It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A real starship enterprize or just a guy who watches too much star trek?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
This is old old news & there are already a multitude of threads about this here on ATS.

Secondly, the ship is designed to be a little over half a mile in length & not 6 miles as stated in the op.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Shouln't be any bugs Gene, Kirk and the rest of the crew work on things every week for 3 long years. They didn't even need their whole 5 year mission. Shouldn't be any problems going to Mars it's right next door

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Shouldn't be any problems going to Mars it's right next door
reply to post by mikell

Actually there would be allot of issues the crew would run into going to mars like fuel consumption, oxygen, food and water consumption, radiation risks, and space debris. It's not exactly next door. Remember that Mars is 33.9 million miles from earth and they would probably would half to do an orbit around earth and the moon to get anywhere close unless they launch from the moon like president Obama wanted to do.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
His idea of a liquid argon 'storm room' is pretty insane. The support structuring for that alone would be enormous, and there is still the little problem of getting in and out of the thing. Furthermore you can just as well make it out of lead and it would be thinner and lighter, You could even make a calorimeter of sorts to detect when the storm has passed... but using liquid argon? thats a whole kettle of fish and id personally not regard being held inside a cryogenic storage vessel as a safe place to be.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ErosA433

If the idea is to create a propulsion method which has the ability to approach light speed, then you have to find a way of fooling the universe, so to speak, into responding to the vessel as if it had no mass. I think the way to do that will come when we have probed and understood every facet of the Higgs issue. If we figure out how to control the effects of the Higgs boson, in terms of its ability to impart mass, or not, to a given object, then we might be an awful lot closer to an answer.

I think it would be very handy if we discovered that by manipulating the Higgs field, we could make a ship which would weigh in at several hundred tons or more, appear and behave as if it had no mass, despite being solid and strong. Hopefully the future will provide such capacity.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by paranormal78

How will the ship be manufactured , in space?

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Yes he wanted the sections and other parts of the ship to be sent up to space using rockets provided by NASA because it would be more practical to build a large ship in space than trying to get something that big up to space from earth in one piece. in fact some science fiction movies have use this concept of star ship construction in space because of its practicality and simply because its cheaper.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   

This enterprise will be powered by nuclear reactor. I wonder why nuclear powered craft hasnt been proposed or prototype built/tested to demonstrate it is the ideal power sourse (under existing science technology) to drive interplanetary travels within the solar system. Unless of course there is something in space that affects and disrupts the use of nuclear powered sources. This is not my area but am curious as to why no manned spacecraft to date have been built with nuclear powered ion drives. Any physicists out there that are able to explain? Certainly this would need to be verified with a small scale prototype before going forward with the enterprise project.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42

How about a smaller prototype before building something huge?

Yanno, that costs less, smaller crew, to work out all the design bugs?

Just a thought.

Why not build a starship enterprise hotel and the profits from that used to finance the orbital vessal.

there is a proposal to build it on a youtube called lets build a real starship enterprise.

in fact there was a proposal to build one in las vegas a few years but the the then retarded president of paramount refused to give permission...

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   

This enterprise will be powered by nuclear reactor. I wonder why nuclear powered craft hasnt been proposed or prototype built/tested to demonstrate it is the ideal power sourse (under existing science technology)
Some countries in Europe have already proposed designs for nuclear powered craft but none have made it to the prototype stage out of environmental & safety concerns. Using a spaceship with a nuclear reactor is like flying a nuclear missile. Its just to risky. I think solar power is a better bet if we can improve the power output of solar cells.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Some countries in Europe have already proposed designs for nuclear powered craft but none have made it to the prototype stage out of environmental & safety concerns. Using a spaceship with a nuclear reactor is like flying a nuclear missile. Its just to risky. I think solar power is a better bet if we can improve the power output of solar cells.

I can appreciate the safety concerns although ist seems contradictory considering many Naval vessels are powered by nuclear reactors.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

I can appreciate the safety concerns although ist seems contradictory considering many Naval vessels are powered by nuclear reactors.

The only reason that i see with naval vessels being nuclear power is that is an accident were to happen involving the nuclear reactor would be less human losses and less collateral damage out at sea and nuclear disasters at sea are far less worse than one happening in a populated area and a space ships nuclear reactor exploding over earth would cause allot more radioactive material to scatter over random areas on earth. if a nuclear powered space craft as big as the enterprise were to explode in orbit or anywhere near earth it would be like the Challenger or the Colombia disaster x 1,000 with radioactivity risks over cities.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   

First of all ,if the ship is to be built in orbit, then it could use secondary propulsion to leave the magnetosphere of the Earth, before activating its main drives. This would mean that in the event of a first activation failiure of the nuclear drive, any resultant radioactivity would scatter against the magnetosphere, rather than raining down directly onto the planet.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join