Did Surfer Break World Record on This Mammoth Wave?

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
This is awesome on so many levels and I'm not even a surfer, I just find surfing to be pretty bad *ss, especially when you see surfers going after 100 ft waves, which is very rare. Earlier this week a photo surfaced of extreme surfer Garrett McNamara and many believe he broke the wave record in this photo. The previous record was held by him, no surprise, back when he conquered a huge wave off Portugal's coast...

Big-wave surfer Garrett McNamara already has the record for surfing the biggest wave ever ridden -- a 78-foot beast at Nazaré, Portugal, in 2011. But on Monday, Jan. 28, he rode this massive wave at Nazaré, prompting SurferToday.com to wonder whether he not only broke his own world record but dropped into a 100-foot wave. (Or, as one Portuguese publication so eloquently put it, "Garrett McNamara volta a surfar montanha de água na Nazaré.")

McNamara wrote on Twitter Monday, "Thank you for all your support. It means the world to me. Today was an awesome day and so fun to be out there..

Below is the snap shot from Monday of him surfing the 100 foot wave

And below I attached the clip from the previous world record, still haven't found the footage from this recent conquest of his.

Source

Mods- I ran a search and didn't find this story...If it's already up then 86 the thread
edit on 28-1-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
He's still high off adrenaline, right now. I want to be at that party.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by shefskitchen
He's still high off adrenaline, right now. I want to be at that party.

Definitely man... To do the crap he does you need to have some serious balls

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I have surfed all my life all over the place, if I saw a wave THAT big I would vomit and run. Most of the really large waves are tow in surfing , which is getting pulled into the wave with a jet ski. I highly recommend surfing,but on smaller head high waves to begin with and the traveling is great and most people that can surf really well ,generally dont talk about it alot ,except to other surfers. Kinda like how most really good musicians dont brag about it. Surfing can be discouraging at first and not everyone can do it, like singing, thats what boogie boards are for. Who knows if thats a world record wave, its impossible to measure and its quite common to see bad arses like Laird hamilton charging 60 footers.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Anybody have any information on why Nazare, Portugal seems to make record waves?

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazztrance
I have surfed all my life all over the place, if I saw a wave THAT big I would vomit and run. Most of the really large waves are tow in surfing , which is getting pulled into the wave with a jet ski. I highly recommend surfing,but on smaller head high waves to begin with and the traveling is great and most people that can surf really well ,generally dont talk about it alot ,except to other surfers. Kinda like how most really good musicians dont brag about it. Surfing can be discouraging at first and not everyone can do it, like singing, thats what boogie boards are for. Who knows if thats a world record wave, its impossible to measure and its quite common to see bad arses like Laird hamilton charging 60 footers.

Knowing that you're a surfer, if you were given the opportunity to surf this spot (obviously known for HUGE waves) would you? Or do you NEED to be an expert surfer to even try something that large (or in that ballpark)...

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

WOW Just WOW, I happened to be on Oahu Hawaii over Christmas this year, and saw them get some of the biggest waves they've had since the 60's The surfers came out of the woodwork, from all over the world.
I watched from the beach on the pipeline- Most fantastic thing Ive ever seen, but this big daddy tops those 50 footers -WOW!

new topics
top topics

join