It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FACT CHECK: The Supposed "EO"'s Issued On January, 16, 2013.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+35 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Even though I know that this is like poking a stick into a hornets nest... somebody needs to do it. And since my world is already about as chaotic as it can be. I'll volunteer.

There are reports that the POTUS signed 23 Executive Orders, or Executive Actions ( phrased both ways on different news sites. Even MSM networks and news stations ). The reality is, point blank, that this is not only misleading. It's flat out misrepresentation of fact - IMO to sensationalize and provoke and already agitated public with misinformation.

In the past I have done many threads on the subject of mind control, manipulation, psychological warfare, disinformation, etc.

I am here to tell you that THIS qualifies as a full on psy-op. Sadly one that many, many people are probably going to buy into hook line and sinker because it's grabbing them by the short hairs and rubbing already chafed nerves.

There was NO Executive Order signed on January, 16 2013. Not 23, not 10, not even one. Nor was there anything called an Executive Action - as that term has no legal reality to it.

What WAS signed was a 23 point Presidential Memorandum.

A presidential memorandum is a type of presidential order issued by the President of the United States to the executive branch of the United States government. Presidential memoranda do not have an established process for issuance or publication.[1] Presidential memoranda are generally considered less prestigious than executive orders.[2]

There are three types of memorandum: presidential determination or presidential finding, memorandum of disapproval, and hortatory memorandum.

The entirety of which I will reproduce here:

Presidential Memorandum -- Engaging in Public Health Research on the Causes and Prevention of Gun Violence

MEMORANDUM FOR THE SECRETARY OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES

SUBJECT: Engaging in Public Health Research on the Causes and Prevention of Gun Violence

In addition to being a law enforcement challenge, gun violence is also a serious public health issue that affects thousands of individuals, families, and communities across the Nation. Each year in the United States there are approximately 30,000 firearm-related deaths, and approximately 11,000 of those deaths result from homicides. Addressing this critical issue requires a comprehensive, multifaceted approach.

Recent research suggests that, in developing such an approach, a broader public health perspective is imperative. Significant strides can be made by assessing the causes of gun violence and the successful efforts in place for preventing the misuse of firearms. Taking these steps will improve our understanding of the gun violence epidemic and will aid in the continued development of gun violence prevention strategies.

Therefore, by the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, I hereby direct the following:

Section 1. Research. The Secretary of Health and Human Services (Secretary), through the Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and other scientific agencies within the Department of Health and Human Services, shall conduct or sponsor research into the causes of gun violence and the ways to prevent it. The Secretary shall begin by identifying the most pressing research questions with the greatest potential public health impact, and by assessing existing public health interventions being implemented across the Nation to prevent gun violence.

Sec. 2. General Provisions. (a) Nothing in this memorandum shall be construed to impair or otherwise affect:

(i) the authority granted by law to an executive department or agency, or the head thereof; or

(ii) the functions of the Director of the Office of Management and Budget relating to budgetary, administrative, or legislative proposals.

(b) This memorandum shall be implemented consistent with applicable law and subject to the availability of appropriations.

(c) This memorandum is not intended to, and does not, create any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law or in equity by any party against the United States, its departments, agencies, or entities, its officers, employees, or agents, or any other person.

Sec. 3. Publication. You are hereby authorized and directed to publish this memorandum in the Federal Register.

BARACK OBAMA

Source

Just to be clear, here is a link to the White House Executive Orders page and one to the Federal Register of the National Archives.

Again. NO EXECUTIVE ORDER WAS SIGNED.

There are those who will say that I am making excuses for the bad man. That I am some sort of traitor with an agenda. Probably even worse.

I reply simply with the following. If we are going to launch ourselves into an internal war that will mark and stain not just us, but our children, for the remainder of our lives, then let it be for real trespasses and NOT an emotional reaction to perceived trespass.

In reviewing the 23 items listed in the Memorandum I can see NO BAN, NO LIMITATION, NO NEW LAW, AND NO RESTRICTION UPON FREEDOM. All I see are a list of orders for reports, studies, and enforcement of current law.

