It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Majority of smokers do not have lung disease?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Educate yourself! Take up smoking!

The government boys and girls also tell us the GMO foods are good for you. Here, you can have my share!

edit on 29-1-2013 by ajay59 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Interesting to know as a smoker who also does cardio work outs.
I will say this fellow smokers. Smoke additive free cigs if you can.

If ATS were an actual building we all met in,
I have a feeling it wouldn't be non smoker friendly.
Also there would be a lot of Dr.Pepper in the vending machines.
I wonder what the ratio is of smokers to non is on ATS?

*Also a ratio on smokers vs non who spot UFO's.
See how important we are?

edit on 29-1-2013 by sealing because: More

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
All these anecdotes of people living over the average human lifespan smoking for years... I have to say, are cigarettes poisonous to the body or not?
I'm angry, because my grandfather died horribly from smoking-related illnesses (cancer, I think), and people listing old grandmothers puffing to their graves healthy as a horse seems to insult his memory in a big way.
edit on 29-1-2013 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I actually considered the possibility that with all the different ways TPTB are trying to kill us off such as, chem trails, GMO foods and the like, maybe cig. smoking counters it all so they want us not to smoke. Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants were it to be true?

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
In a hope to remain as unbiased as possible, I am referencing Wikipedia as the majority of research is being offered up by anti-smoking campaigns.

This is the list of 599 additives in cigarettes submitted to the United States Department of Health and Human Services in April 1994. It applies, as documented, only to American manufactured cigarettes intended for distribution within the United States by the listed companies. The five major tobacco companies that reported the information were:
American Tobacco Company
Brown and Williamson
Liggett Group, Inc.
Philip Morris Inc.
R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company

One significant issue is that while all these chemical compounds have been approved as additives to food, they were not tested by burning. Burning changes the properties of chemicals. More than 4,000 chemical compounds are created by burning a cigarette.[1]

And a highlight of the worse ones (by bias source)

Ammonia: Household cleaner.
Arsenic: Used in rat poisons.
Benzene: Used in making dyes, synthetic rubber.
Butane: Gas; used in lighter fluid.
Carbon monoxide: Poisonous gas.
Cadmium: Used in batteries.
Cyanide: Lethal poison.
DDT: A banned insecticide.
Ethyl Furoate: Causes liver damage in animals.
Lead: Poisonous in high doses.
Formaldehyde: Used to preserve dead specimens.
Methoprene: Insecticide.
Maltitol: Sweetener for diabetics.
Napthalene: Ingredient in mothballs.

www.care2.com... tes.html

nuff said

My feelings on the matter is that I would not even want to inhale a fraction of those 450+ compounds., coupled with the money saving, its a no brainer for me.

However, I will comment the basic tobacco is not as bad and I have heard the rolling your own cigarettes is much better.
edit on 29-1-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ajay59
reply to post by jhn7537

Educate yourself! Take up smoking!

The government boys and girls also tell us the GMO foods are good for you. Here, you can have my share!

edit on 29-1-2013 by ajay59 because: (no reason given)

So basically you have NOTHING... Figures, you talk a big game but can't back it up... And we aren't talking GMO foods, we're talking cigarettes and you essentially wrote that if I believe the Govt. I'm a sheep... Okay, so I believe the Govt. when they say cigarettes are bad for you. Does that make me a sheep? No, because it's scientifically proven that they're bad for you... Now please either prove me wrong that cigarettes aren't bad for you or admit that your belief the Govt always lies to us isn't entirely true...

Or you could keep acting like a child with all the smiley faces acting like what you're writing is actually funny...
edit on 29-1-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I think what is important to remember that it while it might be true that only a minority of smokers will develop lung cancer, conversely it is also true that the majority of those who develop lung cancer have been or are smokers.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Not just cancer, either. My grandmother, a frequent smoker herself, had to use an oxygen tank daily near the end of her life because her lungs couldn't absorb enough air.
Why couldn't she have been one of the lucky ones?

edit on 29-1-2013 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Thanks, maybe it's just me, had a hard time giving up alcohol and sugar also, [snip] Lost 90lbs in less than two years on a diet change, [snip]
edit on 29-1-2013 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
*** REMINDER ***

16e.) Illicit Activity: Discussion of illicit activities, specifically the use of mind-altering drugs & substances, engaging in computer hacking, promoting criminal hate, discussing sexual relations with minors, and furtherance of financial schemes and scams are strictly forbidden. You will also not link to sites or online content that contains discussion or advocacy of such material. Any Post mentioning or advocating personal use of illicit mind-altering drugs will result in immediate account termination.

i) Narcotics and illicit mind-altering substances: Due to abuse of the subject matter by some (promoting various aspects of personal use, and discussing actual personal use), no new topics on this subject are allowed in any form.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by EllaMarina

I was only stating facts. No disrespect to you or your family.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

You are presenting HEARSAY as fact! YOU have no way of proving what you are presenting as factual evidence! The information you bring comes from KNOWN LIARS. Show me some evidence that YOU have produced that smoking IS harmful. Don't just spout off what OTHERS have said as your evidence!

edit on 29-1-2013 by ajay59 because: to correct

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

reply to post by jhn7537

You are presenting HEARSAY as fact! YOU have no way of proving what you are presenting as factual evidence! The information you bring comes from KNOWN LIARS. Show me some evidence that YOU have produced that smoking IS harmful. Don't just spout off what OTHERS have said as your evidence!

