It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dark Night of the Soul took some of my talents. Can I get them back?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I used to do music and art for a living about a decade ago, before all the Spiritual Experiences began to happen. Eventually I went through a 3-4 year Dark Night of the Soul. When it ended, I was left in a state of Detachment, Dispassion, and Equanimity, amongst other things like glimpses of an Absolute state where there is no 'I', etc.

What seems to have gone with the Dark Night is all the talent and Fire I once had and was able to make a living out of. I now again have various lucrative opportunities in the Artistic fields, but it feels like the artist in me is dead. The fire and motivation is no longer there. Everything, besides a regular 9 to 5 and as much time possible for "practice" seems to be pointless and illusion based temptation. (The Buddha's 10,000 things)

I reckon I can still do the "art", however there is no "soul or oomph" to it like there used to be...... it's like dead/mechanical/just being done to be done

I'm just wondering if it's at all possible to regain those artistic and fiery aspects of myself that were once there prior to the Dark Night?

Oh yeah, and I'm aware that there will be various biased definitions of "Dark Night" which has become a commercialized slang term. What I;m referring to was a Spiritual Mystical Dark Night which makes regular depression look like a carnival ride or a winning lotto ticket.

Thanks .......
edit on 28-1-2013 by dominicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I know what you are talking about. The dark night of the soul can be a very long and hard process to deal with. I must ask, how often do you meditate? Do you cultivate sexual energy? Do you practice yoga or any kind of spiritual practice? Just because you cannot feel the energy, does not mean its not there. It will return to you at some point. You must learn to let go all over again.

Also, what is your diet like. Have you reverted from a healthy diet to a less healthy one? How much water do you drink? You should drink lots of water, every day. It helps the system clean itself out, and is a conduit for the energy.
edit on 29-1-2013 by xxshadowfaxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

I hope you don't mind. It always pays to go to the source...

St. John of the Cross

On a dark night

On a dark night,
Kindled in love with yearnings
--oh, happy chance!--
I went forth without being observed,
My house being now at rest.

In darkness and secure,
By the secret ladder, disguised
--oh, happy chance!--
In darkness and in concealment,
My house being now at rest.

In the happy night,
In secret, when none saw me,
Nor I beheld aught,
Without light or guide,
save that which burned in my heart.

This light guided me
More surely than the light of noonday
To the place where he
(well I knew who!) was awaiting me
-- A place where none appeared.

Oh, night that guided me,
Oh, night more lovely than the dawn,
Oh, night that joined
Beloved with lover,
Lover transformed in the Beloved!

Upon my flowery breast,
Kept wholly for himself alone,
There he stayed sleeping,
and I caressed him,
And the fanning of the cedars made a breeze.

The breeze blew from the turret
As I parted his locks;
With his gentle hand
He wounded my neck
And caused all my senses to be suspended.

I remained, lost in oblivion;
My face I reclined on the Beloved.
All ceased and I abandoned myself,
Leaving my cares
forgotten among the lilies.

josvg.home.xs4all.nl...

While this crisis is usually temporary in nature, it may last for extended periods. The "dark night" of Saint Paul of the Cross in the 18th century lasted 45 years, from which he ultimately recovered. Mother Teresa of Calcutta, according to letters released in 2007, "may be the most extensive such case on record", lasting from 1948 almost up until her death in 1997, with only brief interludes of relief between. Franciscan Friar Father Benedict Groeschel, a friend of Mother Teresa for a large part of her life, claims that "the darkness left" towards the end of her life.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 29-1-2013 by Xoanon because:

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   

You require a Muse, to guide you back on your path. To fan the flames of your passion for your artistry. It's still there...just needs a nudge, that's all.

Des

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
I used to do music and art for a living about a decade ago, before all the Spiritual Experiences began to happen. Eventually I went through a 3-4 year Dark Night of the Soul. When it ended, I was left in a state of Detachment, Dispassion, and Equanimity, amongst other things like glimpses of an Absolute state where there is no 'I', etc.

What seems to have gone with the Dark Night is all the talent and Fire I once had and was able to make a living out of. I now again have various lucrative opportunities in the Artistic fields, but it feels like the artist in me is dead. The fire and motivation is no longer there. Everything, besides a regular 9 to 5 and as much time possible for "practice" seems to be pointless and illusion based temptation. (The Buddha's 10,000 things)

I reckon I can still do the "art", however there is no "soul or oomph" to it like there used to be...... it's like dead/mechanical/just being done to be done

I'm just wondering if it's at all possible to regain those artistic and fiery aspects of myself that were once there prior to the Dark Night?