The BS really needs to stop. The stakes are too high for us, as a nation, to, pardon the expression, be going off half cocked.

~Heff

edit on 1/30/13 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I applaud you sir......

I will admit, I am guilty....when I first heard about this, I like so many others was under the impression of "EO" by the MSM so I allowed myself to think that.

Later, on some show, there was a guy explaining the same thing that you are now....that it was NOT an EO that he signed. Since then, I have backed off on that issue. But I will use this thread for reference if need be in the future.

Thanks~
snarky

S&F

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Back pedaling by this administration?

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
A Presidential memorandum "is" an Executive action. He is the Chief Executive and he issued a memorandum and anyone he has authority over in the executive branch is obligated to do anything the CEO tells them.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Actually the term used as an alternative to "Presidential Memorandum" is "Presidential Letter". Not action. But I'll play Devils advocate. Let's assume that it's more than even an EO. Let's say it's got the levity of a commandment from the great I Am.

Exactly what freedom does any of the above 23 items curtail or remove?

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   

What you posted is only one action he promised to do on the 16th. There are 23 things he promised to do all are executive actions there are more memorandums etc. How many he has done so far I don't know and we are not sure exactly what he signed in the 16th what ever it was it was symbolic.

List of executive actions Obama plans to take as part of anti-gun violence plan
Published January 16, 2013
FoxNews.com
The following is a list, provided by the White House, of executive actions President Obama plans to take to address gun violence.
1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
11. Nominate an ATF director.
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
ETA: List was already posted by Hawkiye.............
SOURCE

Of course, in their title, they use Executive Order but after reading them, I don't see any thing bad about them.
So why the scare tactics with the MSM about him signing away peoples gun rights???? He didn't......

I am a hard critic of Obama. Voted for him in 2008 but not this time. I don't care for his policies or his handling of foreign affairs. Terrible leader IMO. But I will say in his defense that these seem logical and reasonable. We do need to fix the loop holes and manage the mental issues better than they were handled before.

I believe it's his sudden attack on gun control itself that have many unsure of his motives.

edit on 30-1-2013 by snarky412 because: Deleted the 23 articles some else posted...........oops

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
My apologies. When I was posting this I had about a dozen tabs open and in my copy/paste process I thought that I'd included the breakdown of the 23. So thank you both for posting it.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   

13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.

#13.................prosecute gun crime

Hmmmm, so you would think AG Eric Holder would be subjected to the same laws as us common folk for his Fast&Furious scandal.

NOT.........

As I said in another thread, these guys can break all kinds of laws and get by with it.
There is only one Achilles heal for a politician...............the "other woman"
Gets them every time.......

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes

Oh I for one, cannot wait for my Dr. to ask me about the guns in my home! I already have a list made out to read off to him..

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Oh I can see why it is to a presidents benefit to have a background in law! That memorandum was really fun stuff to read heff! I think it may have cured my insomnia!

I think for the most part I got the jist of it and no it doesn't seem terribly scary. Just all those boring sentence structures and legal jargon...now that's scary!

But seriously, what I want to know is why is the MSM spooking the bejesus out of people by making it seem a lot more terrible than it actually is?

Possible reasons:

Ratings?
Ignorance or lack of research/understanding of the memorandum itself?
Agenda of fear to fan the flames?
Possibly a combo of all these and other ones I can't think of?

I'm curious as to why you think it is a psyop?

I will go back over the memorandum later and make sure I did in fact understand it properly, and perhaps it is my own lack of education in legal terminology and my sudden sleepiness that has me confused, but if I am understanding it correctly, it does not go half as far overboard as what is being hyped up in the media and here on ats.

