It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this the Ultimate Anger Management?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Hi ATS, I hope you don't mind me sharing a video I found that has really been a blessing to me since I came across it at the weekend.

Being a mild mannered gentleman myself I tend like most men to bottle up stress and anger and then deal with the resulting anxiety in private, but watching this short clip of a quiet looking guy exploding on a punchbag has worked like a charm for me in hammering home the truth of the old adage.. never judge a book by it's cover!

Now if only I could face down my tormentors like this!

youtu.be...
edit on 29-1-2013 by tearuone because: spelling

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by tearuone
Hi ATS, I hope you don't mind me sharing a video I found that has really been a blessing to me since I came across it at the weekend.

Being a mild mannered gentleman myself I tend like most men to bottle up stress and anger and then deal with the resulting anxiety in private, but watching this short clip of a quiet looking guy exploding on a punchbag has worked like a charm for me in hammering home the truth of the old adage.. never judge a book by it's cover!

Now if only I could face down my tormentors like this!

youtu.be...
edit on 29-1-2013 by tearuone because: spelling

Join a boxing club, or MMA etc, couple of nights a week chills you out, gets you fit and hones your skills.
I practice Wing Chun Kung Fu, it's never too late to learn and our style leaves out the high kicks so no strain on older legs - one guy in our club is even in his 60's

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Thanks for the reply Grainofsand.

I think I will do as you have suggested. It certainly would do my fitness the world of good and probably my self-confidence too.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by tearuone

Didn't you already post this once today?

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Hi Crimsonmoon, yes I did but apparently the moderator said he closed the thread because I didn't have enough posts .

I was hoping to get the ball rolling and meet some people on here, hopefully get some tips about self confidence which I don't really have too much of.

Sorry for any inconvenience for the deja vu!

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Explanation: S&F!

I was going to reply to your closed intro thread [I flagged that btw
] but the
were to quik for me!

I am soooooo glad you have posted this in a better forum!

Personal Disclosure: LMAO! The punching bag throws its own towel in at the 1minute mark ...

It had had enough!

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
_javascript:icon('
') _javascript:icon('
')

Thank you OmegaLoops! I appreciate your feedback, it's a little nerve-wracking joining a big site like ATS

I was preparing myself for the worst by having a go at posting but you have made me feel welcome.

Thank you!

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   

I think I will do as you have suggested. It certainly would do my fitness the world of good and probably my self-confidence too.
Absolutely! Fitness & confidence build with your training every time, it also makes you much calmer in a situation when you know exactly what you're gonna do when the angry caveman comes rushing at you with the classic big hook or an attempt to get you to the floor - Wing Chun is not a grapple art, in real life avoid the floor at all costs because you never know how many of his mates are waiting to stamp on your head.

My 15 yr old son came training with me tonight for his first time. He's been a rugby player since age 6 and he's 6' tall with a decent build so not a walkover in any way. He totally loved it, learned a few easy releases, foot traps and the like, but the best bit was us partnering up with focus pads and taking turns with chase and multiple punch moves at each other. Sweaty adrenaline and testosterone fuelled training which we both loved. My teacher doesn't allow minors in our club due to the possible litigation BS from parents if there are any injuries, but as it's my son though, and we've been friends for years, he knows that kind of thing is not a worry from us.
I would never want to get into the tired old argument of 'my martial art is better than yours' etc, so will only say that any art practised regularly will give you an advantage over the average drunken stupid single hook brawlers you are likely to meet in a bar or whatever

Try a few different places and see what suits you, I'm sure you will never regret it.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Thank You GOS,

You know you just gave probably one of the best pieces of advice there, avoid the ground at all costs. A man could be the greatest grappler on the planet but if he is on the floor with some caveman putting on an armbar or choke then that caveman's wife will KO him with a scissor kick or maybe a handbag. I am looking for Wing Chun in my area as we speak. Thank you again Grain for the valued feedback.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Pleased to help, and as I said, whatever style of training you find is eventually right for you, it will always be an advantage over the average drunken neanderthal attacker who has none

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Who is tormenting you? Better start training on kicking @SS and taking names......Worked for me in my younger years

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Hi Chris, you know, the standard ritual humiliations of day to day life...

The bad@$$ who sees you heading towards him on the sidewalk/pavement who for some reason decides he must barge past you shoulder to shoulder,

The 'Gent' who sees you waiting for a car park space who immediately positions his car so that he becomes 'next'

The chap who sees you waiting behind him at the petrol station and then leaves his car alongside the pump and then leaves you waiting while he goes to the mini-mart inside for a coffee, then gets back in his car /adjusts his sunglasses, spends 5 minutes deliberately putting on his seatbelt in slow-motion,

The queue jumper who pushes in front as you wait in line at the cash machine.

I could go on but whats the point. That is why I guess I found the video so compelling, the thought that even the average joe can still stand up and hit back. Sorry for the pathos BTW.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Sorry for the pathos BTW.
Don't be sorry mate, this is general chit-chat and you're the OP so if an emotion influences your story, go for it...shows you're only human like all the rest of us in our crazy unreal modern societies

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Thank You GOS and all the other replies. This really is an awesome site and I already feel I am on the right path being around you guys. Thanks again for all the advice

new topics

top topics

join