It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When a planet behaves like a comet - Venus !

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:03 AM
link   
This is very interesting finding also publication ..

Many people also some ancient civilizations wrote similar events about Venus in last decades also centurys ..

One of them was Immanuel Velikovsky who believed that planet Venus was a comet long time ago "captured" in our solar system ..

Immanuel Velikovsky spent his life in reinterpreting the scripts and events of ancient history ..

When a planet behaves like a comet

29 January 2013

www.esa.int...

ESA’s Venus Express has made unique observations of Venus during a period of reduced solar wind pressure, discovering that the planet’s ionosphere balloons out like a comet’s tail on its nightside.

As this significantly reduced solar wind hit Venus, Venus Express saw the planet’s ionosphere balloon outwards on the planet’s ‘downwind’ nightside, much like the shape of the ion tail seen streaming from a comet under similar conditions.

“The teardrop-shaped ionosphere began forming within 30–60 minutes after the normal high pressure solar wind diminished. Over two Earth days, it had stretched to at least two Venus radii into space,”

“We now finally know that the first effect outweighs the second, and that the ionosphere expands significantly during low solar wind density conditions,”

A similar effect is also expected to occur around Mars, the other non-magnetised planet in our inner Solar System.

“We often talk about the effects of solar wind interaction with planetary atmospheres during periods of intense solar activity, but Venus Express has shown us that even when there is a reduced solar wind, the Sun can still significantly influence the environment of our planetary neighbours,” adds Håkan Svedhem, ESA’s Venus Express project scientist.

edit on 29-1-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Also some interesting read ..

Article first published online: 19 DEC 2012

Venus tail ray observation near Earth

Volume 24, Issue 10, pages 1163–1166, May 1997

In June, 1996, Venus passed through a very close inferior conjunction with the Sun. At that time the CTOF detector of the CELIAS mass spectrometer experiment on the SOHO spacecraft near Earth's L1 Lagrangian point was measuring heavy ions in the solar wind ∼4.5 × 107 km downstream of Venus.

Close to the time predicted by simple geometric arguments for passage of SOHO through the Venus wake, CTOF made three encounters with unusual fluxes of O+ and C+ ions. Their energy distributions resembled those of tail rays originating in the Venus ionosphere or ionopause region rather than of ions produced in the corona of neutral atoms that surrounds the planet.

10 MB, PDF space.unibe.ch...
edit on 29-1-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Wow that's crazy! I wonder how big it can grow. Man, what will happen if the earth passes through venus' ionotail? Does this have much effect on the rest of Venus' atmosphere? Other than the fact that planets can grow tails, I wonder what, if anything, we can learn about Venus. With the ionospbere in this extended state, can this allow us to see other atmospheric layers better? Or maybe even see the ground? Interesting, either way. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Maybe the ancients did see Venus with its tail. Perhaps it was a permanent feature once upon a time.
Venus
Morning Star
Light Bringer
Lucifer
Satan
Dragon

Thing with tail flying through sky = dragon?

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3n19m470
Wow that's crazy! I wonder how big it can grow. Man, what will happen if the earth passes through venus' ionotail? Does this have much effect on the rest of Venus' atmosphere? Other than the fact that planets can grow tails, I wonder what, if anything, we can learn about Venus. With the ionospbere in this extended state, can this allow us to see other atmospheric layers better? Or maybe even see the ground? Interesting, either way. Thanks for sharing.

Many questions are still open, it's will be very interesting in future ..

I must go now see ya later ..

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3n19m470

Nothing will happen if Earth passes through the tail as Earths atmosphere protects us from stuff like that.
The last time Halleys comet past us it left a giant poison gas cloud and Earth past straight through, it also happened early last century too. I think it was an arsenic cloud, I cant remember I'm old.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by MariaLida

I think you are reading to much into this first of all can it even be seen with your eye, what is said in the article

As this significantly reduced solar wind hit Venus, Venus Express saw the planet’s ionosphere balloon outwards on the planet’s ‘downwind’ nightside, much like the shape of the ion tail seen streaming from a comet under similar conditions.