Right now I am too tired to be sure, so "ich muess schlafe' geh'n" ( time for bed!) and when I start thinking in German it means its really time for bed! Thanks so much for this tasty tidbit for me to ponder and thanks for fixing my sleep problem

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Number 2 and number 16 and the one mentioning the CDC are all of concern. EO number 2 basically means they want to circumnavigate doctor/patient confidentiality to get doctors to squeal on an patients that own guns. Doctors could get inscentives and a doctors word could be gold in determining that an individual civilian should lose their right to bear arms. 16 is along the same lines, and we saw the first example in Chicago. A doctor tricking a parent out of the room so they could nose around and ask the child about the parents gun. This could and almost definitely will lead to doctors reporting parents and patients to the police over concerns of depression and gun ownership or concerns they may own a gun they didn't go through the governments preferred channels to acquire regardless of the legality. This will erode quality of healthcare by destroying trust and taking the focus off of healing.

Then you have the EO about the CDC (i forgot the number on the list). This brings up other concerns. The CDC if doing their job might determine SSRI meds are connected to violence and thus gun violence (they almost certainly are), BUT the CDC isn't going to out their buddies/higher ups in the CDC so they will certainly draw the secondary/lesser connection. For example "Well they all have these anti-depressants in common, but we can't call that out.. what else do they have in common? DUH!! Depression!" And so rather than raising the concerns and being honest about SSRI's effects we may see a push to control anyone who becomes depressed access to firearms and in fact people who are depressed for a time may be forever labeled as such and lose their right along with the mentally ill and felons. Actually they may just say anyone that has been depressed for any amount of time is mentally ill. Who knows. It's possible, and I would lean towards likely in the future.

There are scary implications. As a further stretch and unlikely, but I wouldn't feel right not tossing in some conspiracy ideas for people to mull over. If it was determined that people prescribed SSRI's shouldn't own guns (again unlikely outing big pharma) then doctors with prior knowledge of a patients guns could suggest this treatment and that the patient is clinically depressed. Essentially they aren't retroactively taking guns, but are retroactively making patients fail the background checks. Again this last example is my stretch example.

There are some bad things in these EO's. I would venture to say the others are garbage to cloud these three I am mentioning because they are the most likely to change our freedoms.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I applaud you as well.

I (and a few others) have been saying this ever since Obama released this, but kept getting shut down by the "fanatics". You are very much respected on this site, so maybe they will listen to you.

I blame the NRA and Alex Jones for hyping these 23 "actions" as some kind of attempt by Obama to be an "evil dictator". You can disagree with Obama's policies and ideologies, but these 23 items are nothing more than an attempt to make people feel better after the Newtown tragedy. There's absolutely no "meat" in any of it. No new laws -- no modification of any existing laws.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye

What you posted is only one action he promised to do on the 16th. There are 23 things he promised to do all are executive actions there are more memorandums etc. How many he has done so far I don't know and we are not sure exactly what he signed in the 16th what ever it was it was symbolic.

List of executive actions Obama plans to take as part of anti-gun violence plan
Published January 16, 2013
FoxNews.com
The following is a list, provided by the White House, of executive actions President Obama plans to take to address gun violence.
1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
11. Nominate an ATF director.
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

and why can't we get this list from....

the White House itself instead of FauxNews ?? why list Fox instead of original source .. ??

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

and why can't we get this list from.... the White House itself instead of FauxNews ?? why list Fox instead of original source .. ??

The FORBES SITE has the same exact list.

I had posted it earlier but hawkiye beat me to it.....so I deleted mine.

--------------------------------------

ETA: WHITEHOUSE.GOV
edit on 30-1-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Doctors have ALWAYS had the right - the duty -- to ask if there are guns in the home when they have a patient they feel is a threat to themselves or to others. Nothing new there. Doctors have ALWAYS had the duty to report someone they feel is a threat - doctor/patient confidentiality is legally waived here - nothing new there.

As for the CDC study -- why don't we wait for the actual results of the study before we start spreading panic and paranoia.

edit on 30-1-2013 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   

On the surface everyone is talking about how sweet and wonderful this all is..however I feel this is just a stepping stone, getting ready for the next step...I would like to look at this sweet little list

1. What agency is he talking about? The fbi is running the show on the system now...using the ncic and state databases to check criminal history...I feel that he most likely talking about medical records. A national database with all your medical info going to it.

