It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

THE reason we exist.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

So because the universe is complex and coincidences happen there must be a reason for everything that happens? And because we have obstacles and triumphs there must be a reason for it all?

Its life - it just happens. Deal with it.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by homeslice
I dont see why people think there needs to be a purpose for our existence. Why must there be a reason?

We look for a reason to endure suffering. Life without meaning is absurd.

Unfortunately, reason points to there being no ultimate meaning...
Meaning must come from something of value externally, but what is the meaning of the thing at the top?

---
I do not believe life is great. I believe there is something inherently evil about this existence, and that we should seek liberation. All the world's a stage, and we are involuntary players.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
It appears that we exist to destroy life on this planet. We Turn all the minerals back into metals. It took billions of years to turn those metals to minerals that could be used by lifeforms.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

What a disappointing opening post. 'We exist because life is great'....Seriously, one would expect more from the philosophy section

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   

You can test this theory.

Do nothing but observe.

You'll last maybe a few days before you start to die of thirst.

You are here, as we all are, to procreate and pass on your genetic material. Like a colony of ants or bacteria.

Once you die, that spark that you feel inside you that you define are you, ceases to be. It is no more. Your energy transfers into radiating heat and you disperse into your surroundings. Like the sun heating the sand on a beach, at night it radiates back out. Not the same. But still energy.

Think of this.

If you were to suffer traumatic brain damage, and your personality were to become affected so much that it became unrecognisable to anyone, what has changed?

your spirit? or the mechanical and chemical structure that defines the way you think.

We observe because we're now free to do so. We've built everything we need and now we rely on it. Absolute reliance on the technology we've made to ease the burden of existing.

Go back 100,000 years and tell nomadic tribes who subsist on game and hunting, they can sit down and write a book about the nature of the self. See how much they can observe before they're eaten.

Survival of the fittest, no time to write that book, that sabre tooth looks hungry. I have to fight it with my stick that I've sharpened. I teach my child how to sharpen sticks too. He makes them better than me...

and so he guarantees his genetic material is continued.

The book writer dies of cirrhosis of the liver, ultimately.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by homeslice

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it, but that does not give you the authority to claim definitively that life has no reason or purpose. Learn some humility.

Deal. With. That.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it, but that does not give you the authority to claim definitively that life has no reason or purpose. Learn some humility.

Deal. With. That.

Yet a thread entitled "THE reason we exist." discussing why we disagree...

Fancy. That!
edit on 29-1-2013 by winofiend because: yes to yet?! ugh

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

There is a difference between discussing a theory and simply being dismissive. The member I was addressing was being dismissive - disregarding the OP's theory without giving reasons to back up or elaborate on his claims.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Wow, really
I bet the worlds homeless would have a different take on your "painted picture," however they cannot argue with you as they do not have internet service

You lost me at "everything is great" sheesh, step out of the office for a bit, and walla, the corporate offices are great, until you wonder behind the building

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by dodol
Something that always makes me curious:
If we all manage to return to the source, united with God, and God decided to stop the creation
Does it mean that God is going to be alone again, in nothingness?
edit on 28-1-2013 by dodol because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-1-2013 by dodol because: (no reason given)

God cannot deal with loneliness with no slave worshiping Her (Ok, speaking from my limited experience, God is a woman). Now, stop asking silly questions, dodol.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 02:16 AM
link   
My take on the reason we exist is ultimately to appreciate what it is like NOT to exist.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Life is meaningless each and everyone of you is giving meaning to it.

Let me propose my meaning than, What is your purpose in this reality???

Peace
edit on 29-1-2013 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Yup, I can agree with that. I would put it in terms of Leela.

Lila (Sanskrit: लीला, IAST līlā), or Leela is a concept within Hinduism literally meaning "pastime", "sport" or "play". It is common to both non-dualistic and dualistic philosophical schools, but has a markedly different significance in each. Within non-dualism, Lila is a way of describing all reality, including the cosmos, as the outcome of creative play by the divine absolute (Brahman).

Atman = Brahman

'Thou art that'

All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women

...merely...

...players...

They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts

Shakespeare and the Goddess of Complete Being

edit on 29-1-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb
I am a firm believer i a single spirit that we all share. Call it God or whatever, but it is life itself.

I believe that this spirit is and always has been and has never changed.

I believe that this life essence is an infinitely great thing to behold. It is so beautiful that it has to be seen and experienced.

So the reason we, humans, exist is because life is great.

We are observers. That is our purpose. We exist because there is something, of value, to observe.

The reason we exist is to experience the self. The purpose in life is to prepare to become a part of the conglomerate consciousness again...

Jaden

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Because it gives us a direction. We desire a direction.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

That is our purpose. We exist because there is something, of value, to observe.

And that something is his truth, life and way. God is not an it.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

LIES! We are here to please ourselves, nothing more and nothing less. HAIL SATAN!!

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

i am kinda on the same page, man,
it think we exist in different shapes and sizes becouse reality needs to manifest itself in all of its forms.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I knew that was your fortay all along.. So you got me to reply big deal.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

It's spelled "forte", FYI.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join