It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bugs in the Atmosphere: Significant Microorganism Populations Found in Middle and Upper Troposphere

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jennybee35

That is such an intriguing point! And it would make total sense!

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Maybe like Plankton in the ocean? Algae blooms feed Plankton, then Krill, then fish and on up.

Maybe these bacteria colonies are the beginning of another food chain that involves insect swarms and the bats that feed on them?

Bat Facts

The 30 million Mexican free-tailed bats from Bracken Cave in Texas eat 250 TONS of insects every summer night. They sometimes fly up to two miles high to feed or to catch tailwinds that carry them over long distances, and can fly at speeds of more than 60 miles per hour.

More Bats

For this is no ordinary colony of bats. There are, within the confines of the Bracken Cave not merely a few hundred thousand, or even a paltry one million animals, but the largest congregation of warm-blooded mammals anywhere on Earth, as between 20,000,000 and 40,000,000 bats leave the roost each evening to go and feed.

So my question is, the bats are feeding on all these insects up there... what are the insects eating?

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by retirednature

Cruder testing was done in the 70's, so this has been known for 40 years now. Give yourselves a treat and read Heavens breath, this is a book about the wind. So much important info that seems forgotten especially given the new science of genetic engineering.

They found the black death, plague and a host of real nasty’s in our atmosphere. There are some big systems that keeps the wheels turning on Earth, wonder how easy they are to break.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I'm not surprised at all that micro-organisms are living in the various layers of our upper atmospheres, as one earlier poster suggested, micro-organisms maybe taken up into the atmosphere from ocean and land evaporation, and of course, return in rain droplets, hail, and snow?

Their presence in each atmospheric layer will add densities of varying degrees, and I should imagine, they will circulate around the planet. Perhaps, they also act as a protective layer, sheilding certain radiations from the sun and space, and when the planet is hit by solar flares and CMEs, perhaps there are massive die-offs creating holes of dead organic matter that fall as food for oceanic life, but that evaporation restocks the holes?

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:36 AM
link   
If there's 'bugs' at 6 miles, then could they also exist in some form at much higher attitudes in microgravity?

Could the lower gravity up there allow those 'space worms' to evolve to the vast sizes of those giant glowing worms wriggling above the Earth in all those unexplained NASA films!?

Perhaps they wouldn't need skeletons to support their weight in low gravity, making 'worms' the evolutionary default up their.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

"This lends an idea to the possibility that creatures could form on gas giants? "

i was thinking more or long the lines that they could "eat" bad gas, like carbon dioxide or radiation.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by retirednature
Bugs in the Atmosphere: Significant Microorganism Populations Found in Middle and Upper Troposphere

www.sciencedaily.com...

Jan. 28, 2013 — In what is believed to be the first study of its kind, researchers used genomic techniques to document the presence of significant numbers of living microorganisms -- principally bacteria -- in the middle and upper troposphere, that section of the atmosphere approximately four to six miles above Earth's surface.

This is just awesome!

We have demonstrated that our technique works, and that we can get some interesting information," Nenes said. "A big fraction of the atmospheric particles that traditionally would have been expected to be dust or sea salt may actually be bacteria. At this point we are just seeing what's up there, so this is just the beginning of what we hope to do."

They are still researching the metabolic rates and implications, but I have to wonder what effects 'CO2' and other greenhouse gasses have on these microorganisms, as well their possible involvement with maintaining atmospheric levels of gasses, if any.

Maybe they always were there, but we did not know about that, yet? In that case, it is not the problem, just a new scientific fact, instead? If that, it is nice news...

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
This reminds me of a topic I first came across when I wandered into this place called ATS...something about some giant, almost invisible, long, bug-like thingys that shoot real fast from place to place in the atmosphere.

LoL! I know that sounds crazy, and it probably is...
but does anyone know what I'm referring to?

If there are little critters like these, couldn't there be big ones too?

edit on 1/29/2013 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

Rods and sky fish what you mean?? This is the first place I heard about them on my first account yrs ago. Used to be some great conversations here about cryptocritters and paranormal critters.
I have no idea what they are.. Id always scoffed nad thought they were insects or film anomalies.. but with the newer equipment.. we get much better video of them. WHo knows! Some of them remind me of chinese dragons.. but teeny.

Some think they are attracted to the ozone from lightening
www.youtube.com...

Here is some clear vid of them.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I'm totally convinced that there is life (microorganisms) in the atmospheres os both Jupiter and Saturn. It would e in the layers that are at around 80 degrees. We are finding organic compounds everywhere. It only makes sense.
Look at the life forms found near the deep water vents on our planet, spitting out acids and super heated water. Life all around them. To think outer space is a "sterile" environment is short sighted IMHO.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
could life exist without bacteria?

what would life without bacteria look life or b like?

Bacteria are what breaks down life from one form to another.

Without bacteria life would have to be a lot different than it is here on earth.

Bacteria is the root of Death.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
one must wonder if the likes of the "Chicxulub asteroid impact" tossed these up and they've dwelled there ever since???

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Small life forms though they may be, there are certainly alot of them, from what this report has uncovered. It seems to me that alongside any other questions this may raise, one stands proud. How does the presence of clouds of microorganisms, effect the electrical interaction between the Earth and its atmosphere.

As we know, the traditional understanding of lightning formation goes roughly thusly. When there is a significant build up of electrons in high cloud, and a shortage of the same in the lower cloud, the energy is released downward toward the lower section. This build up is caused by particles of dirt, ice, and other small particles, moving against each other causing friction, which has the effect of causing the electrostatic beginnings of lightning, or at least, thats how I was taught that it happens....

Now, it seems that there must be something missing from our understanding of the way that this electrical accounting system works. The troposphere is often associated with the birth of our weather, because the conditions that cause rain, wind, snow and so on, are those which can be found in that region of the sky. If this region is also carrying clouds of tiny organisms, then thier presence must affect things like lightning. Life forms, from you and I, to very small things, carry bioelectrical signals. In our bodies, the pathways are laid down, throughout the vast and complex circuits that make up even our smallest cluster of nerves, but though small, even a microbe contains electrical interactions, vital to its existence.

Add that to the equation which produces lightning... What do you think? Am I just tripping? Should I have had more than two hours sleep before work this morning?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join