2. Again states already report all criminal history into the system..so what is he refering to here? Has to be a medical system...my guess is dept of health and your HIPPA rights...

3. Again...all criminal info already goes to the FBI from the states..so what is he talking about here?

4. Am betting this will tie into a report that comes from the cdc.. about guns and mental health .

5. Going to be a medical database check of some sort...any law enforcement officer in any state can run a full criminal background check in minutes already...N.C.I.C. was set up for that very reason.

NCIC is a computerized indexof criminal justice information (i.e.- criminal record history information, fugitives,stolen properties,missing persons). It is available to Federal,state,and local law enforcement and other criminal justice agencies and is operational 24 hours a day,365 days a year
FBI

6. Shows that they will be resticting private sales in some way.. if I want to sell a gun to my best friend we will have to go to a dealer and run background checks...this shows that they pretty much expect to get this one thru congress??

7. PR crap...Feel good measure, I can live with it, but it will do no good.....think the say no to drugs campaign slowed down drug use?

8. Ok..?? Guess a safe is not a safe till they check and see if it's a safe....but whatever...will do nothing to curb violence or crime..

9. Shows there will be a federal database of gun registration....not going to sit well with, we the people
Again must be pretty sure this will pass congress.

10. Information already available unless I am missing something.

11. Ok ATF has had an acting director since 2006, all the nominees he has had before have been shot down by congress....Mr. jones...his nominee choice has been acting since 2011... another with fast and furious ties...hope congresss does it's job on this one..

12. First good idea yet...in fact there is a thread here on ATS working on that very topic...been up for quite a while now and has produced some great ideas...It is a brain child of super mod Advisor

13. Could mean about anything, but I hope they start with eric holder and that bunch..

14. Ok this one worries me...and here is why...do a little research about what the CDC can do during an epidemic, etc...then take a look at when the new fema corp citizen army can be used...there is alot of bad things that can come out of this one.. and I can save them alot of time and money.....the cause of gun violence is......violent people
same as any other sort of violence..

15. This is where the marked ammo will come in..as well as the RFID rings etc... could result in something good coming from private sector...

16. Now here we go....and just where is the good DR. Going to report his findings? Think about this for a second...let's say you have a 5 year old daughter that comes home from school sick....so you take her to the dr..
during the exam...you hear the good doc ask...so do mommy and daddy have guns in the house? Do you know where the guns are? . Do guns scare you? Think what will happen if that child says she is afraid of guns...like alot of small children would....betcha wouldn't be long before child welfare is knocking on your door wanting to have a little chat.... ..this one is bad all over....but they need the info for the database..

17.. they already know this...but whatever

18. Great idea....they loved it back when clinton started it years ago....they hated the idea when NRA mentioned it recently

19. Need. To add malls and theators and sporting events and concert venues and political rallies and so on

20. Ok??? Trust me..have you ever been to any sort of medical/ mental health office...them folks know exactly what is covered...it's how they get paid....

21. Finalize??? Wasnt ACA already voted on etc????

22. And this tells us what?

23. Could be a good thing....except CDC is going to say all gun owners are crazy

Anyway that is my 2 cents worth, some pretty tame things there....and some that should make everyone pucker.

edit on 30-1-2013 by okiecowboy because: Typo

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412
reply to post by Komodo

and why can't we get this list from.... the White House itself instead of FauxNews ?? why list Fox instead of original source .. ??

The FORBES SITE has the same exact list.

I had posted it earlier but hawkiye beat me to it.....so I deleted mine.

--------------------------------------

ETA: WHITEHOUSE.GOV
edit on 30-1-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

thx snarky,
posting from work on break makes for linited time to look stuff up..

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   

I have been saying this since the DAY he signed it, but I was scoffed. ONE item he signed. I watched him sign it and thought... if this were 23 EOs (as the NRA, GOP and FOX would like us to think), he would have signed 23 times, for one thing.

People just fall for the propaganda so easily.

Thanks for posting this.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Excellent thread. One we really needed.

In the words of my home boys....." true dat"

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join