It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia man guns down immigrant after GPS sends him to wrong driveway

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Georgia man guns down immigrant after GPS sends him to wrong driveway

www.rawstory.com

A 69-year-old war veteran and former missionary was arrested over the weekend on the suspicion of killing a 22-year-old Cuban immigrant who mistakenly arrived in his driveway because of faulty GPS directions.

Gwinnett County jail records obtained by The Atlanta Journal Constitution indicated that Phillip Walker Sailors was charged on Sunday with the murder of Rodrigo Abad Diaz.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+16 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
This is just one more unfortunate case of America's gun culture. This is also an example as to why "shoot them" is not always the answer. Just because a car pulls up in your driveway, it doesn't mean they are there to kill/attack/rob you.

This is where mental health and gun ownership collide...this man wasn't clinically insane...but he did share a common trait among gun owners and that is extreme and illogical paranoia. This man's paranoia drove him to murder an innocent man.

If you are that paranoid that everyone is out to get you, the last thing you should have is a gun in your possession.

www.rawstory.com

+22 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by xedocodex

We are talking about one person out of 7 Billion aren't we?

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

www.ajc.com...

From the article: "Two callers to 911 reported two gunshots and loud screams. One of the callers said a man could be heard yelling, ‘Why was someone trying to get inside [his] house.”

I'll reserve judgement.

+22 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by xedocodex

This is where mental health and gun ownership collide...this man wasn't clinically insane...but he did share a common trait among gun owners and that is extreme and illogical paranoia.

www.rawstory.com

yea with over 300 million privately owned guns, and with a common trait being what you suggested you'd think this would happen all the time...

OH wait thats because the majority of private gun owners are responsible and "sane", this is no different than allowing crazy grand pa to drive his caddy down to the local market and take out a crowd when he misplaces the gas for break.

But again I guess you just exhibit that common information Bias that seems to plague anti gun people (i mean since we are throwing around generalities and all.)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I saw this earlier and decided it was just a crazy old man..

nothing to do with gun control

but I do think the old man should go to jail you cant shoot first and then ask what their doing

+11 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Your wasting your time OP.

If Ive learnt anything from this site its that gun owners dont care and everyone else already knows.

If your American join whatever you have in the way of the Anti NRA, if your not American just be thankful there arent a 100+ million armed extremists walking around your country.

Telling armed Yanks guns are bad is like telling a hardcore Muslim that the Koran is BS, best case scenario is a pointless argument with someone who has made up their mind regardless of common sense.

S&F anyway

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by xedocodex

This is just one more unfortunate case of America's gun culture. This is also an example as to why "shoot them" is not always the answer. Just because a car pulls up in your driveway, it doesn't mean they are there to kill/attack/rob you.

This is where mental health and gun ownership collide...this man wasn't clinically insane...but he did share a common trait among gun owners and that is extreme and illogical paranoia. This man's paranoia drove him to murder an innocent man.

If you are that paranoid that everyone is out to get you, the last thing you should have is a gun in your possession.

www.rawstory.com

1. Extreme illogical paranoia is not common among gun owners. Maybe a little indoctrinated dissent has created this paradigm of normalcy bias, being that you may have not found yourself in a position to defend yourself and politicians are ramming it down the throats of people that people don't need guns. But police do? Well, the police aren't always going to be there. Threats are very real, and guns save lives. Life happens.

This is also an example as to why "shoot them" is not always the answer.

Agreed, and every responsible gun owner knows this. Just because an individual owns or carries a gun, does not imply some notion that to "shoot them" is the answer. Not worth addressing further.

3. If he was clinically insane, then I agree that he should not possess guns. Being that he was clinically insane, this is where the extreme paranoia comes in.

Why choose this story, and make a 'gun control' hit piece out of it? If you want suggestions as to how to exploit tragedies, please watch more MSM, because you failed.

+6 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
it's not the first case of an american shooting someone on his property.

i think every american should watch a western starring robert duvall on how to handle someone stepping on your property.

it's starts off by you stepping on your porch and saying 'can i help you' while you are holding your shotgun.

if he's says he's lost, you give him directions, help him, tip your hat and say "hasta luego".

if he approaches you, you level your shotgun and say "take one more step and you'll find out what a scatter gun full of buck shot feels like".

if he still is approaching you, shoot one way over his head to show you mean business and make sure you don't hit anybody behind him.

the wrong thing to do is crap your pants in fear and start shooting every unarmed person that pulls up to your drive way.

that's murder.

edit on 29-1-2013 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes

Actually pointless shooting are pretty common in America.

300 people are shot every single DAY!

So glad I wasn't brown skinned with a faulty GPS on my trip to America.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Ok...so what is your point?

This person who was murdered isn't important enough to talk about?

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Foundryman

www.ajc.com...

From the article: "Two callers to 911 reported two gunshots and loud screams. One of the callers said a man could be heard yelling, ‘Why was someone trying to get inside [his] house.”

I'll reserve judgement.

This person was shot while inside his car, that is not in dispute.

There were 2 other people in the car who witnessed this...but of course you don't want to admit that this person was just shot down in cold blood because their GPS brought them to the wrong house.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by polarwarrior

and some 3000 a day dies from a heart attack, good thing you didn't load up on Mc Donalds or that might of got you too.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by retirednature

This is where mental health and gun ownership collide...this man wasn't clinically insane...but he did share a common trait among gun owners and that is extreme and illogical paranoia.

Funny the one common trait exhibited by gun control advocates is extreme paranoia of lawful gun owners........

Which of those two sentences has proven to be more accurate........

Yours or mine?

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
This man should be charged with murder and should spend the rest of his life in jail. His actions are utterly inexcusable. Just as horrible as Byron Smith who shot two unarmed teenagers - one male and one female - in November like an execution and is proud of it.

My bet would be that this Phillip Sailors guy saw a car of Cubans and shot based on their race. If it were a car load of young white people would have done the same thing? He shot in the air to warn them - which in itself is an incredibly dangerous and stupid thing to do not to mention illegal in most states - to which the victim tried to flee, not fight back and he was shot in the head.

The guy has no defence. He needs to be made an example of. After the first shot was fired, any sane human being could see that any perceived, reasonable threat is gone, therefore there was absolutely no need to fire a second time directly at the car. Lock this nut job up and throw away the key. He’s making genuine gun owners look like fools. Certainly not helping with this gun control nonsense.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

My point is that the OP labelled every gun owner as a lunatic. You may agree with him but that's just your opinion man.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

and some 3000 a day dies from a heart attack, good thing you didn't load up on Mc Donalds or that might of got you too.

The sad thing is both of these causes of death are preventable, but nothing is being done to prevent either of them. Also, in the case of heart attacks, most people brought it on themselves by an unhealthy diet and lifestyle - they weren't forced to be obese by somebody else. This poor guy didn't get a choice in whether or not he would be shot.

edit on 29/1/13 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Heart attacks are not murder though are they? No matter how many people die of other causes, it doesn't make murder acceptable.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   

My point is that the OP labelled every gun owner as a lunatic. You may agree with him but that's just your opinion man.

OP said it's a common trait, and it is. That's not labelling all gun owners.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   

common trait among gun owners and that is extreme and illogical paranoia

Got any proof to back that? Or is that just the opinion of another anti gun fanatic, grasping at any reason to dis arm the lawful gun owner?

edit on 29-1-2013 by DAVID64 because: spelling

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join