Oh yeah, and I'm aware that there will be various biased definitions of "Dark Night" which has become a commercialized slang term. What I;m referring to was a Spiritual Mystical Dark Night which makes regular depression look like a carnival ride or a winning lotto ticket.

Thanks .......

i know what u mean..

i think u can.. but now u have to learn how to do it manually. no more autochannels. no more random and spontaneous access. it's a cycle. what u must do is recognize the passion in another reason for doing your art. the motivation no longer can come from a superficial need or hunger. it must now be a delivery of the spirit itself.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   
One of the connections to the concept of the Dark Night of the soul I have found interesting is that I was once told it was related in concept to when one passes through the Abyss ( Da'at ) on the work up the Kabbalah.. I was told that this marked a point of experience so intense that the person would feel they were literally loosing themselves, fading completely out of existence, loss of self.. etc. I can't remember the way it was worded, but it is the 'make or break' type situation in which failure means more than death as most understand it. I can make relations to these remarks but I myself am not as well studied on the Kabbalah work as I could be though maybe you could look into it OP on yoru journey to understand yourself and your experience.

I think it's particularly interesting to talk about the dark night of the soul in that if you experience it you live now in a different day. You experienced the night and finally made it to dawn etc.. My personal take on this, and I hate to sound like I am one to give advice but I feel it might be helpful to say, if your experience was authentic you are no longer the same person. Depending on what your experiences were you could even have changed the structure of the neurology of your brain as well as the alchemy of your soul. You can't wake up from the dark night of the soul without feeling groggy I guess, try some metaphorical coffee in your life.
edit on 1/29/2013 by indigothefish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I have been through this as well. It's a crushing place to be.
Is there a place you can get out into Nature? A beautiful quiet place..perhaps with moving water.. take your shoes off (if possible!) and walk and breathe and let go. Unplug for awhile and let Nature refill your spirit!
sending love

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by indigothefish
One of the connections to the concept of the Dark Night of the soul I have found interesting is that I was once told it was related in concept to when one passes through the Abyss ( Da'at ) on the work up the Kabbalah.. I was told that this marked a point of experience so intense that the person would feel they were literally loosing themselves, fading completely out of existence, loss of self.. etc. I can't remember the way it was worded, but it is the 'make or break' type situation in which failure means more than death as most understand it. I can make relations to these remarks but I myself am not as well studied on the Kabbalah work as I could be though maybe you could look into it OP on yoru journey to understand yourself and your experience.

I think it's particularly interesting to talk about the dark night of the soul in that if you experience it you live now in a different day. You experienced the night and finally made it to dawn etc.. My personal take on this, and I hate to sound like I am one to give advice but I feel it might be helpful to say, if your experience was authentic you are no longer the same person. Depending on what your experiences were you could even have changed the structure of the neurology of your brain as well as the alchemy of your soul. You can't wake up from the dark night of the soul without feeling groggy I guess, try some metaphorical coffee in your life.
edit on 1/29/2013 by indigothefish because: (no reason given)

Excellent post

Now I myself can see my own experiences thru a new perspective.. I hope this helps the OP as well.
thank you

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
What I;m referring to was a Spiritual Mystical Dark Night which makes regular depression look like a carnival ride or a winning lotto ticket.

Haha i think few people will understand this!

The only thing that comes to mind is that you may have lost your "oomph" so to speak because you are no longer following your true path.

Either you've completed the objective, or you have lost touch...

Do you still feel an urge to create? or are you trying to repeat old patterns?
Perhaps this is happening so you head in another direction, perhaps i am wrong.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

You require a Muse, to guide you back on your path. To fan the flames of your passion for your artistry. It's still there...just needs a nudge, that's all. Des

What's the necessary nudge and where can it be found?

That's the ultimate question.

Originally posted by smwoop
there's this one plant that comes to mind that might do the trick

Where I currently work, there are randoms

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx
I know what you are talking about. The dark night of the soul can be a very long and hard process to deal with. I must ask, how often do you meditate? Do you cultivate sexual energy? Do you practice yoga or any kind of spiritual practice? Just because you cannot feel the energy, does not mean its not there. It will return to you at some point. You must learn to let go all over again.

