It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Two Weeks This 50-Meter Asteroid Will Buzz Our Planet

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Wrabbits post above was not based off of DA-14s actual data though, he even says so in his post. That it was based off all the potential worst case scenarios for said object.

For instance he used the absolute maximum for it's density, not DA-14's density, he used maximum velocity, not DA-14s actual velocity. You need to learn to read posts before you reply to them, Wrabbit portrayed an Absolute worst case scenario, for specifications and impact, and even still it's not that bad.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by bg_socalif

Since it's been awhile since Elenin, Honda and all the other little beasties that flew by or were supposed to go by some time ago I thought it might help to post a bit more info. The distance for this one is why people keyed on it.

Of course the media would make Mt Everest out of an Ant Hill in Africa if it would get ratings and sell papers ...but I think this WOULD be a real serious concern if it were considerably larger than it is. Still...

Geosynchronous Orbit is out around 22,000 miles altitude and where some commercial satellites live.

One report under 15,000 miles / 24,000 Kilometers

So, basically, I'd call it close to the margin of error or...if someone missed the fact there was another one out there that HIT this one and changed it's course just a wee bit...Well? iiiiiicoming! lol....

I laugh only because this IS that small and as the post above mine here notes, my simulator results were the scary nightmare version which still isn't that bad if you aren't under it. What I also didn't mention was that we're still a planet of mostly water and odds something even hits land (let alone a populated city are running pretty long on the best of days.

I did find a neat graphic to illustrate the issue though.

Hope that helps!

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

Or well I better put my catching glove back in wardrobe then ain't I disappointed that it can't be seen by naked eye too or well I'm sure there will be plenty of photos and videos online of it if not
(I'll just Google ufo day after cause you all know that people will be saying it's aliens)

<< 1   >>

join