It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A real starship enterprize or just a guy who watches too much star trek?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
A privately owned company/website is planing the construction of a real 6 mile long "Star ship Enterprise" class space craft capable of reaching Mars in 90 days. This is the main web page:www.buildtheenterprise.org...Allot of it seems like the guy ruining this thing is just trying to get NASA do do something that is basically impossible all because he watched allot of star trek. I looked at the design proposals and allot of the photos are just of various generations of the star ship enterprise. nothing concrete from what I can tell based on what I know about current NASA engineering. the only things that seem probable to me is a gravity wheel and ion engines as propulsion. Not to mention the petition for the funding and construction of the Enterprise class ship was closed by congress for not having enough signatures. But is there still hope? Personally I would love to see a ship like the enterprise get built within my lifetime. I just wish we at least had a ship that can take a crew to mars.
edit on 28-1-2013 by paranormal78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
It's trek, not track. And hey don't knock a guy for trying. Most people just sit around and complain about things, this guys trying to be productive

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   

this guys trying to be productive
reply to post by dorkfish87

That he is. if you ask me he would be the only one i know who is somewhat serious about a real star ship. I just wish the economy wasn't as bad as it is otherwise we probably would be able to do this. oh and my bad for the misspelling. stupid spell check

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
6 miles long? materials, builders, etc, but how would something this big be constructed? It would have to be built in space, as the ammount of energy required to propel it would be insane, and the damage to our atmosphere breaking thru the layers would be catastrophic. would be cool as all get out though.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
This is unbelievable because it's b.s.

This thing would cost billions just to build the shell. Unless they know the secret to anti-gravity, sorry, not in this lifetime.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Wow! That person put a lot of thought into this venture. Anybody who is invested into space exploration would be foolish not to at least look it over. We have to start somewhere, right? I'm sure the Wright brothers and Einstein got a few laughs when they started putting patents in the office, too. I would love to see it become a reality.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by paranormal78

90 Days? I don't think so unless these people have made a major breakthrough in propulsion.

Such a vessal could not be designed like the Star Trek ship as it is a design that is not conductive to a form of propulsion but rather warped Space/Time.

Such a design that used propulsion would quickly break apart.

Split Infinity

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Why not? People give billions of dollars to preachers talking about invisible superheroes, why not build a six mile long toy? LAUGH OUT BLOODY LOUD.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   

the thing is this is the sort of thing that could drive an economy upwards; much like ship building did when people realized they needed something that floated in water to travel to distant shores, and also people to steer them, repair them, teach others how to do those things. Imagine a ship of this size having to be built. There could be jobs for millions on this one project alone. That's how you raise an economy...by giving people a real career. Once it's built it will need the very people it employed to build it to fix it should it ever have the smallest problem. You will need people who know how to fly. People who know how a networking program works to keep everything working smoothly.

Then you create another one...cause it never hurts to have a spare.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I'm wondering why the ship size is 6 miles. If it's based on the original movie ship, that ship was smaller than the empire state building. But I gotta admit, as a die hard Trekkie, it would be cool to walk the decks of a full scaled ship.

www.dailymail.co.uk... Eiffel-Tower.html

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
It would seem to me there would be much more practical designs. The Enterprise might look cool, but I'm not so sure about it as a feasible design for a starship. Seems like it would be an engineering nightmare actually.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by teslahowitzer
6 miles long? materials, builders, etc, but how would something this big be constructed? It would have to be built in space, as the ammount of energy required to propel it would be insane, and the damage to our atmosphere breaking thru the layers would be catastrophic. would be cool as all get out though.

Yep that's where he wants to build it

The Enterprise will be built entirely in space. Thus each component must be launched from earth. This is expensive, and around 35% of the Gen1 Enterprise program budget will be to pay for heavy lifter launch costs (when including both non-recurring costs and recurring costs). These launches will transport not only the Enterprise components into space but also test hardware, Enterprise supplies, and various items needed for space infrastructure.

Also he wants the government to pay for it

It is proposed that the US dedicate .27% of its GDP each year to the NASA Enterprise program. The Enterprise program includes the building one new USS Enterprise spaceship per generation, that is, every 33 year. To get off to a fast start, the first ship, the Gen1 ship, will be built on an accelerated schedule of 20 years.

Seems plausible

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   

How about a smaller prototype before building something huge?

Yanno, that costs less, smaller crew, to work out all the design bugs?

Just a thought.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

With something of that size being intended, half the bugs you are talking about will be as a result of its size, and may not even be evident in a smaller vessel.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
He might be referencing magnetized-beam plasma propulsion

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Thread already here ...... www.abovetopsecret.com...

Cool idea though

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners

Originally posted by teslahowitzer
Also he wants the government to pay for it

It is proposed that the US dedicate .27% of its GDP each year to the NASA Enterprise program. The Enterprise program includes the building one new USS Enterprise spaceship per generation, that is, every 33 year. To get off to a fast start, the first ship, the Gen1 ship, will be built on an accelerated schedule of 20 years.

Seems plausible

16 trillion in debt, projected 2 trillion in debt this year, and he wants to spend 4 trillion a year on this? FYI the US only gets 2 trillion a year in taxes each year.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   

I love this, BUT it is just what a star trek fan would like to have in orbit..... to like.....play with...

I am all for it. I would rather spend money of cool stuff like this than on the other useless crap we do now....

100MW laser.....LOL

I love it...

I also LOVE that he chose the constitution A refit....best class ever.
edit on 31-1-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Cool thread, but I'm amazed I haven't seen other mention of this on ATS! The site launched quite some time ago. Kind of old news (not to diss the thread!). Really, he might want to look at the research being done now at NASA for building a real warp drive. Could get to the nearest star in 2 weeks. Put both ideas together and we would have a STAR ship, instead of being limited to the solar system. He's right to go big-scale, though I think he should be a little less extreme with the size. In all though, at least SOME ONE is thinking about stuff like this, instead of watching reality shows and gorging on high fructose corn syrup...

Just saw mention of another thread about the BTE site...
OK, so there IS mention of it here lol
edit on 31-1-2013 by Gu1tarJohn because: Bacon

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by trysts

Why not? People give billions of dollars to preachers talking about invisible superheroes, why not build a six mile long toy? LAUGH OUT BLOODY LOUD.

WOW LMAO
I find myself in agreement!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join