Also, what is your diet like. Have you reverted from a healthy diet to a less healthy one? How much water do you drink? You should drink lots of water, every day. It helps the system clean itself out, and is a conduit for the energy.
edit on 29-1-2013 by xxshadowfaxx because: (no reason given)

Meditate daily 1 hour. Or every 2-3 days for 1 hour. On days off, 2-3 hours. Sexual energy cultivation sometimes...depends on situation and practice. Yoga....twice a week. Spiritual practices various.... (meditation, anapanasati, observing mind, mindfulness, noting, aware of awareness). Diet vegetarian and very strict ...water ....whenever body calls for water. Will take note on more water intake.

reply to post by Xoanon

I hope you don't mind. It always pays to go to the source...

St. John ...so cryptic ...let me count the hundreds of ways I can decipher his work

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by indigothefish

I like the last paragraph from 'idigothefish' also.

When i made it through i was no longer the same person, everything about me changed, and i mean everything!

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   

What inspired you to actually be the person you used to be? Perhaps reflect on that inspiration that once inspired you.

And it will unravel itself. It is your inner workings that you need to focus to re-align yourself.

Peace

edit on 29-1-2013 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by indigothefish

One of the connections to the concept of the Dark Night of the soul I have found interesting is that I was once told it was related in concept to when one passes through the Abyss ( Da'at ) on the work up the Kabbalah.. I was told that this marked a point of experience so intense that the person would feel they were literally loosing themselves, fading completely out of existence, loss of self..

Oh I can talk about what it was like for chapters worth of material. Perhaps a book 1 day. It was ultimately the stripping away of all Illusion, ego, emotions, self, likes/dislikes ...all that was left was the Observer of all these things being stripped away. One of the benefits is that I'm literally like an Unmovable mountain. I've since witnessed deaths of close family members, loss of a job, witnessed a deadly accident and literally just brushed off my shoulder in the face of death.

Yea it is like I;m gone...there's no more me. A mere Observer and eve that tunes in and out.

My personal take on this, and I hate to sound like I am one to give advice but I feel it might be helpful to say, if your experience was authentic you are no longer the same person. Depending on what your experiences were you could even have changed the structure of the neurology of your brain as well as the alchemy of your soul. You can't wake up from the dark night of the soul without feeling groggy I guess, try some metaphorical coffee in your life.

yeah the old "me" is dead and gone. But all my associates from the past still see the same old me with the same old "skills" in certain crafts. They don't understand the dark night

Originally posted by Starcrossd
I have been through this as well. It's a crushing place to be.
Is there a place you can get out into Nature? A beautiful quiet place..perhaps with moving water.. take your shoes off (if possible!) and walk and breathe and let go. Unplug for awhile and let Nature refill your spirit!
sending love

Been there done that. Still the same "state" upon returning. Actually all of reality seems artificial and like some surreal movie since the "Dark Night."

Originally posted by InnerPeace2012

What inspired you to actually be the person you used to be? Perhaps reflect on that inspiration that once inspired you.

And it will unravel itself. It is your inner workings that you need to focus to re-align yourself.

Peace

edit on 29-1-2013 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

Back then I was teens and early 20's. Doing art was fresh, new, exciting. I felt that I eventually mastered it when I started getting pieces sold and started working with other famous global artists. Then the Mystical experiences happened ...a mini ego-death. I had to stop everything and take a year off to integrate the "ego-death" and relearn to function in life. I took a crack at doing "art" again ....and was just dead to it

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Another stroll through the dark night of the soul might do the trick. Only the spiritually strong every wander there.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
It sounds to me like you're lacking love. Acceptance, love and gratitude. Have you ever tried going into an isolation tank? They are amazing devices for relaxation and letting go.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Go in a float tank... You have to go back to the beginning. Your ego is the key. Only when you have hit rock bottom, will your ego give up and your true nature return. Go into the darkness. Surrender yourself to it. Accept it. Accept the fact that the dark night will be how you live for the rest of your life. Accept it and never expect it to end. On the otherside of that darkness, is the light you seek. Acceptance of this, may take a while, but like the beginning, it took time and effort to become spiritual. It will take time and effort to once again, become spiritual. It's all about surrender.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   

You need to reassess why you want to get the oomph back. If the desire is not real it won't manifest. I would suggest that something from the past has turned you off. Do it all again but this time do it for all the right reasons and you will be better than ever.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Well I am going to suggest you stop meditating, and everything else you practise.
Sometimes the mind just needs a holiday.

Kind regards.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Have you read the chapter on the Dark Night from Evelyns book?

www.sacred-texts.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join