It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone else wonder what it's like to be "dumb?"

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
Do you work at Dunkin Donuts or McDonald's??

If you do, then all of your intelligent comments are null & void.

If 95% of us worked there, we would feel exactly the same as you.

Let's not be too quick to discount the low skilled worker. A few years back I was feeling a little frustrated, I spent half a day asking everyone I came across, "What is the First Law of Nature?" Out of a couple dozen people, the only person to get it right was a kid at a McDonald's drive-thru window. The most common answer I got was a variation of "Urinate wherever you want."

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
If this isn't a troll thread, then I don't know what is... I personally do not believe it's as intelligent as it say's it is... Good for a laugh though...

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I don't know if I am dumb and I don't know if I am a genius.....
How do we actually rate ones smartness?

I have a neighbour whom does very well in the money games/ business taxes and loopholes/ investments/ you name any money thing and he can rattle off facts till I almost pass out.

The same neighbour above has no idea how to change a spark plug in his snowblower and I kid you not.
I can change the spark plug and change the oil faster than he can ask me to do so.
Does this make me dumb and him smart?

Our local mechanic (Private Garage) makes more money than most Professors and only works the hours he wants or has to.

Is our mechanic dumb?

Anyways you get my drift.

I cannot think of any system that actually is accurate in gauging intelligence.
Drop a Wall Street Professional into the wild he will surely die.
Drop a Mechanic into Wall Street he will surely die.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by catswithbigpaws
In comparison to most people I know, I'm inevitably superior when it comes to intelligence. I have the ability to learn a chapter of vocab in five minutes, ace every math test, ace every test I study for, and so on. I don't know what it's like to study for three hours and get a C. If I do that, I get an A. I don't understand how people can't question authority, think critically about a TV show, etc. It's like my mind segregrates me from the majority of society. I'm proud of my wits, but it's sad how naive and stupid people are. I don't know if it's genetics or lack of educational motivation. Maybe being smart is uncool. Hm. I still question what it's like to have an inferior mind, to have a poor memory, and to have little ability to think for one's self. Also, I do recognize that school ability doesn't really matter, but smart people are probably more likely to understand something than people who aren't smart.

Hopefully I didn't sound arrogant.

What grade are you in that you still have a vocab class? That's so elementary

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
It's egotistical narrow minded jerks like you that make this world and website an unbearable place.
I hope that satisfies you, egomaniac.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alien44
reply to post by kthxbai

I was going to post a response but having seen this post, there's no need. You put it so eloquently I have nothing but one thing to add. When he finally gets visibly old and is still intelligent, they won't believe him no matter how much sense he makes; he'll become invisible and inaudible. That's one time you really start to wonder if you are "dumb"!

Thank you. I put a lot of myself into that one. I appreciate the compliment

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Josephus

The more I learn, the more I learn how little I know. -- Socrates
The more you know, the less you understand. -- Lao-Tse

LOL These quotes are so true. I like saying:

Before college I was stupid enough to think I could do anything. Now I'm smart enough to know I can't do sh$!.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I eat crayons.

(hope this answer suffices)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
I eat crayons.

Not the paper too I hope!....A sure sign of stupidity in my humble opinion.
Glue is much tastier and no wrappers to worry about.

I learned this in junior college.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I have on the contrary to your experience always wondered how it would feel to be good in school.
I was your typical lost kid, who just sat there and comprehended what was taught but I never did my homework nor did I do much work at all in school, but when I did my teachers made an example of me and my papers in front of the other students and I was always proud about that but at the same time, I stayed humble and I still ended up having extremely bad grades because I didn't take school seriously.

The funny thing is, that if I am fascinated by something I can't stop myself from learning more about it.
If I have to learn math in order to understand the subject than it just falls into place without effort, the only problem is that I never learned how to calculate in any other way than with plus, minus, division and multiplication which often makes it a lot slower to calculate things. But I'm not bad at math at all.
I always get the feeling that when I start to talk about things like philosophy, science and so on people get suprised and confused over the fact that I seem to know so much despite my sloppy appereance.
As soon as I start talking about soul and spirituality though, they all look at me like a total idiot!

Also, whatever I get into I tend to get fairly good at. Music, art, writing, sports, video games and languages.

So I guess for me the experience have been the total opposite. I never understood why my friends found the subjects in school to be so interesting but they never get why I am so fascinated by archeology, religion, art, spirituality, astronomy and conspiracy theories.

So I feel inferior in a lot of conventional ways but superior in many others. This I never admit to anyone though.

Sidenote; I think it is important to keep in mind that, at far as I'm concerned, most people are almost at equal intelligence or have the same potential to learn but it all comes down to what we choose to focus on and what we are naturaly fascinated by. There are exceptions on both extremes of the spectrum of course but I think a lot of us are just not interested in widening our world view and wish to stay in our comfort zone of knowledge.

edit on 7-2-2013 by ABeing because: Corrected spelling errors

edit on 8-2-2013 by ABeing because: Added sidenote

edit on 8-2-2013 by ABeing because: Spelling again

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
I eat crayons.

I'm tellin mom!!!!!

Those were my new ones

top topics

<< 1  2   >>