It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guns and the Cold War

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
M.A.D. or Mutually Assured Destruction worked for this country during the cold war. I submit that it works for gun owners. People ask why do you want guns. I want a gun to assure myself that if someone else has a gun and tries to harm me that I have the ability to protect myself. If more gun laws and less guns was the answer why didnt the US get rid of the nuclear weapons during the cold war?
edit on 28-1-2013 by WesternIowaParanormal because: spelling

edit on 28-1-2013 by WesternIowaParanormal because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-1-2013 by Gemwolf because: Removed all caps title

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Mutually ASSURED Destruction and its comparison to criminals with guns (or a tyrannical government) vs citizens protecting themselves...... I have never heard that argument before but I like it. Good point. Did you ever see the movie with Randall Tex Cobb, with Chuck Norris, saving POW's in Vietnam.... he always wore an hand grenade around his neck so if he knew he was going down, he was gonna take some of the enemy with him! And... he did. Of course, we would rather DETER problems instead of going down the drain together, but.... the threat may be enough.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Thank you. I thought it was a good point.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by jaxnmarko
Did you ever see the movie with Randall Tex Cobb, with Chuck Norris, saving POW's in Vietnam.... he always wore an hand grenade around his neck so if he knew he was going down, he was gonna take some of the enemy with him! And... he did.

That movie was "Uncommon Valor" and Chuck did not star in it. It was one of Patrick Swayzes first movies he made though.

Back on topic, I have often used this argument. That doesn't mean I'm John Wayne or anything, I know a bad guy will probably get the drop on me as ambush is in their nature.

But if I have the opportunity to defend myself, I will. With extreme prejudice.

new topics

top topics

join