It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

can you describe "enlightenment" in one sentance...what is it to you?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
i was just reading a thread on enlightenment...and how a member here thinks he achieved it

then i started wondering about the psy-ops invloved in achieving this
i heard horror stories about monks and their ordeals in reaching enilghtenment.

BUT WHAT IS IT??

in one sentance, i want your perspective on what enlightenment means

i gaurantee, the percpectives will be completely unique and individual

i will start...
btw my opinion came to me recently......

"enlightenment is when a person shares the soul of the sun, in ancient ideology, a divine ruler"

so my theory is that it cant be achieved...so what have the monks been working on lol

love to see your perspective....dont be shy

peace

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

I was just talking to my husband about this last night!!

I feel enlightenment will be reached upon death.

Or if your enlightened then you wouldn't need any earthly possessions...you would be free from the restrains of this world.

My most humble opinion....point of view....my own.

Peace and love
~nat
I enjoy your opinion as well....

It's all an illusion
edit on 29-1-2013 by natalia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Enlightenment can be achieved by understanding your own ego, where thus by understanding your own ego you will begin to understand the people who are among you all while staying true to it's enlightenment form by being completely humble as possible.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I suppose I'd consider it to be something like this:
A state of wisdom and knowledge not corrupted by mistruths and misunderstandings, as well as a freedom from all negative feeling such as anger, pride, etc etc.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Enlightenment is the art of union with the Absolute.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Enlightenment is an ideal spiritual state some attempt to attain. When they believe they've reached enlightenment, even though they have no clue what they're looking for, all they've achieved is a different way of looking at things.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Yes, I can.

It's new age stuff.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSubversiveOne

good answers

but your one....this is my point

how can you look for something that you dont know what it is??

though i agree with the other posters about recognising your weaknesses
but is that enlightenmet...

but even jedis are born, not made lol

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

a previously undisclosed state of being appropriately perceptive of constituents regarding the act of Actual Action Itself.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
i'll tell you if i ever find out, though i suspect you'd lol at me incessantly and tell me that the dates were waay out

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Realizing the 'reality' that surrounds you is a fabrication purposely created to divide you in every aspect. Your ego, wants, hate, lust & misunderstandings are all a manifestation of this forced 'reality'.

Nice thread

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

how can you look for something that you dont know what it is??

You contrive it and pretend that you found it.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   

When you split the semantics of different vernacular, Of course he isn't enlightened. But I would say that if he has the guts to come on here and try to speak from the heart, which is one of the 7 pins on the wheel of Buddhism's Path to Enlightenment, to help those who aren't Enlightened, I would say he is. Just because he is enlightened, not illuminated which is a concept of the Illuminati, doesn't mean he can:

1. Can bend time and space
2. Answer every question ever
3. Hold back his ego from answering questions his enlightened self should be answering.

It's all a process, in which, I feel, from where I am sitting, this guy has an understanding of. Achieving enlightenment isn't the same as being the most powerful, but it's coming to terms with who you are without the baggage of negative thoughts and actions, and starting to make the effort to be the best you can be. Call it what you will, but I believe that Enlightenment is action of becoming truthful with reality, not hiding behind what you think you know. That wasn't so much doubt I felt by saying he may not be Enlightened, but more of an "I'm not finished with being enlightened" statement in which he can never stop learning reality in the process of Enlightenment. Enlightened also doesn't mean perfect. The state of Enlightenment has always been a question since it originated, and one who is, can answer the questions of it. Not Someone who is not. Feel free to correct me OP. But another person denying ignorance is just what we need; Enlightened.

That's what I posted on his thread. Of course we can all describe it in our own vernacular. But again, It's something that we must process with our reality to get the feedback from reality, to see what steps to take to make ourselves better. I wish it was a state of nothingness in which we can leave earth, but we will leave earth when we leave it. If you didn't have to define what God was, and just worked towards your feeling of God, being an absolute, divine, and Loving aspect, you aren't held back by the semantics of it.
edit on 29-1-2013 by Mythfury because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Here ya go:

"Know Thyself."

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Enlightenment is knowing nothing about everything...

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Enlightenment is joy and release from the burden of self.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Age of Enlightenment, period in Western history and its corresponding movement
Enlightenment (spiritual), insight or awakening to the true nature of reality
Enlightenment in Western secular tradition
Enlightenment in Buddhism
Ionian Enlightenment, the origin of ancient Greek advances in philosophy and science
Scottish Enlightenment, period in 18th century Scotland
American Enlightenment, intellectual culture of the British North American colonies and the early United States
Enlightenment in Poland, ideas of the Age of Enlightenment in Poland
Catholic Enlightenment, movement within Catholicism to find answers to the secularism of the Enlightenment
Russian Enlightenment, a period in the eighteenth century in which the government in Russia began to actively encourage the proliferation of arts and sciences
Enlightenment in Spain, Bourbon period of reform and 'enlightened despotism'
Modern Greek Enlightenment, an 18th century national revival and educational movement in Greece
Haskalah, Jewish Enlightenment, movement among European Jews in the late 18th century

I guess if you want it defined, google it?
Call it Movement towards a goal, most simply put.
Some seek power, some seek to know themselves, it can go on and on. But it's like going to your goal the right way, and not stepping on the ladder that is human minds on the way up. Build your own.
edit on 29-1-2013 by Mythfury because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
being self sustaining, having a real purpose in life to help yourself and others not being a slave to the machine.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Awareness.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
The truth about REAL enlightenment has been covered-up by lies.

There is a counterfeit enlightenment, (Nirvana) as well as a genuine.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join