What is this?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I was outside looking at the sky, when I see this object...I run in and get my camera and zoom in on the object - but my camera can't see the object(I later realized my camera wasn't focusing properly). Since I'm farsighted, I get my glasses and put them on. I finally get a better view of the object, and it looks like a star or planet. Also, I opened up my iPhone app "Planets" and pointed my phone to the object. It looks like Jupiter again, but I'm not particularly sure. Any help would be appreciated.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by blahxd67

I know a large comet is to be coming by around February, though I don't know if that could be what you are seeing (atleast head on). It could be Jupiter as you stated, or even a star... Heck, it could even be an asteroid or something else.

Looks like a giant flying blue taco to me, my bets are on comet.
edit on 29-1-2013 by VoidFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidFire

I know a large comet is to be coming by around February, though I don't know if that could be what you are seeing (atleast head on). It could be Jupiter as you stated, or even a star... Heck, it could even be an asteroid or something else.

Whatever it is...it didn't visibly move. Do asteroids/comets visibly move through the sky?

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Comets tend to move very slowly and last a while( in the night sky),I remember seeing the Hale-Bopp Comet back when I was 6/5(?).
edit on 29-1-2013 by VoidFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Umm, with no frame of reference here, it could be anything. The "sky" is quite big when you think about it, perhaps a direction you were looking may be more helpful (with your location and time as well if possible). Do you have the original untouched photo with exif data? That may have more info to work with, or some other tangible data to work with in the scene such as other stars. As it stands, you've got a pixelated snowball, or a reflection off a window at night, or a badly focussed moon....
edit on 29-1-2013 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Helpful information:
Time (GMT would be best)
Your approximate location (given that, local time will suffice)
Direction from your location of the object (N, S, E, W is good. The more accurate the better)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Qumulys

Umm, with no frame of reference here, it could be anything. The "sky" is quite big when you think about it, perhaps a direction you were looking may be more helpful (with your location and time as well if possible). Do you have the original untouched photo with exif data? That may have more info to work with, or some other tangible data to work with in the scene such as other stars. As it stands, you've got a pixelated snowball, or a reflection off a window at night, or a badly focussed moon....
edit on 29-1-2013 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

I have the original photo. I can email it to you. And, I was outside. No reflections. It's not the moon.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Well as far as I know you can only see an asteroid when it's extremely close. Depending on size of course. But the asteroid y'all are thinking of is coming by on feb. 15th. Its supposed to be somewhere around 35000 km from earth, which is a wee bit close for comfort haha. As far as your picture it could be too many things to really speculate. Living under the stars for 2 and a half months I saw lots of crazy stuff in the sky. Stars moving all over the sky. At first I thought it was a satellite but it changed course and speeds. I saw them as angels, but others call em UFOs lol. But they were just white stars moving all over the sky. Almost every night

www.timeslive.co.za...

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Helpful information:
Time (GMT would be best)
Your approximate location (given that, local time will suffice)
Direction from your location of the object (N, S, E, W is good. The more accurate the better)

Time: 11:51PM
Approx. location: Pennsylvania.
Direction: 307 degrees NW.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   
What's This ! What's This ! IT's magic in the air ! What's this What's this !!!! is it Jupiter or is it mars or possibly the STARS!? It's right before my eyes!!! oh gosh i can't see it!! , it's so bite ! WHAT IS THIS !!!!!!
edit on 30-1-2013 by LightningStrikesHere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Looks like a marshmallow, but I could be wrong.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I don't understand why some members insist on posting snide comments, especially when someone is only making a simple, honest, inquisition for information. The OP didn't make any unfounded claims nor speculations, only posed a question, to a reading base of some highly intelligent members at that, because they didn't know the answer. Why can't this be appreciated instead of ridiculed?
Even in small remarks, its unnecessary.
How is anyone supposed to deny ignorance (as so many here can be quick to quote) when attempting to gets the type of response as the above posters? (Sky and marshmallow posts) Just because something seems irrelevant or trivial or obvious to you does NOT dictate the same from everyone else. Sigh.
To OP, wish I knew the answer to ur post, I'm sure with Phage on scene you shall get it soon =) Good thread.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by crystalLibra
I don't understand why some members insist on posting snide comments, especially when someone is only making a simple, honest, inquisition for information. The OP didn't make any unfounded claims nor speculations, only posed a question, to a reading base of some highly intelligent members at that, because they didn't know the answer. Why can't this be appreciated instead of ridiculed?
How is anyone supposed to deny ignorance (as so many here can be quick to quote) when attempting to gets the type of response as the above posters? (Sky and marshmallow posts) Just because something seems irrelevant or trivial or obvious to you does NOT dictate the same from everyone else. Sigh.
To OP, wish I knew the answer to ur post, I'm sure with Phage on scene you shall get it soon =) Good thread.