So what you're saying is that if you don't produce the evidence yourself (on whatever subject, not just smoking) you shouldn't believe anything that's out there today? So ignore all the studies done by non-governmental entities because who knows they may be in on the lie too, right?

Let me ask you... Why don't you eat GMO food? Have you done the studies yourself to prove its harmful or are you just going off someone else's studies? If you have done your own clinical studies proving GMO food is bad for you, please list the content where it shows you authoring the work...

Game-Set-Match

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
reply to post by JibbyJedi

It's your personal choice to smoke, but why would you ever smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day? Why would you pay $12-15 bucks per day to inhale known toxins? I just don't get it... Maybe you can enlighten me. I get you're addicted, but why not try to quit?

I pay about $2 per day ($1 per pack) because I roll my own, a 16oz bag of pipe tobacco is $15 and 2 boxes of tubes is another $5, which produces 2 cartons of cigarettes plus a half carton of tobacco to spare in the 16oz bag. I'd never pay $12 per day for them, that's just crazy. We all inhale known toxins every day as it is, at least my lungs are protected from chemtrails by all that tar!

I smoke 2 packs per day because that's all I can fit in to 1 day, sometimes 3 packs when I'm up late drinking booze and posting on ATS.

I did make 1 attempt to quit, I tried taking Chantax for a few months, and it did cut me down to half a pack per day, but then I did more research on that drug and decided that smoking wasn't as bad as my neural pathways being cauterized by Chantax.

Besides.... I'm no quitter!

edit on 29-1-2013 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

reply to post by jhn7537

You are being ridiculous smoking is bad for your health, just like alcohol and bullets to the brain its bad for you. It causes nasty cancer and suffocating COPD, it’s not nice just accept that.

Burying your head in the sand by asking members to prove to you that smoking is bad for your health is actually making you look really quite silly. You should have the intellectually capability to understand that smoking is bad for your health without having to have someone tell you why it’s bad for your health like some 13 year old caught smoking behind a bin shed.

Members like you put me of ATS with these annoying smiles that teenage girls use to text their friends with and the hollow arguments that just repeat “why” and “prove it” over and over again to get an answer to the simplest questions like a child in the back seat of a car asking “are we there yet?” constantly, it’s annoying. You don’t actually produce a counter argument you just go with the “the MSN lie”, or “the government lies”, as an argument, such arguments are simplistic and require no intellectual effort to make you just repeat the usual idiotic rhetoric that uses all of the same cliché’s as countless others. There is no originality or eloquent sophistication to your argument, it has no substance and as such I think you’re talking out of the wrong orifice.

How about you stop with these pointless one or two line responses with the smiles and produce something of substance to contribute to this thread.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Fair enough and thanks for answering it for me... I hope for your sake you eventually quit, I like quitters in this case..haha... and if you don't quit I hope health and happiness for you moving forward... To each their own..

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
In my 20 years of business I had many a customer die from lung cancer. Very very few of them were smokers or lived with smokers. The reason for all the lung cancer is the nuclear testing they did in the 50's. The fallout from that is still here. It will never go away. We had our nuclear war. It is just that instead of bombing cities or factories they bombed the deserts. The fallout is the same.

Those who are responsible for the nuclear poison covering every square inch of this country are still alive. They do not want to go down in history as the people who killed millions of their fellow countrymen. So they found a boogeyman to blame the cancers on. They passed the buck so to speak. People are incredibly stupid and will believe just about anything they hear if they hear it enough. They have been told smoking causes lung cancer. So they believe it. No amount of proof otherwise will change their minds.

I had two customers, man and wife, who were fitness freaks. They avoided all the cancer causing things they could. They were fairly young. Both are dead now. From cancer. Despite doing their best to be healthy I watched them both slowly die. What caused their cancers? Nuclear testing. If you get one speck of plutonium on you, it kills you. You can't see it, you can't feel it, but it is there. ALWAYS. And it is EVERYWHERE.

Back in the day most everyone smoked. Smoking was a good boogeyman to blame the cancer on. It worked and the men who murdered millions will go to their graves free from the public hate they deserve.

I smoke, but I also know I will die from cancer. How do I know? I was a landscaper for 20 years. I have had dust and dirt on me from thousands of acres of soil. There are plutonium bits on and in me. I did not know about the fallout when I started. I do now, but it is too late now. It will kill me some day. It will probably kill you or people you love. They just do not know about it and will blame something else.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Cigarette smoking is a bad habit and very hard to kick but i dont agree on targeting smokers with higher taxes. That said, my understanding is that it does cause emphysema...i am not a doctor but pretty sure smoking is a major part of that. On the other hand a young smokers lungs (20-30) if a lung transplant is needed should be fine considering a transplant is needed but again i am not a doctor or a surgeon.

edit on 29-1-2013 by Malcher because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join