Now a comet tail can stretch for many millions of miles the Venus tail on the other hand

Over two Earth days, it had stretched to at least two Venus radii into space

That's a few thousand miles not quite the same then!

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I think it's very important to carefully read the article itself before using it as a piggyback for fringe theories like Velikovsky's.

The ionosphere is a region of weakly electrically charged gas high above the main body of a planet’s atmosphere. Its shape and density are partly controlled by the internal magnetic field of the planet.

For Earth, which has a strong magnetic field, the ionosphere is relatively stable under a range of solar wind conditions. By comparison, Venus does not have its own internal magnetic field and relies instead on interactions with the solar wind to shape its ionosphere.

A similar effect is also expected to occur around Mars, the other non-magnetised planet in our inner Solar System.

So when the solar wind makes the venusian ionosphere shaped like a comet's tail, it doesn't mean that Venus used to be a comet. You can't even see ionosphere like you can see the tail.

On a general note, shaping scientific theories on what the ancients may or may not have said is not good science.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

On a general note, shaping scientific theories on what the ancients may or may not have said is not good science.

This is true. Hearsay is not science. But we can still learn from our ancestors by putting their knowledge to the test.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

So when the solar wind makes the venusian ionosphere shaped like a comet's tail, it doesn't mean that Venus used to be a comet.
The point here is that it now has been proven that Venus has a tail much like that of comets. Not long ago this was thought to not be true by our scientific community. Venus does have a tail, made up of ions, that has been detected to nearly touch the Earth during solar transit. That is a distance of around 25 million miles. This evidence appears to favor Velikovsky’s theory.

You can't even see ionosphere like you can see the tail.
Just because this is the case now does not mean it always has been. There are several known facts about Venus that indicate this planet recently went through a catastrophic event. Thick atmosphere yet no magnetosphere protecting it, fairly recent global resurfacing and its rotational characteristics (Venus is actually upside down).

Define “shaping”. To base scientific theories on ancient myths is not good science but to simply dismiss these myths outright is equally as ignorant. Ancient peoples the world over described Venus as behaving like a comet that affected Earth several times at predictable intervals.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Devino
Ancient peoples the world over described Venus as behaving like a comet that affected Earth several times at predictable intervals.

I am not aware of any such descriptions. Could you point me to some sources to support this?

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
If you want to find something the ancients DID indicate to us that is true in terms of occurring....id suggest you check out the electric universe theory which has some evidence to this effect....
There are certain signs or glyphs which are shared by many primitive cutures, which DO actually relate to such heavenly changes.....recorcded by al;l cultures of the time....
Details upon request im too pooped to dig it up for youse today.....peace...

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Here are a few quick links with descriptions.

Sumerian Inanna...

I want to address my greeting, to her who fills the sky with her pure blaze, to the luminous one, to Inanna, as bright as the sun, to the great queen of heaven
Source;The Many Faces of Venus
The Planet Venus in Ancient Myth and Religion

Mesoamerican Quetzalcoatl...

[Quetzalcoatl] is a Mesoamerican deity whose name comes from the Nahuatl language and has the meaning of "feathered serpent"
Wiki Source

Quetzalcoatl as the planet Venus...

From an ideological standpoint, Quetzalcoatl the god was seen as the Lord of the Morning Star. Quetzalcoatl was also strongly associated with the planet Venus
Source

If I had more time I'm sure I could find links to Venus as Lucifer in biblical texts, Egyptian as well as Greek myths that describe Venus acting like a comet. The bringer of destruction and the giver of life.

edit on 1/29/2013 by Devino because: Sources added

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I am trending towards the idea that the 'ancients' were more intelligent than we are today. At least they accepted signs in the sky as omens of things to come. Every day I hear from NASA state that 'we are seeing things we have never seen before' or 'it makes you rethink' maybe what you knew to be true, maybe the ancients were on to something and history really does need to be rewritten. Venus is an anomaly of the planets and has an unusual retrograde orbit, upside down, behaves as a comet, how did this come to pass, maybe it did get whacked in it's past and maybe we will too.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Devino

This evidence appears to favor Velikovsky’s theory.