It bothers me too when people make jokes, or ridicule when someone is genuinely interested in what they found and then posts it on here. I mean, it makes you think...how many people are hiding amazing finds because they fear they might get ridiculed.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   

So true... if ridicule wasn't a possible (even very likely) immediate response then people might just actually communicate better, learn more, understand more, judge less, etc... one day right... =)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 04:26 AM
link   

just as i don't understand why you feel its an opportune time to go off topic ? just as i am doing now by addressing your concern , everyone has a right to speak their thought's just as you did here , however i don't feel the OP has an issue with the comment nor mine therefore why are you concerned? let's not take it to heart and stay focused otherwise this thread will derail , with that said if you would like to counter my opinion i would humbly ask you to message me so we can discuss it behind the scenes .

now to get BACK on topic , OP my first post on your their was a reaction from the title , the title reminded me o the song from "the nightmare before Christmas" and Honestly i have no idea what could be in your photo , but knows this that many things in the sky are unexplained , just as i have seen some things i can't explain my self , but let this be a tool to drive you for future answers and research my good man , and thank you for the post

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   

(Sky and marshmallow posts)

The "sky" comment was valid. When you only say "I saw something in the sky, what is it?" and post a picture of a blurry blob, there isn't much anyone can do to help you. The sky is big, and as the Earth rotates on its axis, celestial objects change position. What you see in the sky also depends on your location on Earth. So knowing where you are, what time you took the picture, and in what direction you were looking, are extremely helpful in identifying the object.

That said, I ran Stellarium set for Pennsylvania and the time specified by OP, and I have nothing in NW. Jupiter was in the west, so if we approximate the time and direction of view even more, that could have been Jupiter.

I advise the OP and everybody else who haven't done so, to download and use Stellarium. www.stellarium.org...

Also see this stickied topic: www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 30-1-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   

As much info as possible with posts like these camera for a start , post pic with exif data if possible , time rough location and direction facing also elevation of the object in the sky also helps, remember people on here from all over the world.
edit on 30-1-2013 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by blahxd67

It bothers me too when people make jokes, or ridicule when someone is genuinely interested in what they found and then posts it on here. I mean, it makes you think...how many people are hiding amazing finds because they fear they might get ridiculed.

Don't read to much into it, you were obviously excited by your picture, but if you thought a bit more before posting you would have realised that more information is required this place has a world wide membership different time zones, different sky from you.

There are to many posts on here of lights in the sky with little or no information that's why sarcasm is often used in replies.

You cant have enough info as stated by various people.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008

Originally posted by blahxd67

Don't read to much into it, you were obviously excited by your picture, but if you thought a bit more before posting you would have realised that more information is required this place has a world wide membership different time zones, different sky from you.

There are to many posts on here of lights in the sky with little or no information that's why sarcasm is often used in replies.

You cant have enough info as stated by various people.

Remember though, I didn't claim it was an alien spacecraft or anything. I wasn't "excited" by my picture. I was simply wondering what it was. I found something of interest and then posted it here to get more information on it. I tend to leave out information by accident. If people detect that, they can simply ask for the information, rather than making sarcastic remarks. It seems more effective and efficient on energy use on doing that, instead of making those remarks.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace

(Sky and marshmallow posts)

The "sky" comment was valid. When you only say "I saw something in the sky, what is it?" and post a picture of a blurry blob, there isn't much anyone can do to help you. The sky is big, and as the Earth rotates on its axis, celestial objects change position. What you see in the sky also depends on your location on Earth. So knowing where you are, what time you took the picture, and in what direction you were looking, are extremely helpful in identifying the object.

That said, I ran Stellarium set for Pennsylvania and the time specified by OP, and I have nothing in NW. Jupiter was in the west, so if we approximate the time and direction of view even more, that could have been Jupiter.

I advise the OP and everybody else who haven't done so, to download and use Stellarium. www.stellarium.org...

Also see this stickied topic: www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 30-1-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

There's not much I can do if I only have a picture of a blurry blob. The object was faraway and hard to catch. It took quite a bit for my camera to focus on the object. I have stellarium, but didn't have access to it.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join