinental Railroad in the 1860's (much to the chagrin of the Irish workers).

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

Yes i do think that the Chinese immigrants are exploited also but by the TRIADS that control this ChinaTowns inside of countries
Thats exactly my point

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Yes i do think that the Chinese immigrants are exploited also but by the TRIADS that control this ChinaTowns inside of countries

The Traids had nothing to do with the example I gave.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Why do so many cities have a "Chinatown", but none have a AfghanTown

Because the Chinese can cook better duck, because they found the six dragon balls, but mostly it's because of the reasons Augustus Masonicus stated in his comment.

Are the Triads in most China towns across the globe? Probably, but how do you know for a fact?

I like China towns. They have nice buildings and good food. Criminal elements are always found, well, just about everywhere.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Groups of Chinese or Asian societies
are no more closed off than
any city in the US under 20,000 people.
Just about all are conservative Christian White towns.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I think China Towns add interest and variety to a city. Chinese architecture is beautiful as well as their women.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
My City has a Japan Town, a Little Italy (North Beach), a Russian Town, Little Saigon, Mexico (lol).

Maybe you're just not noticing them?

The Russian Center...

Japan Town...

Little Italy...

Mexico, the Mission District...

The Mission used to be Irish before WWII.

edit on 1/30/2013 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
You can buy some cool stuff in Chinatown that you can't buy elsewhere in the city, though.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
-Birds of a feather, tend to flock together......

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Little Tokyo, Los Angeles

Little Ethiopia, Los Angeles

Tehrangeles

etc...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join