Really?
You mean the "theory" that says Venus originated from Jupiter 3,500 years ago and went careening through the solar system on its way to its current orbit, causing massive calamities on Earth as it passed by? You mean the "theory" that says that Venus caused Mars to move close to Earth in the 8th century BC creating a whole 'nother round of calamities?

That theory? Please explain how the current discovery favors this. Please explain how this current discovery accounts for Venus completely defying the rules of orbital mechanics. Comets don't do that and neither did Venus.

edit on 1/29/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Devino

Have you ever seen a comet? The tail is pretty much the most attention getting thing about it.
I see nothing in those descriptions of anything resembling a comet.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Devino

This evidence appears to favor Velikovsky’s theory.

Really?
You mean the "theory" that says Venus originated from Jupiter 3,500 years ago and went careening through the solar system on its way to its current orbit,
Well yes, that is the theory. That is also what the myths from many ancient cultures around the world seem to claim to have happened.

Please explain how the current discovery favors this.
It proves that Venus has a tail much like a comet. As I pointed out it was not long ago that this idea was dismissed by astronomers. The fact is that Venus has a tail, like that of comets, which appears to favor the theory that Venus acts and perhaps looked like a comet, hence Velikovsky's theory.

Please explain how this current discovery accounts for Venus completely defying the rules of orbital mechanics.
I can’t. Venus did not defy any rules of orbital mechanics as far as I know. If Venus did act as the myths claim it did, i.e. “careening through the solar system on its way to its current orbit”, it would have to follow these rules.

The tail is pretty much the most attention getting thing about it.
Well that and the coma.

Perhaps you could explain how Venus has an atmosphere 90 times denser than Earth's yet with no magnetic field to protect this atmosphere. Can you explain its odd rotational behavior? How about its global resurfacing without the help of tectonic plates? There is so much we do not know about our closest neighbor yet what we do know seems to indicate that Venus recently went through a catastrophic event. This evidence appears to favor Velikovsky's theory to a small degree. It is not proof nor evidence thereof.

I see nothing in those descriptions of anything resembling a comet.
As far as these myths are concerned they are up to interpretation. I am not claiming these as facts nor evidence and I would not expect you to take interest in them beyond ridicule.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Devino

Here are a few quick links with descriptions.

Sumerian Inanna...

I want to address my greeting, to her who fills the sky with her pure blaze, to the luminous one, to Inanna, as bright as the sun, to the great queen of heaven
Source;The Many Faces of Venus
The Planet Venus in Ancient Myth and Religion

I don't see the word "comet" in that article, and the reasoning for the supposed destructive or fear-inspiring appearance of Venus is highly speculative. Those attributes were most likely assigned to the gods/goddesses associated with Venus, rather than the planet itself.

Originally posted by DevinoMesoamerican Quetzalcoatl...

[Quetzalcoatl] is a Mesoamerican deity whose name comes from the Nahuatl language and has the meaning of "feathered serpent"
Wiki Source

Quetzalcoatl as the planet Venus...

From an ideological standpoint, Quetzalcoatl the god was seen as the Lord of the Morning Star. Quetzalcoatl was also strongly associated with the planet Venus
Source

Again, this proves nothing apart from the fact that the ancients found Venus awe-inspiring (like it truly is, despite the modern ignorance) and associated it with a deity. You simply cannot conclude that Venus had visually the same features as the deity, or exhibited the same activity. The Romans and Greeks associated it with the goddess of love, so do you conclude that to them Venus appeared as a nude female?

These theories are a pure speculation based on a particular interpretation of myths and not based on science.

And stop saying that Venus has a tail like a comet. It doesn't.
edit on 30-1-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Cosmic Journeys : Venus: Death of a Planet
Uploaded on Jul 9, 2010

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Immanuel Velikovsky. "The Bonds of the Past"

"Velikovsky's Comet Venus"
Mar 12, 2010

www.thunderbolts.info...

www.gks.uk.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...
edit on 30-1-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join